• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The relationship between Naruto and Sasuke

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
He may be becoming a vigilante in terms of a legal system, but thete's almost no way that most [this is a digisubbing group name] could even do the job.

Geez, that's slightly ridiculous. Assuming you tried to say A-N-B-U - yeah, it's a subbing group but it's also the name of the special ops... makes the discussion of the subject slightly amusing but mainly annoying.
C r i m s o n

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Well his goals are far more honorable than Orochimaru's anyways, and that's all that really matters here. Orochimaru just wants power and to destroy an entire village just because he's upset they didn't make him Hokage, which is more of a HUGE temper tantrum than anything. Sasuke at least wants that same kind of power to kill an evil person that committed a very despicable act, so there's more honor in that, even if it is just for personal gain.

Even so, threatening those who wish to help him and truly cares for him does not fall in the same category as being honorable. Moreover, we can't entirely say for sure that the reason why Orochimaru seeks power is due to the inferiority of not becoming Hokage. Yes, Sasuke "atleast" wants power to kill an evil person who has committed a treasonable act, but seeking power from a person who is known for his forbidden nature and explicit behavior is simply not worth honoring for. I still come to wonder though; even if Sasuke was to carry out the death of his own sibling, what is there to gain other than hurting those around you and to come. The answer is the spoiler[truth], but sometimes the truth can hurt those who seek it.

Crimson
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Legal systems haven't been discussed that much in Naruto, but I understand that villages deal with their renegades themselves using ANBUs. Therefore, the "right" thing to do is send some ANBUs after Itachi and let them kill him - in practice it's of course not gonna happen.

That's the problem, law enforcement in Naruito is pretty pathetic. Orochimaru, the Akatsuki, Zabusa, they're all highly wanted, Bin Laden-class criminals in their verse, and they've been running loose for decades. Even if some Anbu do catch up to him, they'd likely just get killed. If you want to take out a guy like Itachi, it's much more effective to specially train someone uniquely suited for taking him down. If you want a job done right, do it yourself.

Quote:

Even so, threatening those who wish to help him and truly cares for him does not fall in the same category as being honorable.

Sure it does, if his motives are solid enough. For example, if he's trying to push them away so he can do what he needs to do without killifying them.

Quote:
Moreover, we can't entirely say for sure that the reason why Orochimaru seeks power is due to the inferiority of not becoming Hokage.

no, the reason he wants to annihilate Konohoa is because they dissed him on the Hokage tip. The reason he wants power is becaue he's a megalomaniacal sociopath.
C r i m s o n

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Sure it does, if his motives are solid enough. For example, if he's trying to push them away so he can do what he needs to do without killifying them.

Yeah yeah, and Tsunade is my grandmother.

Ohoni wrote:
no, the reason he wants to annihilate Konohoa is because they dissed him on the Hokage tip. The reason he wants power is becaue he's a megalomaniacal sociopath.

Hokage tip? Care to briefly explain what a Hokage tip is? If not, then there is no need to post on your behalf and mine since this little chat of ours officially ended when I gave reason, and calling a fictional character "megalomaniacal sociopath" is entirely irrelevant to the comment itself. You have to provide more substance to your posts if you intend to be taken seriously or atleast straight-foward; otherwise I see your post as one of the endless spam out there, and slang doesn't cut it for me.

-Crimson
Isikari

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
Sasuke is best friends with Naruto, and no matter what happens in the anime, this will always stay true. This is for one reason alone, that the theme of fighting for those you love makes you stronger is repeated throughout the show. This is a central tenet to Naruto, first witnessed in the fight against Zabuza, then in the Chuunin exam, against Orochimaru, etc.

The reason they are and will stay best friends due to this theme is because: Naruto is highly predictable (Anime, not character, although kind of both). The writers want to reinforce their original perspective and do so at every turn. Therefore, even if Naruto Sasuke go all out versus each other again (I haven't read Manga, they might), in the end no one will die, because their buddy-buddy.

~ Isikari
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Yeah yeah, and Tsunade is my grandmother.

