• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Licenses Tide-Line Blue and My-Otome

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
The volume 7 artbox is designed to replace the piece of "cardboard" that came with volume 1. Anime on DVD has a picture of the new artbox on their review template for volume 7. From the looks of it, it more than makes up for it.

I hate when Bandai does this. But the new box does looks awesome. Much better than the current one. I'll be sure to get it, as well as the My-Otome DVD, which I hope comes with a nice box (and the only one).
Son Biggie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
very nice box.... yeah hate it that Bandai had to do that but still nice box and I will get it
Stullz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Maybe bandai is turning a new leaf after having a bunch of us complain about the quality of some of their recent boxes?

Now if only they'd learn how to print things correctly.. (Gundam Destiny box has a rather annoying flaw with its ART, one of the volumes art does not match its holders spot) Lets hope they do better in the future
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess this is the "other shoe" we'd all been wating for since AX. No word on the Mai-Otome Zwei OVAs, though. Let's hope that Bandai improves things on the release this time around, starting with that artbox of course. I wouldn't mind seeing the same dub cast, either--sure, HiME's dub was hit and miss, but the good performances and new talent were redeeming enough that I wouldn't want Bandai/Ocean to scrap everything and recast it.

As for My-Otome itself, I'm not surprised they used the "My" spelling again for consistency. It starts off a bit slow and cheesy, but by the end, I found it to be just as good as or better than HiME, especially episode 16 and beyond. Coincidence? And for all the fans who were or will be disappointed by HiME's ending, Otome does things differently, spoiler[i.e. no "reset" or mass resurrections.]
Deltakiral wrote:
But after looking at the summary for Tide-Line Blue, I am slightly intrigued, by this title. Any advance reviews, what is this show really like?
Here's one review I found, though there are other more positive ones out there:
Some site, whose permissibility to link to on ANN is in dispute, wrote:
Having watched all of Tide-Line now, I can definitely say this anime did not deliver what it promised. While still mildly entertaining, it was overall a disappointment from what led off in the first couple episodes promising an involving conflict in both military and moral terms. From there the show seems to have washed up on the beach and lay there, flopping back and forth between high drama and nuclear brinksmanship.. to the slapstick gambling antics of Keel and stupid ostrich tricks.
As previously noted in other reviews there is basically no backstory for most characters beyond a few fleeting flashbacks, and no explanation of several seemingly major plot points - I say seemingly because they are cast out at the feet of the viewer and promptly discarded like yesterday`s unsold catch.

Upon watching the first couple episodes, I thought this could be a grand sci-fi epic on the scale of The Secret of Blue Water (Nadia), but after 12 short episodes, the pool is being drained and everyone told to go home.

Tide-Line Blue had potential, but apparently poor direction and an abbreviated half-season run have squandered it.
Still, it could be interesting...I know one person who saw it, and his opinion was generally good. I might find it worth checking out when the inevitable AL set is released.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
That volume 7 box is definitely one of the nice ones I've seen, at least based on the picture. I never got in to the show though, always had other series with priority that I was collecting at the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Of course you knew it was coming eventually, now that 'My-HiME's release is finished. So it's time to get the next series up and running for release. Actually this is a quick announcement. I had expected something along the lines of spring or summer and seeing it in the fall. Looks like companies are working fast.

Looks like 2007 is turning out to be a good year for new releases. Wink

indeed. i'm pretty excited about seeing this alternate world "sequel." i saw a little bit in Japanese, but not enough to see the real plot just yet. i read the whole of the manga and the end-half of it was very good! i'm hoping for similar enjoyment from the anime (even though i know it'll be different). Very Happy
forever_young

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I am definitely looking towards seeing Tide-Line Blue.
I like shows that are less magical and more realistic.
Granted, TLB takes place in the not too distant future where the world is covered by water and 90% of the pop lost their lives, but it's still plausible. Some anime shows are just too fantastical, even for the genre.

Good job Bandai
S0litaire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
While I thought Hime was better than Otome in many aspects, I still enjoyed the alternate universe series as much as the first. I plan to buy Otome upon release as long as it's not too soon after Hime is finished. I have too many things I'm collecting at the moment.

I'm also liking the new premium box a lot better. I hope the new box is as sturdy as it looks. I wish Akira and Fumi were on it though..
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Yay, Mai Otome got licensed^^ I acutally prefered the series to Mai Hime because the idea of the robes are cool and I prefer fantasy/sci-fi genre. That looks like a beautiful box set but alas, I only buy anime DVDs at AE and thats not till August. I'll probably buy the box sets when they come out, I'm cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I loved Mai-otome but I think I will probably wait for it to finish before getting any of the dvds. It was very similar to My-Hime where it starts off a tad on the slow side and was pretty light in the beginning but gets really dark as the series progresses.

Kinda pissed about the new My-Hime box. Hoping I can snag it for around $25 during DeepDiscountDvd's next sale.
Panon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
As for My-Otome itself, I'm not surprised they used the "My" spelling again for consistency.

It shouldn't be surprising given that it's the name the Japanese call it in English, as can easily be seen if you've ever purchased any of the soundtracks artbooks and similar merchandise.

Of course, the fact it's the correct name won't stop people from persisting in using the incorrect name from the fansubs. Maybe whoever reviews Otome for ANN when it comes out might do a little research prior to their review this time and not embarrass themselves like the Hime dvd 1 reviewer did.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
As for My-Otome itself, I'm not surprised they used the "My" spelling again for consistency.

It shouldn't be surprising given that it's the name the Japanese call it in English, as can easily be seen if you've ever purchased any of the soundtracks artbooks and similar merchandise.

I believe that Zalis116 is referring to naming consistency in the English market. The "My" in the title was not the original Japanese name. After reading your post, I went and re-read the review for the first volume.

In his review of My-HiME volume 1, Key wrote:
The series' original name, “Mai-HiME,” was very carefully chosen because it's a play on words in both English and Japanese. Taken literally, it's the name of the central character with the honorific given to her for being a HiME, but if the anagram aspect is ignored then it also translates as “Dancing Princess,” an apt name given some of the moves Mai makes when using her power.

In other words, the "Mai" in the Japanese title is reflective of its focus on Mai. If it were "My" as you claim, it would invalidate all the available alternative interpretations of the title.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:

Of course, the fact it's the correct name won't stop people from persisting in using the incorrect name from the fansubs. Maybe whoever reviews Otome for ANN when it comes out might do a little research prior to their review this time and not embarrass themselves like the Hime dvd 1 reviewer did.

Both "My" and "Mai" work for the title, Bandai simply chose "My" as the official spelling. The original title was in kanji and I believe "Mai" would actually be the correct romanization of it, in which case Bandai's version, while phonetically correct and doable, would be technically wrong. Then there is the whole Dancing pun that Key described and NGE1113 quoted.
zalas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:38 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Both "My" and "Mai" work for the title, Bandai simply chose "My" as the official spelling. The original title was in kanji and I believe "Mai" would actually be the correct romanization of it, in which case Bandai's version, while phonetically correct and doable, would be technically wrong. Then there is the whole Dancing pun that Key described and NGE1113 quoted.

The original promotional video for My-HiME used "My-HiME" in a logo of the title. It's pretty obvious it was the intent of the original staff for it to be a pun in many different ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2