• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:26 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess (TV)
Season 02: 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess (TV 2)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 14 volumes, written by Robinson Haruhara, illustrated by Hirakei)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Pine Jam

Genres: comedy, fantasy, slice of life

Themes: aristocracy, demi-humans, demons, food, magical items, medieval, mythology, parody, royalty

Plot Summary: A princess held captive, subjected to merciless tortures by the Hellhorde.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: January 8, 2024 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02: Pending
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 12 episodes
Season 02: Pending

Total: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

Food.. good.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Here's a couple of true statements:

1) This episode cracked me up and made me hungry.

2) I have absolutely no idea how they can make an entire cours of normal length episodes out of this premise.

Not sure my patience will last long enough to give me an answer.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:38 am Reply with quote
An amusing first episode filled with delicious food being used to commit torture. The characters are fun and the over the top drama is great, yet just like with Mr Villain I wonder if they are going to keep the same gag running for all episodes while avoiding repetition setting in. That is kind of a theme with several shows this season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I know we are only 2 episodes in, but so far the show seems to be doing a pretty good job of not making the limited premise unbearably repetitive. I still chortled lots. Now whether it can sustain over the long haul still remains to be seen but based on the scanty evidence, I'm kinda encouraged.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:47 am Reply with quote
It is indeed still the same gimmick, but the new characters and their different ways of going about the torture will keep things fresh for a while longer. I expect other surprises to pop up every now and then to keep interest up, it does not seem like it is the kind of show that is afraid to mix things up a bit.

The torture this week was varied with some funny jokes. I wonder if the demon king even wants a war in the first place though, his excuses are getting weaker and weaker. I also wonder if the princess is not secretly enjoying what is basically a vacation for her compared to her everyday life in the empire.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:49 am Reply with quote
This show reminds me of that Sleepy Princess one where the princess was supposed to be held prisoner by the evil demons but all they were doing was spoiling her rotten. I enjoyed that one, too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:05 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
This show reminds me of that Sleepy Princess one where the princess was supposed to be held prisoner by the evil demons but all they were doing was spoiling her rotten. I enjoyed that one, too.

That is exactly my thought, except I think Sleepy Princess was funnier in reversing the power dynamic in having said princess being a menace in her own rights.

I can see the comedy is going to work with the princess being at home with the demons. My favourite part so far probably being with the baby polar bear, with not only the princess being charmed but the beast tamer also having a tough time being mean. The bear also brings to mind the teddy demons that were princess Syalis's most common companion.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:00 pm Reply with quote
After episode 3 I have to wonder if she really is even caught and not subconsciously choosing to stay in her cell due to having a better time there than back home. Constant training, being lonely, a strict diet inside the castle and a lot of brutal combat while even having to deal with traitors....fun it is not.

Meanwhile in the dungeon she can eat lots of treats, go on a trip to the amusement park with friends, play around with cute animals and play games. Anyway, another bunch of solid jokes this week and I am impressed by how fresh it all still feels.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The Demon Lord's daughter was, of course, adorable. This has got to be the nicest HellHorde, like, ever. Gotta give 'em credit for taking a limited premise and keeping it pretty fresh (so far). Not an easy trick to pull off as many lesser shows have amply demonstrated over the years.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

This show is so funny, cute and heart-warming. Which is weird for a show that has the word "torture" in it, but there you go. Again, I'm amazed at how they are keeping a very limited premise from getting stale, so far. Eventually, they have to run out of juice... right?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:33 am Reply with quote
A large part of that is that the show is changing. It started of with the focus on the torture, yet it now uses said torture more and more as the start of doing something fun with friends or them getting to know each other better. Kind of slice of life like where everything starts with torture, as weird as that sounds.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:59 pm Reply with quote
This week we truly had some relaxing torture by the riverside. The episode was basically happy vacation time with friends. Enjoying the riverside, eating marshmellows (that was a delicious looking bit), grilling some fish, truly relaxing times (including a car ride back home). We also had some sauna/cold bath fun for more comf (I never found sauna's all that comfortable). As for the final bit...poor forgotten demons.
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Okay so how does this compare to Sleepy Princess In The Demon Castle. It is almost the same series, I don't see much of a difference, the princess in this series is just as much as a ditz as the princess in Sleepy Princess In The Demon Castle.

The only difference in my opinion, the demon leader plays less of a role character, and the message is a little more on the noise of demons aren't so bad.

They are both funny series, so I don't care one way or another.
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Hell Lord better cherish those moments with this daughter while he can, before she becomes an angsty teenager and wants nothing to do with you.

Last edited by zfunk on Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:37 pm Reply with quote
That really was a wholesome section, also a rare one, you do not see much interaction between parent and child in most anime, especially not wholesome interaction. The rest of the episode was also fun, the princess really has become more relaxed/spoiled/weaker due to her being treated well, she is confessing faster than ever before. No thanks for me on the cheese btw, that looked disgusting, I will never understand why people bury their food in hot cheese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3