• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN - Reimagined.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scøbra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:59 pm Reply with quote
ANN - Reimagined

I made a custom stylesheet for ANN. It's still being worked on but should be fine for about 90% of the website.

https://userstyles.world/style/14466/anime-news-network-reimagined

How to Install:
1. Install the Stylus Extension.
2. Install the userstyle from here.

Homepage

3 Column Grid

Sticky Header

Highlighted Posts

Note: Requires Adblock OR ANN Subscription
Also, some parts in some pages might not display properly.

Github: https://github.com/ft-scobra/Anime-News-Network-Reimagined

EDIT: Thanks for all the replied and feedback. This started out as a project to test my CSS skills as I had just finished one course and wanted some practice. A lot of your suggestions are things I've thought about before but afaik, there isn't a way to implement some features purely through CSS (Eg.Header when scroll up). I have a JS course this semester so I'll probably update it once I know more stuff. Thanks for all the feedback!

Last edited by Scøbra on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am Reply with quote
This is pretty cool looking. Nice work! ANN could certainly use a face lift.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am Reply with quote
Nah, the ANN front page works just fine. It is hard to tell, but all I can see this doing is changing white to black for background. The site is unlikely to give up the revenue from advertising skins in any case.'

In my experience, every time a web page is reimagined or updated something is lost. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Very nice! Smile

A few notes:
• Instead of a userstyle that requires an extension, it could be done as a user skin (using Model = Advanced)
• Always-on sticky header is not good UX. When reading an article you don't want that stuff in the way. What we do on mobile is to show a sticky header when the user scrolls up a little bit. I guess we could do it on desktop as well, but going to the top of the page is as simple as hitting the "Home" key.
• Highlighted posts is the sidebar but in horizontal format... I see, very interesting idea. Of course if you have 10 posts it gets a bit funky.

Alan45 wrote:
In my experience, every time a web page is reimagined or updated something is lost. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I agree, but here what Scøbra is doing is not a full redesign (which tend to break things) but just some cosmetic re-styling. There's still some risk of breaking stuff but not as much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm Reply with quote
@ Alan45 - I just find ANN very visually drab and this looks more interesting to me.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

To each his own, as the old lady said as she kissed the cow. Very Happy

I'm not here to see something visually stimulating. I'm here to read the news and follow the forums. Basically I want something easy to read and navigate. I find the black background with light colored type to be visually distracting and eye straining. It reminds me of Crunchyroll's site. I should point out that on the current front page I use the Text only Compact View. No thumbnails.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1