• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-02-02]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musashi1600

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quote
The degree I can relate to they guy who wrote about running an anime club is uncanny. I signed on to such a club that formed at my school last year, and truth be told, it's been disappointing for me. I was hoping to be able to socialize and chat about various titles I've seen, but most of the people in the club are only famililar with high-profile titles like Bleach, Naruto and Death Note. The disconnect between what I've seen and what they've seen can be summed up into a moment where someone thought Serial Experiments Lain was a hentai.

Even then, I liked the people in the club because they were fun to be with, and I stayed on for the weekly screenings and socials the club held. Unfortunately, the club has been forced to reduce meetings and socials to just once or twice of month (for a number of reasons), and the club's focus is less on socials and more getting people to fundraise to pay to attend Kawaii Kon. At this point, I'm basically pulling out this month. There's nothing left for me now. Sad

Regarding the Miyazaki/Disney rant, I believe the main reason why Miyazaki is labeled the "Walt Disney of Japan" is because he's associated with the best animated films of Japan, just as Disney is associated with the best animated films of America (at least, before Pixar came into the picture. *winkwinknudgenudge*) Didn't know all that background info about Disney though; it's rare I learn new info like that from a rant. Props to the author. (b^^)b
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:41 am Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:

DJ Milky:
I guess Levy thinks that the ends somehow justify the means. If he feels that the only way to sell a product is to create a false persona because something about the product is lacking, what's a little deception between consumer and producer?

Ya ever heard his "work" in the Initial D Anime? I could sell Polka Music to a buncha ravers than what "DJ Milky" did to Initial D. Eurobeat FTW!!

Quote:
[
Something for everyone.

I see no ponies.
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:05 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
It always makes me wonder a little bit as to why anyone is shocked or even concerned that an entertainment company would continue making sequels or remakes of popular series that the public seems to enjoy. . . . I think a lot of this attitude also falls into the trap of thinking that every new iteration of a franchise somehow taints the original (or whichever version you liked best).

You see so easliy the logic of a company making a sequel or an adaptation, but wonder at the reasoning as to why a fan doesn't want one? I will try to explain. A fan can see a work not as just a movie or a series, but as a continuity. The characters are as people who the fan cares about. There is a "what really happened" that each work can only reveal. This is essentially suspension of disbelief writ large.

From that premise, a new work in the same continuity will tend to contradict the established information of "what happened." Especially if the new work is designed for commercial success, ambiguities and unpopular elements--which are often the very elements that generate the strong fandom--will have a strong tendency toward being blunted.

Quote:
If you really loved the original Evangelion and are convinced the new films will be terrible, here's a tip: don't watch them.

But what happens when, next year, the fan who does not watch the new movies goes on a forum or to a convention and offers some analysis on the true nature of Rei or some such, and is told, "Oh, well in the 2007 movie, it says yada yada, so that can't be so"? The fan wants to be secure that what he believes and knows about a continuity will remain true.

Quote:
Anime - like American film, like any other form of mass entertainment - is a business. Yes, there is art involved, and yes, there are plenty of shows out there that are real masterpieces, but ultimately the bottom line is that these series were created primarily to turn a profit. They may be works of staggering genius, but they weren't made to lose money. Evangelion is just as much a work of commercial art as it is a work of personal art.

Then where does one find personal art that is disdainful of profit? Particularly that which retains the production values of something like Eva. And furthermore is not overly laden with elements that are too typical of such art: difficulty of understanding and a generally negative portrayal of the world we live in (which very much does not apply to Eva)

If there is to be no such art, does it not follow that those of us who seek it should feel hard done by? For those who do not care about the work and offer no devotion are given that which satisfies them, but those who do are denied it.
Zakuroneko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
The degree I can relate to they guy who wrote about running an anime club is uncanny. I signed on to such a club that formed at my school last year, and truth be told, it's been disappointing for me. I was hoping to be able to socialize and chat about various titles I've seen, but most of the people in the club are only famililar with high-profile titles like Bleach, Naruto and Death Note. The disconnect between what I've seen and what they've seen can be summed up into a moment where someone thought Serial Experiments Lain was a hentai.

Sounds like my high school anime club right before we got disbanded by the school and our advisor was fired. We watched Inu Yasha episodes taped off Adult Swim because that was the only thing our unruly members would sit down and shut up for. That, and the Initial D dub. Our advisor (a closeted hardcore anime fanboy) and I conspired to show something new constantly, but it always failed. The members only wanted to watch what they had seen on Adult Swim the night before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
elsie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:55 am Reply with quote
I think the kitten may need to be separated from the hamster. I don't like the look in its eye.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
That flake was a big case of "WHAT IN HECK IS THIS?!" It made me laugh out loud.

