• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ninja Kamui

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:25 pm Reply with quote
That was another really nice episode.

Looking forward to the rematch on that fight and some very nice stuff with Emma and Mike.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:14 pm Reply with quote
No ones going to mention that in Episode 7 Mari mentions her secret art is basically making it look like someone is dead when they aren't?

Cant wait till she and/or their kid shows back up.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:40 am Reply with quote
I just realized episode 9 isn’t showing in the “Your Score: Simulcast Week of 2024-04-02” when I went to rate it. Not sure where to report it so I came here Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:04 pm Reply with quote
It's there, between Yozakura and Loser Ranger.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:49 am Reply with quote
Poor Emma has been treated horribly a lot. I think she had around three fake deaths although I think nothing surpasses the one that looked like a sexual assault. If only she kept wearing the Kamui suit maybe she wouldn't have died for real.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this was definitely the weakest episode. The bonding scene at the hotel was a major telegraph that happens a lot in anime, but it doesn't help that this show in particular has done fake out deaths and near misses multiple times. I didn't believe for a second that Mike wasn't wearing a vest.

Emma was easily the most interesting character, and now she is gone. Not great for maintaining interest.

I sure hope Yamaji has some sort of decent goal. He sold out the ninjas, clearly doesn't like Joseph, and tries to take some sort of weird superiority in his threats, so what is he getting out of it?

I'm not good at noticing animation issues in general, so I didn't really see the technical issues mentioned, but what did stick out for me is that we saw the very start of Higan vs. Big D, and then end with D saying how they had this glorious battle, which I'll have to take his word for it, because most of it was off screen.

The Scream Man wrote:
No ones going to mention that in Episode 7 Mari mentions her secret art is basically making it look like someone is dead when they aren't?

Cant wait till she and/or their kid shows back up.

We'll see. It seems like the technique can be used on someone else, but not on the caster, or there may be some sort of limit to how long it lasts.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We learn that Mike has started to view Emma as a surrogate daughter after he lost his own, but as solid as these emotional gut punches are, her death still feels pretty unnecessary.

What have I said before about posting spoilers on the front page for those of us who haven't seen this week's episode yet? Bad ANN. Sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

Count yourself lucky that the [as] website already spoiled me on it, otherwise I'd be even more mad than I was then.
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:03 am Reply with quote
Emma was the glue that held this series together, as none of the other characters are strong enough on their own, or even together, to carry this show. Higan, with the personality of a piece of moss, certainly isn't.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I admit, not exactly a fan of the spoiler listed in the description for the review. If I hadn't seen the episode, I'd probably be a bit mad at seeing it. I felt similarly about the use of Lil's head as the thumbnail for the Episode 7 review, although I did expect his demise to happen within the episode regardless.

But onto the main crux of the episode... Lordy, I was MAD that Emma was killed off. Legit mad. I didn't want any of the characters to die (or at least not yet), but Emma was the one I really didn't want to see go. I was really wanting her to be able to go on and live a free life, finding a new purpose and living on in the way that Mari and Mike wanted her to. But nope, apparently she had to be killed off. I'm glad that she went out saving Mike and the two of them did have their moment at the end, but still... very frustrating. Also, I was sad that the battle between Big D and Higan was mostly off-screen. I actually liked Big D and while I expected him to be defeated eventually, I would've liked for him to get more screen time as an enemy.

I'm still enjoying this show overall, but this last episode... I dunno, I really hope the finale delivers. But I feel like it's still going to suck with the "what ifs" that is likely to be going through my head with Emma being gone.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:01 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a "ninja psych!" with Emma again. Either with her or Mari, or hell, why not both? I realize that this time she got her poignant send-off and all, but I'm not buying it until the show is over. And if they do retract her death, I'll be just as annoyed. I could look at it like "hey we got a nice death scene and a resurrection two-fer" but I won't.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, she got a long drawn-out "final moments" bit and a Viking funeral. I don't think she'll be coming back, even in the form of an Ass Pull.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:54 pm Reply with quote
In between Metallic Rouge, BUCCHIGIRI?!, and NINJA KAMUI, Winter 2024 clearly isn't lacking for shows with potentially interesting characters (or at least just consistently fun to follow) if handled by a different writing staff, can say that much. I'd say roughly in that order, but this show's got the thinnest regardless. Naomi and Rouge, Arajin and Asamine and their genie friends, and Emma and Joesph (and perhaps Yamaji?).

At least, 11-12 will be filled with climactic fights, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a mix of power suits and 'regular' ninja fisticuffs. So it probably won't stumble too hard. The power suit lows are weaker than the other lowers, but still largely not egregious.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Not really fond of today's episode. They keep expanding the backstory more and they already destroyed both Kamuis in the last minute. Guess this anime will last only one cour after all.
Delphisage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
Kinda late correction: The bearded tech guy that tagging with Joe and Mike is named Jason, not Joseph. His name and character design are explicitly based on Jason Demarco, the Toonami showrunner and executive producer for a lot of their originals, including this show.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
But onto the main crux of the episode... Lordy, I was MAD that Emma was killed off. Legit mad. I didn't want any of the characters to die (or at least not yet), but Emma was the one I really didn't want to see go. I was really wanting her to be able to go on and live a free life, finding a new purpose and living on in the way that Mari and Mike wanted her to. But nope, apparently she had to be killed off. I'm glad that she went out saving Mike and the two of them did have their moment at the end, but still... very frustrating.

I'm still enjoying this show overall, but this last episode... I dunno, I really hope the finale delivers. But I feel like it's still going to suck with the "what ifs" that is likely to be going through my head with Emma being gone.

Yup. Exactly my thoughts. Still enjoying the show and the action is still pretty great, but Emma was the show's special breakout character and sadly they killed her off and by the worst character in the show no less, and also completely unnecessarily. Plus, Higan and Mike didn't need any new motivation for the mission.

At least I guess it'll be even more satisfying when that useless punk goes, though it makes it very questionable why Yamaji didn't do it sooner (instead of it conveniently happening right after he kills Emma), since he'd been causing him trouble for some time now, way beyond after his limited usefulness had already come to end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4