Interesting, but not really germaine to the discussion at hand.

Quote:

Hokage tip? Care to briefly explain what a Hokage tip is? If not, then there is no need to post on your behalf and mine since this little chat of ours officially ended when I gave reason, and calling a fictional character "megalomaniacal sociopath" is entirely irrelevant to the comment itself.

He's certainly fictional, but as a literary character his motivations define him.

Quote:
You have to provide more substance to your posts if you intend to be taken seriously or atleast straight-foward; otherwise I see your post as one of the endless spam out there, and slang doesn't cut it for me.

Of the two of us, I've put forth signficantly more substance to this discussion, and in a significantly more mature manner. I'm not sure where your hostility or attitude come from, but they are not helpful to your case.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Naruto and Sakura should forget about Sasuke and move on with their lives. Life is too short to be chasing after someone years on end for someone who do not want to be help. To be honest would you actually go though all this trouble for just a friend who almost tried to kill you,I simply wouldnt. Also,Naruto ego plays a factor in this because he shows Neji and Gaara the light and he thinks he can do the same for Sasuke.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Naruto and Sakura should forget about Sasuke and move on with their lives. Life is too short to be chasing after someone years on end for someone who do not want to be help. To be honest would you actually go though all this trouble for just a friend who almost tried to kill you,I simply wouldnt. Also,Naruto ego plays a factor in this because he shows Neji and Gaara the light and he thinks he can do the same for Sasuke.

No, I highly doubt it has anything to do with ego. Fact of the matter is that Naruto is just an all around good person. In Neji and Gara's case, he was faced with two people trying to tell him to give up and just accept the fact that he's a failure, and simply wanted to fight against that and prove them wrong. And in the process of doing so, he changed their lives. In Sasuke's case, he just doesn't want to see his best friend be lost to darkness, or to see anything bad happen to him.

I think it comes to show us that he is that kind of person to have enough humility and care for his friend to forgive him and to save him from being lost to that darkness. Because that's all he cares about. Not the fact that his friend betrayed him, but that he just doesn't want anything bad to happen to him. Same thing goes for Sakura. Over here in the Mormon church, we call that having a "Christ-like" attitude. And I don't know about you, but those are the kind of friends I'd like to have.

I'd also like to note that I never said at all that what Sasuke was doing was honorable. Nor did I say that it was dishonorable. I simply said that Sasuke is WAY more honorable than Orochimaru, so we don't have to worry about Sasuke being as hoples as Orochimaru.

Sasuke isn't an evil or bad person, he's not a person who is heartless or selfish, he's just very confused right now. He needs to get his priorities straight. It's not that he has no care or no place for his friends in his heart, it's just that he thinks his revenge goal is more important. More important than his friends, more important than his life, more important than anything.

Don't forget, this wasn't and easy decision for him to make. He agonized over it, like I'm sure most of us do in the same kind of situation. He just made the wrong choice in the end is all. But where he is lost in darkness is that he is to proud to admit that it was the wrong choice. That's what Naruto is doing for him. He's trying to save him from that wrong choice he's made. You know, doing what a good friend should do in this situation. And Sakura is worried about him like a good (I guess it's safe to say, even though it's not official) girlfriend should do in this situation.

Quote:

Naruto is highly predictable (Anime, not character, although kind of both).

I think you're kind of missing the point here. I think rather than being about what's going to happen, it's actually supposed to be more about what needs to be done and how it's all going to happen, which I think makes for a more dramatic series.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
How many people will Sasuke have to kill to obtain that goal of revenge? What if Orochimaru go tell him to kill so he can obtain that power? Sasuke is Orochimaru lab dog and he would do whatever its takes to obtain the power to kill Itachi. And if he kills Itachi it unlikely he will return to the leaf village. Naruto just need to wake up and forget the fact that Sasuke is never coming back. With friends like that who needs foes? Naruto is a honorable person with a honorable goal but Sasuke is lost and I thinks he lost forever.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
How many people will Sasuke have to kill to obtain that goal of revenge? What if Orochimaru go tell him to kill so he can obtain that power? Sasuke is Orochimaru lab dog and he would do whatever its takes to obtain the power to kill Itachi. And if he kills Itachi it unlikely he will return to the leaf village. Naruto just need to wake up and forget the fact that Sasuke is never coming back. With friends like that who needs foes? Naruto is a honorable person with a honorable goal but Sasuke is lost and I thinks he lost forever.

