• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Anime Adaptations That Aren't As Good As They Should Be

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:19 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Shinobi no Ittoki was mid. Biscuit Hammer's "anime" was a hate crime.

Agree with you on the first, agree to disagree on the second.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Hoshi no Samidare wasn't that bad as an adaptation since there's much worse than it to be more honest and fair ike Taboo Tattoo had it's author guidance and was really bad or FGO Grand Order and God of High School being a pain in chore as an adaptation despite their productions being good to decent at the lowest.
MartinWisse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Ganbare Dōki-chan might have been disappointing but the earlier Miru Tights shows that you can have a stockings/pantyhose fetish anime as good or better than the source material.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:

Comparing it to actually competent current adaptation of Mizukami's work, Sengoku Youko, just show how horribly Biscuit was treated. I love Mizukami's stories, I liked the characters and yet I had to drop it quickly since it was barely watchable. The only good I got from this was to remind me to finish the source manga and forget about anime.

Ragna Crimson had visibly low quality adaptation, but it tried to make it look cool at times in its own way, though it was also pretty bad with pacing. Witch and the Beast had often awful animation, seriosly, fights looked awful unlike in manga, but at least put it all into cool character drawing and still scenery, even if pacing was also too slow in the middle. In comparison, Biscuit Hammer had... maybe a little of the original manga's humour, but even that was reduced by removing most of the "pervert jokes" that helped in early parts.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:07 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The is nothing harder to draw than a horse, even before you have to add motion. DP has no reason to skip out on Steel Ball Run or phone it in but that production will kill people unless they don´t take sizable breaks.

Blade of the Immortal went from having a decent adaption to one of the most hacked-together adaptations of all time on basically all levels. A good candidate for an all-time disaster. 7 SEEDs S1 is of course as bad as Berserk S2 and even more incomplete. I wonder how many people know that its 2nd season is less of an abortion? It "adapts" less than half of what S1 went for and has fewer rewriting issues to solve the gaps. These 2 shows are modern legends. Show me a fan of those and I will show you a liar. Slideshow of Ragnarok wishes that there was as much to say about it as what went wrong with those 2 shows.

7SEEDS might get another sequel you never know so maybe stopped there in case of that.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:32 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:

Comparing it to actually competent current adaptation of Mizukami's work, Sengoku Youko, just show how horribly Biscuit was treated. I love Mizukami's stories, I liked the characters and yet I had to drop it quickly since it was barely watchable. The only good I got from this was to remind me to finish the source manga and forget about anime.

Ragna Crimson had visibly low quality adaptation, but it tried to make it look cool at times in its own way, though it was also pretty bad with pacing. Witch and the Beast had often awful animation, seriosly, fights looked awful unlike in manga, but at least put it all into cool character drawing and still scenery, even if pacing was also too slow in the middle. In comparison, Biscuit Hammer had... maybe a little of the original manga's humour, but even that was reduced by removing most of the "pervert jokes" that helped in early parts.

Biscuit Hammer had good character designs but despite being inconsistent because of its tight production , it was still servable
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:12 am Reply with quote
TWaTB was also a favorite of mine last season. Speaking of adaptations that don't do their source material justice, top of mind is 2022's Requiem of the Rose King; like TWaTB, it shows a bit of what could have been through its use of colors in some of its stills.

Another one that I'm lowkey bitter about is Altair: A Record of Battles way back in 2017 (damn 7 years sure went by so quickly), which while looking decent for the most part (it's MAPPA after all), rushed through some parts of the manga. It ended up being a forgettable production.

It seems historical fiction just aren't very lucky when it comes to adaptations (the only exception I can think of right away is Heike Monogatari EDIT: oof, and ofc Vinland Saga). It's probably the horses' fault after all Laughing
Tanonymous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:33 am Reply with quote
Infinite Dendrogram is one anime I think of whenever I think of an aggressively mid adaptation. Although, truth be told I watched that anime only because I absolutely love Imai Kami's work in the past, and I think he was only the artist for the manga adaptation but that was still enough to get me to watch it. Another contender for a really middle of the road adaptation for me would have to be the 2021 reboot of Shaman King, I wish Bridge was given a higher episode count for that adaptation. Considering it was a Netflix Original, you'd think it would be given more love and care, but nope. A shame too, even if the animation quality was the same (very standard nothing special animation), at least the pacing would've slowed down to make someone who hasn't read the manga care more for the characters and given the story more room to breathe. It's more of a shame too considering Mappa at one point in the mid 2010s wanted to adapt the series but couldn't because the author was very stubborn about keeping the same VAs and singer for the openings, so they couldn't get the greenlight. That's why I can't be too hard on studio Bridge, I'm grateful that the adaptation was something that happened in the first place, but it's ultimately disappointing as someone who loves Shaman King.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love when someone mistakes "not my vibe" with "bad." Chainsaw Man is a very well done show, but it's also a weird show. And it's okay to not like the weird show. But it ain't bad. I don't like most idol shows, but I wouldn't say they're default bad just because they're not my jam, or use CG.

