• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Elusive Samurai Reveals 1st Short Promo Video, July Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:36 pm Reply with quote
The visuals look nice!
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:55 am Reply with quote
Already shaping up to be AOTS for me. One of my favourite ongoing jump titles. Hopefully, the anime will encourage more people to read the manga
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:43 am Reply with quote
Why are the cast names in western format while the character names are in Japanese format (surname first)?

For that matter, why hasn't ANN adopted the Japanese name format already? I remember a few years back Japan announced that they would switch to traditional format in international correspondence, presumably with the hope that it caught on, but it never did, unlike with Chinese and Korean names.
James02

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:09 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Why are the cast names in western format while the character names are in Japanese format (surname first)?

For that matter, why hasn't ANN adopted the Japanese name format already? I remember a few years back Japan announced that they would switch to traditional format in international correspondence, presumably with the hope that it caught on, but it never did, unlike with Chinese and Korean names.

Preference? That's what I'm thinking.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:45 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:

As I have said before,
ANN wrote the name of the Japanese person 金田一京助, who was born in Meiji 15 (1882), as Kyōsuke Kindaichi (given name + surname).
ANN wrote the name of the Japanese person 德川慶久, who was born in Meiji 17 (1884), as Tokugawa Yoshihisa (surname + given name).
ANN wrote the name of the Japanese person 井手久美子, who was born in Taishō 11 (1922), as Kumiko Ide (given name + surname) in the article in which Tokugawa Yoshihisa was mentioned.

Again I wonder whether Anime News Network has a manual-of-style-like coherent rule name order-wise about writing the names of Japanese persons who were, say, born in the Meiji period in its articles.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:56 am Reply with quote
Animation looks good so far, but I’ll need to see how the action looks.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:20 am Reply with quote
Wow, everyone has more colorful designs than I anticipated. I like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1