• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The relationship between Naruto and Sasuke

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
One more thing before I go. I just read the latest chapter of the manga, and all I have to say is, it really answers a WHOLE FREAKING LOT of the questions brought up here.

I really wish you hadn't said that Sad

Just when I was getting comfortable with my decision not to read the manga, and you really couldn't give me a worse tease than that... Ignorance is a bliss! Rolling Eyes If you're going to start discussing it I'll have to bow out of this otherwise very fascinating conversation.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
BrothersElric wrote:
One more thing before I go. I just read the latest chapter of the manga, and all I have to say is, it really answers a WHOLE FREAKING LOT of the questions brought up here.

I really wish you hadn't said that Sad

Just when I was getting comfortable with my decision not to read the manga, and you really couldn't give me a worse tease than that... Ignorance is a bliss! Rolling Eyes If you're going to start discussing it I'll have to bow out of this otherwise very fascinating conversation.

CRAP!!!!!!! Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad I am so very sorry! I forgot to use spoiler tags! I just edited my post and put them back in, but I don't know what good it will do now.

I think I'm going to go hang myself now.(not seriously though. Laughing )
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
He may be becoming a vigilante in terms of a legal system, but thete's almost no way that most [this is a digisubbing group name] could even do the job.

Geez, that's slightly ridiculous. Assuming you tried to say A-N-B-U - yeah, it's a subbing group but it's also the name of the special ops... makes the discussion of the subject slightly amusing but mainly annoying.
No kidding, these filters can be kind of rediculous. If you guys feel the need to do some slight evasion in order to use legitimate words like "ANBU," I at least won't punish you. After all, I wonder what would happen if every group name got filtered. I'd think about it, but I'll be too busy watching some of [this is a digisub group name] Legend Tsukihime, or maybe what's known in Japanese as [this is a digisub group name] Tsukai ni Taisetsu na mono.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How many people will Sasuke have to kill to obtain that goal of revenge?

How many HAS he killed in pursuit of that goal? Oh, that's right, NONE. How many will he need to kill? One. Maybe two if he has to kill shark-boy.

[No manga spoilers in the anime threads anymore, even if they're marked reasonably. -selenta]
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
I am so very sorry! I forgot to use spoiler tags! I just edited my post and put them back in, but I don't know what good it will do now.

No need to kill yourself just yet, it's not like it was an actual spoiler (more like a teaser) - still, I would prefer if even those would be spoiler-tagged, at least then I have a choice.

[No manga spoilers in the anime threads anymore, even if they're marked reasonably. -selenta] If something like that happens again I swear I'll stop reading all Naruto threads.

Zalis116 wrote:
No kidding, these filters can be kind of ridiculous.

I almost fell off the chair laughing at this post (the original). Made me feel better Wink
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
[No manga spoilers in the anime threads anymore, even if they're marked reasonably. -selenta]

I'm such a spoiler fanatic that I usually end up running to tell everyone what happens in the manga chapters before I explode with excitement (not necessarily happy excitement). As it just so happens, all my friends hate spoilers. Every chapter really keeps me on edge. Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:20 am Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
No kidding, these filters can be kind of ridiculous.

I almost fell off the chair laughing at this post (the original). Made me feel better Wink
The real funny thing is, I had several more paragraphs of the same kind of thing typed out, but decided it would be bad form for me as a mod to do something that was the equivalent of posting a bunch of fansub group names. Plus, I really started grasping at OT straws, like warning about potential [this is a digisub group name] electricity buildup while fueling your car. So, I must take leave to watch episode 21 of Kanon 2006 to find out what's going on with [this is a digisub group name] Tsukimiya, so good night and [this is a digisub group name] nasai, everyone Evil or Very Mad
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
BrothersElric wrote:
I am so very sorry! I forgot to use spoiler tags! I just edited my post and put them back in, but I don't know what good it will do now.

No need to kill yourself just yet, it's not like it was an actual spoiler (more like a teaser) - still, I would prefer if even those would be spoiler-tagged, at least then I have a choice.

I was majorly spoiled on another board... And this is a major spoiler for the manga so if you don't want to suffer my fate don't even think about it! spoiler[Someone, just in passing, wrote "...Asuma (rest in peace, man)..." and I was ready to dig their eyes out with a spoon and hang them on their tongue.] If something like that happens again I swear I'll stop reading all Naruto threads.

Yeah, I know. I still feel pretty bad about it though. Normally, I usually do a pretty darn good job of keeping spoilers on the DL, and if there is anything I absolutely HATE, it's spoilers, even if I'm not the one being spoiled. I just forgot to put spoiler tags on is all. I was going to, but I forgot. Once again, I'm sorry for that. Embarassed

But it is like you said, though. at least I didn't tell you specifically what happened. All I said was spoiler[that it answered a lot of the questions brought up here, that's all.] But I really do still feel bad about it.

