• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Are We Experiencing a Retro Anime Gold Rush?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:48 am Reply with quote
I think this is why physical media needs to make a comeback.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Slap across the face everytime I meet someone who's like "I won't watch anime older than 2010 bc thats too old/has old animation".

Personally I won’t watch any TV anime from before 1963.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:04 am Reply with quote
Tanonymous wrote:
I was looking at the list of Funimation titles lost to streaming, and they were crazy interesting. Hidive honestly needs to take advantage of this and grab at least a couple of those titles (Lain, Slayers, Escaflowne, Sengoku Basara, etc.) and prop the hell out of their app.
Is that even possible. Wouldn't they need to get permission from CR, before they would be able to stream them? They only got the home media rights to titles like Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! and Granbelm, after CR sublicenced them.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:14 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Tanonymous wrote:
I was looking at the list of Funimation titles lost to streaming, and they were crazy interesting. Hidive honestly needs to take advantage of this and grab at least a couple of those titles (Lain, Slayers, Escaflowne, Sengoku Basara, etc.) and prop the hell out of their app.
Is that even possible. Wouldn't they need to get permission from CR, before they would be able to stream them? They only got the home media rights to titles like Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! and Granbelm, after CR sublicenced them.

Yeah, just because those titles are no longer streaming, due to FUNimation's website being shut down, it doesn't meant that they aren't licensed anymore. Once any of those shows' licenses come up on their expiration dates Crunchyroll will have to decide whether to renew the license (which, in turn, would likely result in them being added to CR proper) or to simply let it expire. Only then would any other company be able to rescue one or some of those shows & make them legally available again.

In other words, if CR doesn't eventually add them to its service then they likely won't be available again for a while, depending on how much longer any of those respective licenses have left. While CR was more open to sublicensing prior to the Sony/FUNimation purchase it seems as though that avenue has now been shut down completely.
Tanonymous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, just because those titles are no longer streaming, due to FUNimation's website being shut down, it doesn't meant that they aren't licensed anymore.

Yeah, that's true, honestly I'm just speculating cause we don't really know the exact specifics and might never. I just find it odd that all these titles still aren't on CR, that tells me that it's either lack of confidence in these specific anime to perform well enough to justify server costs or some weird stipulation in these specific streaming contracts that maybe only the Funimation brand itself could carry these anime until it expires.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Even with the recent additions, we're in a bit of a trough / net-loss situation when it comes to retro classics being available, thanks to the shutdown of Funimation. The most prominent examples I'd lament losing are:

Outlaw Star, Escaflowne TV/Movie, Tenchi Muyo OVAs 1-3 + Tenchi Universe, Slayers TV S1-5, the .hack entries (although Sign was already gone before), Outlaw Star, the Wolf's Rain OVA, Eureka 7, FLCL, Black Butler

A lot of the lost Funi exclusives fall under a few categories, such as:
* Aniplex titles from 6-12 years ago that they don't feel like distributing anymore.
* License rescues from other companies (Geneon, Bandai, ADV, CPM).
* Sublicense/streaming deals with Rightstuf/Nozomi, which should be theoretically be owned by the same overall group now.
* Non-televised titles, like Movies/OVAs/ONAs, that Sony is apparently opposed to having available outside of home video releases.

Lucas wrote:
Ah, dehydrated piss yellow. The color of all anime subtitles until like 2012 for some reason.

Good thing literally no other colors have any possible unseemly bodily-fluid associations, particularly not white. And the reasons for the use of yellow are not exactly a mystery, and some companies like Sentai and Discotek use similar to this day. (Though Funimation did switch to white back in 2004 or 2005.)

Justin Sevakis wrote:
Yellow was actually the de-facto color for video text for many years, no matter what the video underneath was. Back in the bad old days of analog video, the decision to use yellow was based on what colors could easily be generated by the 8-Bit computers used for captioning, and which of those best survived that era's crappy, blurry, static-filled world of video tape and broadcast: white had a tendency to get blown out or distorted, red and blue tended to "bleed" outside of the subtitle area. Green is known to slow down eye motion, so that was out. Yellow was readable, fairly stable, and relatively inoffensive to the eyes, and so that's what became the standard. In fact, if you go back and watch YouTube clips of vintage early 80s television, you'll see a LOT of yellow text.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:44 pm Reply with quote
As someone who joined an anime club in the mid-1990s that showed mainly VHS fansubs, I still find it weird to this day when modern anime subtitles aren't yellow.

I'm definitely happy that Discotek exists for new physical releases of older anime. That being said, I still only have one single Discotek release, the Blu-Ray of the original Project A-ko movie. I'd probably have several more Discotek Blu-Rays by now if I was actually able to order them from inside Canada considering that, even when there's a Discotek sale at one of the essentially two major online anime retailers that are still around, the cross-border shipping fees are a major disincentive, especially in those cases where I would like to upgrade from DVD but the DVDs still work. (I really wish online anime retailers would still offer surface USPS shipping options to Canada, I don't mind waiting two or three weeks as long as I'm only paying around $10 U.S. above the cost of the Blu-Ray itself.)

I'm feeling the pain of not even having the option to buy many new shows I like on physical media (without importing Japanese Blu-Rays which frequently don't even have English subtitles). I can't believe that it's been seven years now and we still don't have a North American Blu-Ray release of Gabriel DropOut considering just how many times I've seen goofy Satania meme faces as thumbnails on videos from Youtubers that don't even primarily talk about anime. The only Blu-Ray release I have of an anime series from this decade is Non Non Biyori Non-Stop and I suspect that one only got a North American Blu-Ray release because the first two seasons and the movie also had one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:23 am Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
I think this is why physical media needs to make a comeback.

I can say the same here as someone who is both a fan of physical media and also streaming (although I have a love-hate relationship with streaming in general, with my hate for it has been increasing over the years).

Also a bit tangent but somewhat relatable, there's been a big mainstream resurgence popularity in retrogaming for the last 5-6 years. The Guardian had a report on young Gen Z gamers playing retro video game as in playing video made that were made before that demographic was born.

It does make me wonder if older retro anime could see a sort of mainstream revival within the anime community in the same manner that retro games from previous generation are getting this current generation. I did encounter this Reddit thread (created last year) about younger anime fans watching older/retro anime from another decade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nyaa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:57 am Reply with quote
Yellow subtitles? I love em'! I always redo subtitles on everything I watch and nothing beats a Tahoma bold font with a thick black outline and a small shadow for legibility. What use are subs if you can't read the damn things? White subs with a thin font and a thin black outline are almost impossible to read under most circumstances. Sentai does pickup more new titles than you'd expect.
Rob J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:16 pm Reply with quote
"Man, idk if this is the best place to do it, but I'd like to formally pitch a "Do You Remember This Anime" recurring column for ANN. Because people don't! People don't remember anime that isn't immediately in front of them and are actively hyped up on social media!"

I'd read this! FIftysomething anime n00bs like me gotta learn about older stuff not named Robotech or Akira somehow.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:39 am Reply with quote
Rob J. wrote:
I'd read this! FIftysomething anime n00bs like me gotta learn about older stuff not named Robotech or Akira somehow.

Other things to explore are great old anime OP/ED/INS/character songs.

Sorcerer Hunters ED Mask:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX3dY8wratA

Most great anime has great music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2