And nice banner, Zac-sama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
forget rasengen. I am working on that whole gamma radiation thing to turn myself into a green Lou Ferigno
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
Anyone who's finding fault in Dark Horse's Berserk is really being nitpicky. I've got 11 volumes and I've found no "corny" dialogue. If I had to guess, I'd say this was an excuse to not get Dark Horse's release and stick with their scanlations.

And that flake...all I can do is shake my head and hope that was just a joke.
MsCongeniality

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
I loved this week's banner, what a great start to the rotation! Also, this week's rant was just fabulous. It's long past time those distinctions were pointed out. Nicely done.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Ya ever heard his "work" in the Initial D Anime? I could sell Polka Music to a buncha ravers than what "DJ Milky" did to Initial D. Eurobeat FTW!!

I heard it. Sounded like it was all made in AcidDJ by someone who has never studied music in their lives.

Maybe that's where the "milky" name comes from. Milky antacid.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
What a great week for the Answerman, starting first with the inviting yet very well done banner! I wish my photoshop skills were that good.....hell I wish I could make a circle.

I really hope that the flake this week is some kid who got really hopped up on cup of noodles, pocky, and those drinks with the marble in them......because I am afraid to retire if that's is our future.

As for the Rant/Report. I thought that it did a great job by giving information on both of these famous directors, and yet did manage to convince me that Miyazaki is not the next Disney. So for that I am glad Zac picked that to put in this weeks Answerman.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki is often referred to as the Disney of Japan for two reasons. #1 is because he is seen as producing the best animated works in Japan and Disney studios (by the person making the comparison) is seen as producing the best animated works in the US. #2 is because both are basically an industry unto themselves. At their height (Lion King being the zenith) Disney films would sell BECAUSE they were Disney films. Miyazaki films are the same way, they sell BECAUSE they are Miyazaki films. What's amusing about this is that Disney wasn't even alive for the highest "highs" of his anime empire.

All in all, I think it's more comparable to say Miyazaki's studio Ghibli is the Japanese Disney studios, but that's too complex and wordy, so often it's simply "Miyazaki is the Japanese Disney". I would like to also point out that Miyazaki/Ghibli already has their own (albeit small) "theme park" which is a considerably well attended tourist attraction.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I really hope that the flake this week is some kid who got really hopped up on cup of noodles, pocky, and those drinks with the marble in them......because I am afraid to retire if that is our future.

No worries. Aren't you, like, 21? By the time you retire you'll have had time to institute public policies keeping people like that under social quarrantine.

And if that doesn't happen... you'll only have yourself to blame. Twisted Evil
Aevin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
But what happens when, next year, the fan who does not watch the new movies goes on a forum or to a convention and offers some analysis on the true nature of Rei or some such, and is told, "Oh, well in the 2007 movie, it says yada yada, so that can't be so"? The fan wants to be secure that what he believes and knows about a continuity will remain true.

In my opinion, a real fan would see the movie to support the franchise and then complain about how it ruined the story (if that is that fan's opinion). For example, I'm a Star Trek fan, and I'll (pay to) see anything new that the franchise produces, no matter how it mucks up the story/timeline (although a repeat viewing would be questionable). I simply appreciate that people still care about it, and I'm willing to support their efforts because I still care about it, too.
Steroid wrote:
Then where does one find personal art that is disdainful of profit?

You very rarely do, mostly because it costs a fair amount of money to support oneself in the environment which best fosters one's creativity and imagination. You will see inexpensive art - paintings, books, items which one can create with minimal cost - for sale, but what you're not going to see is inexpensive art which costs a lot to produce (e.g. anime, motion pictures, etc.). So to answer your question again, you'll only find that sort of art where the production costs are low; we need enough money to survive each day, after all. Strictly moral support doesn't cut it.
Steroid wrote:

If there is to be no such art, does it not follow that those of us who seek it should feel hard done by?

"Those of us who seek the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow should feel mistreated when we find it doesn't exist." Come on... If you start on a fool's errand, your only hope is to wake up, realize your quest was for the fictional, and make something of your life.
Steroid wrote:

For those who do not care about the work and offer no devotion are given that which satisfies them, but those who do are denied it.

Are you referring to artists who are doing their work just for the money? Or fans that only buy what they like? Something else? Whichever way, there are plenty of examples to contradict that bitter statement.

Huh...my post reminds me of Mushishi: An artist not in the proper environment, seeking the end of a rainbow...
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Two obvious things no one has pointed out yet:

A major reason for Disney/Miyazaki comparisons is simply that they both make "fun, accessible, family-friendly" films. That's in quotes because it's a popular opinion. We all know that some of Hayao-san's work is not suitable for kids.

How could that FotW email be serious? He says "chi", but in Naruto they refer to it as "chakra". It seems unlikely that such a Naruto fanatic would make a mistake like that when (at least in the dub) the word "chi" has never been used (and in DBZ it was "ki", keep in mind, not "chi").
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6