A show I loved that was definitely strangled by its budget was Ascendance of a Bookworm. They couldn't even swing a full cour for its latest season. So color me surprised when Studio Wit took it on. I don't know of many shows that were handed off to a better studio between seasons. Usually it's like One Punch Man where it's passed down from an S-tier team to a C-tier team.
Nev999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:34 am Reply with quote
Re: Otherside picnic LNs I'd rec picking up the third light novel if you haven't that's when the series really makes what it's cooking clear. I was sad when I realized the anime wouldn't get to it. Of course, I deeply enjoyed the first two light novels anyway, so I guess you could think different.

The Otherside Picnic manga is pretty good too, it definitely nails the monster design and atmosphere better than the anime did, and does more justice to the story.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Here's one if it counts, Ichi the Killer: Episode 0, a prequel to the Manga. The worst Anime I have ever watched, a title that fails at every single aspect of production: art, animation, audio, writing and acting.

On the subject of horses. If not for the hellish production system, they could do what they did on the production of Spirit, have the animators study a real horse so as better to bring them to live. But alas, they have neither the time nor money for that.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
FishLion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:59 pm Reply with quote
SaneSavantElla wrote:
It seems historical fiction just aren't very lucky when it comes to adaptations (the only exception I can think of right away is Heike Monogatari EDIT: oof, and ofc Vinland Saga). It's probably the horses' fault after all Laughing

I think in a way history perverts are as relevant to that as tights perverts, the strength of historical fiction comes from a loving use of the setting. I think comic artists who pour their heart and soul into all the little details of a historical fiction are way more likely to make something compelling than a team of people adapting that work who may be unaware of the nuances that appealed to the artist in the first place
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:39 am Reply with quote
A big disappointment for me was the "Beast Player Erin" adaptation. I loved the book, and liked the character designs and general look of the anime. But the adaptors seemed to think they were making a latter-day World Masterpiece Theater show. While the concept of a young girl alone on a journey meeting various people along the way does sound very WMT on its face, this is a detailed fantasy setting, not a 19th century YA novel, and if felt like the show was trying hard to bend the story into a mold that it didn't quite fit. I don't know; the approach might well have worked with better writing and more subtlety, but this adaptation turned a YA novel into a kids' show, and not a very a good one.

One point that stung was the introduction of an antagonist late in the story; in the book, we like him at first, and the author lets us like him for a good while before revealing his true colors. In the anime, he gets a standard evil guy design that gives away the game the moment we see him.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:31 am Reply with quote
Tanonymous wrote:
Infinite Dendrogram is one anime I think of whenever I think of an aggressively mid adaptation. Although, truth be told I watched that anime only because I absolutely love Imai Kami's work in the past, and I think he was only the artist for the manga adaptation but that was still enough to get me to watch it. Another contender for a really middle of the road adaptation for me would have to be the 2021 reboot of Shaman King, I wish Bridge was given a higher episode count for that adaptation. Considering it was a Netflix Original, you'd think it would be given more love and care, but nope. A shame too, even if the animation quality was the same (very standard nothing special animation), at least the pacing would've slowed down to make someone who hasn't read the manga care more for the characters and given the story more room to breathe. It's more of a shame too considering Mappa at one point in the mid 2010s wanted to adapt the series but couldn't because the author was very stubborn about keeping the same VAs and singer for the openings, so they couldn't get the greenlight. That's why I can't be too hard on studio Bridge, I'm grateful that the adaptation was something that happened in the first place, but it's ultimately disappointing as someone who loves Shaman King.

Kodansha is who decide on the number of episodes of shaman king and probably did the same with it as was with Karakuri Circus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2