• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Certainly when I'm watching a show about huge monsters attacking cities, I expect and demand the hyper-realism and careful attention to "world-building" detail that such a premise demands. Rolling Eyes

Like that winged bug parasite that infects Kafka... are we expected to believe it could actually fly? I betcha it's mass exceeded the lift capability of its so-called "wings." What flagrant aerodynamically impossible bullshit, man. And a Japanese person with the first name of Kafka? Really? How likely is that as realistic nomenclature? Yeah, I'm out.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I know, right?
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:03 am Reply with quote
Whisper Me a Love Song is another one I am cautiously optimistic about. The first episode was good; it seemed like the plot progressed very quickly. At this pace, it's hard to imagine this story taking a full season to tell, unless we end up getting a lot of padding, probably in the form of subplots we won't care about.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

I would suggest that having a clean up crew dealing with tons of monster meat is a step closer to realism than most such shows provide. Also, world building doesn't need to be completed in the first episode.

Can you imagine the usual D&D dungeon if monsters didn't dissolve into dust when killed?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Can you imagine the usual D&D dungeon if monsters didn't dissolve into dust when killed?

We don't need to imagine it, since it's airing this season (i.e., Delicious in Dungeon).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:07 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Blood-

I would suggest that having a clean up crew dealing with tons of monster meat is a step closer to realism than most such shows provide.

I totally agree. The irony of that is part of the reason for my sarcastic responses... a sarcasm that I'm starting to suspect you are not perceiving.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
@Blood-

I would suggest that having a clean up crew dealing with tons of monster meat is a step closer to realism than most such shows provide.

I totally agree. The irony of that is part of the reason for my sarcastic responses... a sarcasm that I'm starting to suspect you are not perceiving.

To be fair, you also had me wondering if you were being sarcastic or not until I remembered what you said in the thread about the series in the Series Discussion forum!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:10 pm Reply with quote
@Beltane70... see, that's the problem... my wit is simply too sophisticated for y'all... Wink
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I thought Alan45 was acknowledging the sarcasm but was making a counterpoint (i.e., that the world encourages us to take some of its small details more seriously than the usual kaiju show). Ambiguity reigns supreme.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:02 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

Oh, I perceived the sarcasm alright. I just felt like countering it. Very Happy The best counter irritant to sarcasm is to take it completely seriously.

My belief is that each fantasy story creates its own reality. It doesn't matter if this reality is shared with other stories, is free standing or some mix of both. Within that reality, anything goes as long as it doesn't break the spell. In anime, that includes the technical aspects. That is I'm not concerned with the quality of the animation as long as it doesn't intrude. What will break the spell is something that will differ from person to person. That is why one person's fun is someone else's cringe worthy show. That said, while it is perfectly reasonable to explain that you don't like something and why, there is no need to go no about it. Just watch something else.

What I really don't like is people who feel that since they don't like something, no one should be permitted to like it and go on a quest to bring enlightenment to the masses.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:36 pm Reply with quote
This season seems to be an especially good example of one of the most common problems with current anime releases; tiny adaptations. We regularly get material thats mid-quality and mid-popularity but has 30 light novel volumes, 20 manga volumes, whatever. A condition called love, re;monster, gods games we play, most isekai material really (lets leave aside if these are any good anyway).

This material is adapted into a single 12 episode cour, essentially to advertise the original work and with no realistic prospect of a full adaptation ever.

Occasionally this works reasonably well and the studio finds a good stopping point. Most of the time the anime viewer is being given 10% of a story, and told to go read 20 books for the rest (which in many cases may never exist in english, though thats a decreasing problem).

I read books and comics, possibly more than I watch anime, but I watch anime in order to watch anime. With so few anime originals, it feels like stepping outside of bigger hits is just a road to nowhere.
MauValmont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Astro Boy is so dull but as a huge Maison Ikkoku fan, I'm still watching just to catch all the references.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:05 am Reply with quote
Eilavel wrote:
Quote:
This material is adapted into a single 12 episode cour, essentially to advertise the original work and with no realistic prospect of a full adaptation ever.

This is slowly beginning to change. I think that streaming and international sales are changing the industry from anime as an advertisment to anime as a thing in itself. This is manifest in older shows being brought back (Fruits Basket, Urusei Yatsura) and more shows being announced for two or more cours. In addition a number of series are getting multiple seasons (Konosuba, Irregular at magic High school, Apothecary Diaries etc.).

The problem with anime as a thing in itself is that it lives or dies on popularity. Anime as an advertisment can be made at a loss because the difference can be made up on sales of the source material. Anime that is not an advertisment will not continue to be made if it doesn't sell. Only the most popular will have longevity.

Anime originals are always going to be a crapshoot. They don't have the proven track record and existing fan base of adaptions and don't have the owner of the original IP covering the costs. Only a few anime studios have the reserves to take such a risk. Again, if they are not immediately popular they are not renewed and you get a truncated story.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:50 am Reply with quote
Anime adaptations that don't include all the source material is definitely a problem but there's also a related, if less serious, problem. And that's when there is an unduly long wait time between cours. If I really like a show, waiting for, like, 6 years for a continuation is not cool.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:35 am Reply with quote
Eilavel wrote:
This season seems to be an especially good example of one of the most common problems with current anime releases; tiny adaptations. We regularly get material thats mid-quality and mid-popularity but has 30 light novel volumes, 20 manga volumes, whatever. A condition called love, re;monster, gods games we play, most isekai material really (lets leave aside if these are any good anyway).

Occasionally this works reasonably well and the studio finds a good stopping point. Most of the time the anime viewer is being given 10% of a story, and told to go read 20 books for the rest (which in many cases may never exist in english, though thats a decreasing problem).

I read books and comics, possibly more than I watch anime, but I watch anime in order to watch anime. With so few anime originals, it feels like stepping outside of bigger hits is just a road to nowhere.

To add to what others have said on this, what you're describing isn't a recent trend. You might have to go as far back as the '70s to find a time period when adaptations didn't prevail in TV anime, and even then I'm not sure how true that might have been. (The OVA boom of the mid-80s through late 90s was predominately original content, but most of those releases were either one-shots or shorter than a full cour.) Single-cour series making up the bulk of the content is a bit more recent; I want to say this became more common in the mid-to-late 2000s. Regardless of the specifics, it's been going on for well more than a decade now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:11 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Single-cour series making up the bulk of the content is a bit more recent; I want to say this became more common in the mid-to-late 2000s. Regardless of the specifics, it's been going on for well more than a decade now.

Early experiments were done in the 90s (like Metal Fighter Miku & Shinken Legend, both in 1994), before Those Who Hunt Elves became the first "late-night single-cour anime infomercial" in late 1996, which opened the floodgates that would eventually make that concept the primary way anime gets made, which happened around 2004 or so.

The funny thing is that, even as far back as 1998, anime directors like Toshifumi Kawase were already pointing out how problematic the concept would become for the industry & its workers if it was allowed to blow up, which it wound up doing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 31