• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Super Robot Island: Dork of the Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:33 am Reply with quote
Voltes V!!! Daimos!!! Robot Jox!!! (oh wait) Laughing
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:43 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Voltes V!!! Daimos!!! Robot Jox!!! (oh wait) Laughing

Hehe.

Voltes V and Daimos both had movie-edit releases in the U.S., so maybe they're not obscure enough for this column?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm pretty sure Justin has told the full Machine Robo story on the podcast at some point, but if he hasn't, I'll pester him to do it on the next episode.

To my knowledge he hasn't, and I love Justin's stories about working for CPM.
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Zac wrote:
I'm pretty sure Justin has told the full Machine Robo story on the podcast at some point, but if he hasn't, I'll pester him to do it on the next episode.

It's in the review on Episode 63a, around the 1:20:00 point, and it's not a particularly long story.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
... I liked Baldios, so what? :p
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Zac wrote:

It's in the review on Episode 63a, around the 1:20:00 point, and it's not a particularly long story.

To be honest, while Justin did work at CPM and knows about the story, he wasn't there when CPM actually licensed it and therefore probably doesn't know every little detail about how it happened and what the general reaction was to this accidental licensing. He probably just knows the basic story and not much more than that.

John Sirabella, head of Media Blasters, was with CPM when they did Machine Robo and Dancougar's VHS releases. More than likely Sirabella can tell a more in-depth and entertaining story about Machine Robo, especially since he's admitted that he hated working on the show (though he loves the opening theme). That's what I would love to see: An ANNCast with John Sirabella where he and Justin just talk about their differing experiences at CPM; mid-to-late-90s vs. early-to-mid-2000s.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Dunno about my favorite, but the ones I want to see here are Raideen, Xabungle, and Jeeg. And that Getter Robo OAV with the cowboy mecha.

Shin Getter vs. Neo Getter? Yeah, kinda odd how that one never got licensed despite being the shortest of the three OVAs (also WAAAYYY less confusing than Getter Robo Armageddon).

Pfft, who cares about Voltron? It was all about Saber Rider around here! Man, I'd love to see the original version get a sub only release like GoLion...

Ultra-transforming Magic Robot Ginguiser is GLORIOUS!

Also, obligatory demand for Shin Mazinger to be licensed and for Imagawa to finally get off his butt and make Great-Hen (not mention the rest of the Giant Robo OVAs...).
doctorx0079

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
An ANNCast with John Sirabella where he and Justin just talk about their differing experiences at CPM; mid-to-late-90s vs. early-to-mid-2000s.

THIS

I also want to mention that Starbirds, the US "movie" edit of Daimos, is horrible, but the crappy dub is funny and you can find it a lot of places these days.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:

Also, obligatory demand for Shin Mazinger to be licensed and for Imagawa to finally get off his butt and make Great-Hen (not mention the rest of the Giant Robo OVAs...).

Shin Mazinger was a massive flop, it sold about a thousand units (a thousand dvds per volume), I would be shocked if Imagawa is allowed to direct another anime consider how the average Japanese anime fan seems to hate him. The reason why Giant Robo took so long to get made was because it took that long for Imagawa to get funding since the Japanese didn't buy it.

Outside of Gurren Lagann super robot shows have flopped in both Japan and America, I don't know about other countries but I doubt the French are demanding more super robot shows.

Super Robot shows haven't been relevant since the 90's.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote
I know, I know, but a man has to dream to keep his soul alive, right? Wink I'm also still eagerly waiting for Sunrise to finally make Project Z....

On Japanese fans hating Imagawa, did you mean that in the sense that his projects regularly fail to bring in the revenue or is he genuinely disliked over there?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
I know, I know, but a man has to dream to keep his soul alive, right? Wink I'm also still eagerly waiting for Sunrise to finally make Project Z....

On Japanese fans hating Imagawa, did you mean that in the sense that his projects regularly fail to bring in the revenue or is he genuinely disliked over there?

