• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Screen Haikyu!! The Dumpster Battle, BLUELOCK The Movie -Episode Nagi-, Overlor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Still no word on Girls Band Cry, Blue Archive, or Rinkai! ?

Aside from Rinkai! (which, according to comments I've seen, is on par with Highspeed and not in the good way...) I'm still hoping someone might snatch the former two. Otherwise we're limited to either a translation from French or fansubs for Girls Band Cry, or corrected Ani1 subs or fansubs for the latter two.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:07 pm Reply with quote
It seems Girl's Band Cry not being picked up by anyone is just because Toei doesn't want to, I guess?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll starting CinemaCon by saying they were helping to keep theaters afloat (after a tribute to Godzilla) is some hard flexing from them. Even if anime movies tend to be pretty front loaded affairs, they are big boosters in a 2024 that’s going to be pretty anemic scheduling wise.

On a more humorous note, I saw several reporters saying the first ten minutes of Code White made them want to start watching Spy X Family before the movie hits theaters.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I wait for Episode Nagi movie!
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
It's kinda wild how Crunchy picked up quite the "stuff" like Re:Monster this season, but not even tried to bank for a Blue Archive despite it's quite popular even in West.

Also, there is no news for Kaii to Otome to Kamikakushi/Mysterious Disappearances either despite it's run starting tomorrow - so it's safe to assume it's also abandoned beyond hope.
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
It's kinda wild how Crunchy picked up quite the "stuff" like Re:Monster this season, but not even tried to bank for a Blue Archive despite it's quite popular even in West.

Also, there is no news for Kaii to Otome to Kamikakushi/Mysterious Disappearances either despite it's run starting tomorrow - so it's safe to assume it's also abandoned beyond hope.

Its very possible that they didn't want to license the show out to anyone else for exclusivity/legal reasons or they simply just didn't want it to stream on Crunchyroll.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Its very possible that they didn't want to license the show out to anyone else for exclusivity/legal reasons or they simply just didn't want it to stream on Crunchyroll.
Exclusivity... for what though? In SEA and parts of Asia, BA simulcasts episodes on YouTube of all things on the Ani-One Channel (and it's not even the Premium part of it, it's free access), so I don't think some other competitors like Netflix even tried to purchase it in NA.

More like Crunchy management itself doesn't want that considering the gun shooting theme among the students - which is also hypocritical considering they're running other controversial things this season (again, Re:Monster), let alone BA has nearly zero actual violence on screen.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:35 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

More like Crunchy management itself doesn't want that considering the gun shooting theme among the students -

Why would they pass on it for that reason while having no problem with Lycoris Recoil?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:39 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Why would they pass on it for that reason while having no problem with Lycoris Recoil?
LycoReco is an Aniplex-produced show, so they just can't bite the hand that feeds them.

In BA case... I don't even know the reason. Really, it's just the only thing that comes to mind because there are zero excuses at this point.
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:53 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Glordit wrote:
Exclusivity... for what though? In SEA and parts of Asia, BA simulcasts episodes on YouTube of all things on the Ani-One Channel (and it's not even the Premium part of it, it's free access), so I don't think some other competitors like Netflix even tried to purchase it in NA.

More like Crunchy management itself doesn't want that considering the gun shooting theme among the students - which is also hypocritical considering they're running other controversial things this season (again, Re:Monster), let alone BA has nearly zero actual violence on screen.

Again, they might not want to license it out, we really don't know the reason why.

Crunchyroll not licensing it because of "kids with guns" is dumb, and even you know it.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:20 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

...What? Lol. I seriously doubt that is the reason why CR hasn't licensed this... It's either a late license pick up (like Bang Bang Bravern last season) or the publisher doesn't want to license it out to anybody outside of Asia for whatever reasons.

You're more than welcome to fly out to Nexon's HQ (publisher of the mobile game and anime) in South Korea and ask them why won't they license it to anybody outside Asia.

Last edited by paulchaested on Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Glad to finally get news on the Haikyu movie, since Netflix started adding the rest of the series I was starting to wonder if they had picked it up. Hopefully the FuniRoll overlords are kind enough to release it on disk later.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:

This is just speculation but from the looks of it, this seems to be Nexon's (S. Korean publisher and IP owner of the mobile game) very first major anime that they're publishing. Maybe they're not very familiar with the international licensing process and are probably still negotiating with CR if it is indeed being licensed out.

I'd keep expectations in check though because we don't if it will be streamed.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:26 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
This is just speculation but from the looks of it, this seems to be Nexon's (S. Korean publisher and IP owner of the mobile game) very first major anime that they're publishing.
Nexon has barely anything with the production of BA anime - it's the usual PC-produced title, and Yostar (as JP publisher of the game) is involved way more in the anime production than Nexon itself (like with Arknights and Azur Lane) - nor is it really the first Nexon anime either considering DFO/Arad Senki.

Everything seems to be more points on the licensing companies themselves, especially considering we missed out more than just BA this season - and it seems like no one even bothers to pick other titles either, considering Crunchy already announced their "last" reveals with Demon Slayer and HIDIVE is already out of the question.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Glad about the Haikyuu movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2