• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Train to the End of the World (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:20 pm Reply with quote

Train to the End of the World (TV)

Source: Original

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: EMT Squared

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, mystery, psychological

Themes: anthropomorphs, CGDCT (Cute Girls Doing Cute Things), post-apocalyptic, transformations

Plot Summary: In a town in a not-so-ordinary countryside, there is a big and strange occurrence happening to its residents. But a young girl named Shizuru Chikura has a strong desire to see her lost friend again. Shizuru and three other girls board an abandoned train, and they set out to the outside world, where survival is not certain. They'll discover what awaits them at the last stop of the "Doomsday Train."

Air Date & Platform:
April 1, 2024 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

Kind of odd to me that it's getting a manga adaptation before the anime even comes out. Must be popular or just that good?

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, though it looks like it might turn from cute to horror on the drop of a hat.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm intrigued and looking forward to this one.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Kind of odd to me that it's getting a manga adaptation before the anime even comes out. Must be popular or just that good?

This is actually not that unusual. It's a marketing thing; having a manga going means they get to have fans before the anime starts airing (hopefully). This is an old example, but for some reason it's stuck with me: back in 2013 there were people who thought A Lull in the Sea was a manga adaptation because the manga started 6 months before the anime.

It's an anime-original, so it's certainly not popular yet! (But I have faith in the Tsutomu Mizushima/Michiko Yokote combo. So I certainly hope it's good.)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
But I have faith in the Tsutomu Mizushima/Michiko Yokote combo. So I certainly hope it's good.

The duo behind Genshiken?! I'm definitely watching this, then.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:39 am Reply with quote
Huh, well, I have no idea what I expected going in, but the first episode sure was a wild start. The condition of Japan/the world? is really out there and judging by all the bloody handprints on those delivery vehicles (with mounted guns I may add) it is not all that safe either. It also seems like turning into an animal (possibly both in mind and body eventually) is far from the worst way to end up.

No idea where it will go, but give me a ticket to the train please.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

That was pretty trippy. And actually what I liked was that even though this is obviously a wonky world, the early indication is that the show will adhere to a system of internal logic so that even though virtually anything can go, it won't just be constant chaos and weirdness. It seems like there will be a certain amount of groundedness. Anyway, I'm onboard.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Yah, I got pulled in by the weird world and the barrage of strange moments too. Just when I got acclimated to all the talking animals, the delivery service decked out like Mad Max vehicles would appear, or the choo choo guy would suddenly reclaim his sanity at the drop of a hat, and so on. The first episode definitely kept me interested
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:01 am Reply with quote

Picked this up on a whim, and it's a strange one even if the plot itself (journey after the world has ended) has been covered in other works.

The catalyst for the end of the world is frankly outlandish, but it makes sense as only the wildest imaginations given form in reality could warp reality to the extent it has by the first episode. It's curious how children are spared metamorphosis until they reach the age or 21 years and 3 months rather than standard coming of age at 20 years, perhaps more will be revealed as the episodes air.

The unlucky student who pressed the button to trigger the end of civilization has had to survive on her own for over two years in an alien landscape. That's going to do a number on her character and personality, unlike her friends who stayed in the outskirts together. She's still given top billing in the OP, so it remains to be seen what happened and what will happen if they reunite.

No idea what the main story is going to be, since the button press isn't reversible. Maybe it's the journey that counts?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:37 am Reply with quote
I am intrigued, but a little worried as the last anime to be so weird kind of ended up going nowhere as it devolved things like weird time stuff and references that I couldn't understand if they had meaning or were for the sake of it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:47 am Reply with quote
That is always the risk with anime that have such an outlandish setting/theme. At some point you need a coherent story or direction, if not then you end up with a lot of weird moments that do not really go anywhere or connect.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:05 am Reply with quote
As I said in my last post, my instinct is that this isn't going to go the "weird for the sake of weird" route but of course the proof will be in the pudding. I think you are referring to that Wonder Egg show, DP. Yeah, I hope it doesn't go that way.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:55 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
As I said in my last post, my instinct is that this isn't going to go the "weird for the sake of weird" route but of course the proof will be in the pudding. I think you are referring to that Wonder Egg show, DP. Yeah, I hope it doesn't go that way.

Wonder Egg is bad in my mind for its ending, but I was more thinking of Sonny Boy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:48 am Reply with quote
Oh, that one. I didn't even finish it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:58 am Reply with quote
There were so many messages and developments in Sonny Boy that I still have no idea what I was supposed to take from it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4