His projects never seem to bring in the revenue (outside of G Gundam which was a hit)

From what I heard Imagawa's series have a tendency to sell poorly (the only ones I know for a fact was Giant Robo, and Shin Mazinger though). Mr. Ajikko was probably a hit considering that it lasted 99 episodes.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Machine Robo was Bandai, not Tomy.

keepin up my record of at least one dumb, obvious mistake per column 8-)

GATSU wrote:

What about G-Savior? :roll:

I thought G-Saviour was a lot of fun. Hokey, underfunded (I loved the main character's weird quasi-medieval flightsuit) but fun.

Quote:
Dunno about my favorite, but the ones I want to see here are Raideen, Xabungle, and Jeeg. And that Getter Robo OAV with the cowboy mecha.

How would you sell shows that old? Could it even be done?

As for Shin Getter vs. Neo Getter, I've always wondered why we got New Getter Robo (which is decent but not slam-bang crazy like Vs.) but not that. It's always seemed way more accessible to me, even with the World Trade Center making a queasy appearance in episode 1 (they'd finished it shortly before the attack, see...)

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
As for other things that were dearly missed, Zambot 3 I've been told is probably one of the best things Tomino ever did. Kind of subverting the super hero robot idea years before that was popular. It's rather interesting just to see how Tomino's development in anime progresses and regresses as time goes on.

Well, he subverts the genre simply by giving the hilariously unimaginable violence we see onscreen in most super robot cartoons actual weight and consequences. It's territory that needed to be explored.

PMDR wrote:
And yes, Leina was the hottie of 1986. There are a LOT of Leina Stol posters and CDs and artbooks and nicknacks and things. Don't ask me how I know. I know. The exchange rate was good back then.

I wasn't a fan in that era, but grabbing an issue of Animage or OUT from back them makes it pretty obvious who was the apple of otaku eyes. And yeah, I remember Anice Farm being a big deal a couple of years later.

Quote:
There was Battle Hackers too.

Have you seen it? Was it worth a damn? I tried to watch Machine Robo Rescue, but it's such a simple little kids' program that it bored me after an episode or two.

Quote:
Galvion is awesomely awesome. And the music was finally released on CD last year. One of the strangest anime soundtracks ever. Most of it sounds like those short clips used for music on hold -but it is SO cool!

Galvion is part of the long list of shows that I saw, unsubbed, on a 6-hour VHS tape, where about 5 or 6 episodes were included, taped off TV with the commercials clumsily cut out. The mecha designs made it all worth it for me. I'd love to check out that crazy ending for myself - it's something I only know by reputation.

wandering-dreamer wrote:
I would love to know how you accidentally license a show, go out drinking one night with the Japanese executives and wake up the next morning in a seedy hotel with the contract lying in bed next to you?

More like "we were negotiating for these two shows, decided we liked one, and faxed back the contracts before realizing it was a package deal." It's my understanding that the shows (Dancougar and Machine Robo) were both so low-cost that it didn't make sense to try to renegotiate, so they experimented with Machine Robo's release. Of course, nobody bought it. :(

That's the first time I've heard anything about 3-B being involved with a Dancougar dub, PMDR. Anyone know if Bunker Jenkins still walks the earth? I'd love to ask him about it.

fuuma_monou wrote:
Voltes V and Daimos both had movie-edit releases in the U.S., so maybe they're not obscure enough for this column?

No, I think that the Robot Romance Trilogy and Tadao Nagahama are worthy of their own column - I've got some pretty good background notes on the shows and great comments from Yuji Mitsuya about working with Nagahama, but I haven't seen all of them yet. I'll try to get to it in the next year. I am very curious about the trilogy's phenomnal popularity in the Philippenes - did they popularize anime in that country, I wonder?

Charred Knight wrote:

Shin Mazinger was a massive flop, it sold about a thousand units (a thousand dvds per volume), I would be shocked if Imagawa is allowed to direct another anime consider how the average Japanese anime fan seems to hate him.