Quote:

How many HAS he killed in pursuit of that goal? Oh, that's right, NONE. How many will he need to kill? One. Maybe two if he has to kill shark-boy.

spoiler[If he had read the manga he would know that, but he obviously hasn't, so obviously he doesn't. But adding on to your list, he'll have to kill three if you include Orochimaru.]
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I understand what you are trying to say Brothers Elric. And Naruto might save him in the end,but what if this was in real life would you actually tried to save a friend who almost kill you. I just could not get pass that fact and the purest of human beings probably would not get pass that fact.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
I understand what you are trying to say Brothers Elric. And Naruto might save him in the end,but what if this was in real life would you actually tried to save a friend who almost kill you. I just could not get pass that fact and the purest of human beings probably would not get pass that fact.

Well in that case it depends on what you would personally do. In my case, I think I'd definitely would do the same thing that Naruto is doing. If it were for the good of my friend, I would do it. I wouldn't care if he tried to kill me, and almost succeeded.

It's all about your care and concern for your friend. He may have tried to kill you, but he's your friend for heavens sake! You would be just as despicable as him if you were to just give up on him and ignore him when he needs you the most. And in all reality, I think that is truly what Kishimoto is trying to say here.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
This thread really hits home for me because my grandmother once said never lets a friend leads you down the wrong path. She once said if its interfere with your goals and plans its best to leave that friend behind. Naruto wants to be hokage that his goal and chasing after Sasuke interfere with that goal. For example Sasuke did not give a shit about Naruto until he fullfill his goal. Now let reverse that,why should Naruto care about Sasuke untill he fullfill his goal of becoming hokage?
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
This is something that hasn't been enforced very strictly in the past before and even something that I've done myself in the past, but spoilers that have not been covered at all in the anime do not belong in the anime threads. Several series have had many major plot spoilers ruined for me because people are unable to responsibly use spoiler tags. Although manga/novel spoilers were more or less ignored, they have never really belonged in the anime forums.

If you wish to discuss any manga spoilers, and how excited you are to see something animated in the future, please keep that discuss in the manga forum. Manga spoilers only seem to potentially belong in the anime forums if they are directly related to how something from the manga has been animated, or whether or not there were changes. The exact circumstances are far from set in stone, but just because you're excited, doesn't mean that me or anyone else should have the show ruined for them if they don't want it to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I know sooner or later there will be people complaining about how unfair this rule and how it violates their e-rights, so I'll say a word or two right now about this new rule.

Manga/novel/game/whatever spoilers are problematic everywhere there is discussion of ongoing series based on source material, and it's incredibly frustrating to those who want to discuss an ongoing series when some guy pops out and starts spilling out what happens later, thus ruining it for all non-source material readers. Even spoiler tagging is problematic, because (1) spoilers are very tempting to read, and (2) unless given a clear warning in underlined bold red size 20 font they are hard to distinguish from "normal" spoilers. Also simple deletion of posts for manga spoilerage is VERY generous; I've encountered forums that handed out instant permanent bans to those who spoiled remotely anything beyond what was broadcasted. I kid you not, the admin would literally ban you on the spot and never let you come back.

I'm not pinning this on anyone here, in fact most of what I wrote above doesn't even apply to me, but I have seen some very angry people who have been spoiled, and let's just say that they probably wanted to strangle whoever just spoiled them.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

But they aren't normal. They're ninja. They live in a world of life and death, and major battles. To put it into more familliar terms, what if you and your best friend grew up to be mercenaries, and ended up on opposite sides of a conflict, and in a descisive battle, one which you both were duty-bound to complete, he roughed you up but left you alive and safe while he went on to complete his objective, when he easilly could have killed you without any additional risk.? If that were the situation with me and one of my friends it might certainly strain the relationship a bit, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Quote:
This thread really hits home for me because my grandmother once said never lets a friend leads you down the wrong path. She once said if its interfere with your goals and plans its best to leave that friend behind. Naruto wants to be hokage that his goal and chasing after Sasuke interfere with that goal. For example Sasuke did not give a shit about Naruto until he fullfill his goal. Now let reverse that,why should Naruto care about Sasuke untill he fullfill his goal of becoming hokage?

Saving Sasuke in no way interferes with Naruto's goals. In fact, they support his goals for two important reasons, one, they act as an excelent motivating factor for Naruto to improve his skills, much as Itachi is an excelent motivator for Sasuke, and two, as Naruto says, "how can I be Hokage when I can't even save my friend?" Being Hokage is about doing what's best for the village and it's ninja, and saving Sasuke is all about that. It's not like Naruto has been forced to in any way compromise who he is in order to rescue Sasuke.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
That was Sasuke decison to leave the Hidden Leaf Village and go after revenge,which is why I just do not see why Naruto should chase after him. No one can covince Sasuke to come back to the Hidden Leaf Village now because Sasuke has tasted power and his persona suggest that he will never give it up
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6