All the more reason for Naruto to try and save him. Even if Sasuke is lost forever, he still needs to try. You forget that that's the way Naruto is. And for good reason to.

As I've said time and time again, almost like a broken record for heaven's sake, I don't think that Sasuke doesn't care. I just think he has some priority issues, like putting his revenge ahead of everything else: his own life, his friends, everything. Thing is, and I think that is what Kishimoto is trying to say in the first place, no matter how horrible or how evil you become, there's always a second chance if you are willing to take it to redeem yourself. Gara did it, Neji did it, Zabuza did it, and by heavens, Sasuke can do it to.

In closing, I'll go ahead and leave you with the quote that Kolibri mentioned in the inspirational quotes thread. It's the same quote that Naruto said when Jiraiya told him it would be wise to give up on Sasuke:

"If that's what it means to be wise, then I would rather be a fool."

Last edited by BrothersElric on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:

Sasuke is not his lap dog. Sure he'll probably kill almost anybody too gain this power, but we don't know that. Orochimaru does everything discretely, so even if they were to kill people, they would have already been captured, tested to see if they're any use to him (he likes his minions), also test too see if they have any special powers, then slaughtered for no reason, possibly by Sasuke (and I don't know Sasuke's view of children, he might not kill them, unless he saw Star Wars Episode II and was like, "Dude, I could totally do that."). However Sasuke wouldn't just fly out on a whim and destroy a village or a group of people for this. And I believe that after he has killed Itachi, he would end up like Cloud from FFVII A.C. and mope around with no motive to fight anymore and become a crybaby p*ssy delivery boy. (Unless he truely takes up the rival-ship (is that a word?) with Naruto and live for that.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
For example,this is like trying to save a friend who got a bad drinking problem. You try as hard as possible to stop the person from drinking but they keep doing its anyway. Until,they die from bad kidneys,that its bascially a friend who is willing to throw away everything that the kind of person Sasuke is. No matter what you say or do there is nothing you can do to stop that person from doing its. So,why even bother to waste your life and breath for a person who is not even worth its
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
For example,this is like trying to save a friend who got a bad drinking problem. You try as hard as possible to stop the person from drinking but they keep doing its anyway. Until,they die from bad kidneys,that its bascially a friend who is willing to throw away everything that the kind of person Sasuke is. No matter what you say or do there is nothing you can do to stop that person from doing its. So,why even bother to waste your life and breath for a person who is not even worth its

I know and understand very well what you're trying to say. What I'm trying to say is basically, how do you know that he isn't worth saving? In fact, in all likelyhood, he is worth saving. Everyone in this life is worth saving, especially if that someone is your best friend.

And as far as Sasuke not being his friend in your opinion, you still have forgotten what I've said in other posts. And I refuse to repeat myself again. Go rewatch the valley of the end arc, and keep the things I've said in my posts in mind. Until then, I'm not going to argue with you any further.

Also, here's some AMVs about their relationship for you to watch while you're at it:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?vid_id=81236

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?vid_id=107745

Once again, if ANN has policies against this sort of thing, I deeply appologize.
mathious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Sasuke and Naruto act like their rivals, but they know that when their training it pushes them past their limits. Remember the episode the forest of chakra. Sasuke and Naruto kept on going even when kakashi sensei and sakura left they kept on training. In the battle of the bridge when zabuza returns sasuke risked his life for naruto. On the outside they act like they hate each other, but on the inside they both know they make each other stronger.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
One more thing before I go. spoiler[I just read the latest chapter of the manga, and all I have to say is, it really answers a WHOLE FREAKING LOT of the questions brought up here.]

Last edited by BrothersElric on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6