See, this right here has got to be a failing of the anime business in Japan. Home video sales for a TELEVISION show shouldn't be a cash tentpole for the franchise, but gravy to lump in with merchandise and licensing sales. I'm amazed that the series hasn't been shown

Quote:
The reason why Giant Robo took so long to get made was because it took that long for Imagawa to get funding since the Japanese didn't buy it.

It's true that the show wasn't successful in Japan, but it kept to its release schedule of one episode every 6-8 months consistently until the huge gap between episode 6 (1995) and 7 (1998). When I asked him about this in 2003, Imagawa said that some considerable personal problems, including an illness and the death of his father, kept him off the project, but didn't say anything about funding problems. Where did you hear this?

Imagawa DID say that if only Giant Robo had been as popular in Japan as it was in the west, more would have been made. Missed opportunities...

Quote:

And yet they keep making them, year after year. Kotetsushin Jeeg. Daikumaryu. Super Robot Wars. Heroman. Gravion. Godannar. Go figure!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
treatment

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:

No, I think that the Robot Romance Trilogy and Tadao Nagahama are worthy of their own column - I've got some pretty good background notes on the shows and great comments from Yuji Mitsuya about working with Nagahama, but I haven't seen all of them yet. I'll try to get to it in the next year. I am very curious about the trilogy's phenomnal popularity in the Philippenes - did they popularize anime in that country, I wonder?

Not quite.

Mazinger Z was the one who popularized the super-robot cartoons back in the day over there before Voltes V mania took over everything a year or so later.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:

Charred Knight wrote:

Shin Mazinger was a massive flop, it sold about a thousand units (a thousand dvds per volume), I would be shocked if Imagawa is allowed to direct another anime consider how the average Japanese anime fan seems to hate him.

See, this right here has got to be a failing of the anime business in Japan. Home video sales for a TELEVISION show shouldn't be a cash tentpole for the franchise, but gravy to lump in with merchandise and licensing sales. I'm amazed that the series hasn't been shown

Quote:
The reason why Giant Robo took so long to get made was because it took that long for Imagawa to get funding since the Japanese didn't buy it.

It's true that the show wasn't successful in Japan, but it kept to its release schedule of one episode every 6-8 months consistently until the huge gap between episode 6 (1995) and 7 (1998). When I asked him about this in 2003, Imagawa said that some considerable personal problems, including an illness and the death of his father, kept him off the project, but didn't say anything about funding problems. Where did you hear this?

Imagawa DID say that if only Giant Robo had been as popular in Japan as it was in the west, more would have been made. Missed opportunities...

Quote:

And yet they keep making them, year after year. Kotetsushin Jeeg. Daikumaryu. Super Robot Wars. Heroman. Gravion. Godannar. Go figure!

With mecha you also have merchandise like models and figures, but I can't imagine that they would fly off the shelf for something like Shin Mazinger. The reliance on DVD/Bluray sales is one of the big problems anime has on both sides of the pacific ocean, I honestly can't imagine how most of the animation companies are still in business.

As for Giant Robo I remember hearing that the Ginrei OVAs where created to get funding, and that the stuff funded a part of it out of their own pockets, can't remember where I heard that though.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:

The Philippine English dub of Voltes V was incomplete until the nineties since it got caught up in Marcos's ban against anime and video games. Not quite sure why the licensing company Telesuccess took so long since Marcos was ousted in 1986 (and Daimos didn't seem to have the same problem). Since then there's been two different Tagalog dubs.

Daimos is still being shown on TV right now. The soap opera elements make it a perennial here, I guess.

Combattler V came out here last, in the nineties, skipping the local English-dubbed era. It had been released earlier people might remember it more fondly; as it is it's nowhere near as popular as Voltes V or Daimos.

I totally missed seeing Mazinger Z on local TV (though we did get Shin Mazinger last year). The original incarnation of Questor magazine did have comics of Mazinger Z and Voltes V (in roughly the same period as Marvel's Shogun Warriors).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3