• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayao Miazaki's son

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I just saw a preview for "Les Comtes de Terrmer" by Goro Miyazaki--Hayao's son.

Does anybody know what this is about? (The preview was clips only--looks beautiful, but it didn't give much plot.)
Also, what is it in English? I saw it on a French site, so...

[EDIT: Fixed your spelling of Hayo to Hayao, his actual name. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
Hey, I just saw a preview for "Les Comtes de Terrmer" by Goro Miyazaki--Hayo's son.

Does anybody know what this is about? (The preview was clips only--looks beautiful, but it didn't give much plot.)
Also, what is it in English? I saw it on a French site, so...

Since Les Contes de Terremer is Tales from Earthsea, what you watched is probably a preview for Gedo Senki, which will be released in France in April.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
thanks Tony Embarassed

tenkado - thanks. Have you seen it or know if it is any good? The artwork looked heavily influenced by Miyazaki Sr. (duh!), is the story line and structure the same way?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
thanks Tony Embarassed

tenkado - thanks. Have you seen it or know if it is any good? The artwork looked heavily influenced by Miyazaki Sr. (duh!), is the story line and structure the same way?

I am hoping to see this soon. This was Goro Miyazaki's debut, and was recieved well at the box office. However, the down end was it was panned by critics, and recieved Japan's equivalent to the Razzies for worst movie and worst director (if I'm correct).
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:

is the story line and structure the same way?

Apparently it is a rather simplistic movie, which people did not really feel was anything particularly special.

On the other hand, it probably has less tendency to wander, because Miyazaki Senior's method of working is to keep writing the story even as the movie is being made. Haven't seen it myself though, so can't give any personal opinions.
Amasa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
I'm also desperate to see this. Critics have really dismissed the film, but on message boards I've read some people saying that they really liked it. If you've read the original novel by Ursula Le Guin (correct?) it will definately influence your judgement of the film since I've heard it is quite a bad adaptation - the author pretty much slammed the movie as well Crying or Very sad .

It's discussed a lot here .
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:

It's my pleasure.

Though Ghibli is a famous animation studio and Miyazaki Gorô is a son of a celebrated animation director, the Gedo Senki anime has a poor reputation.
On 2ch still there are threads where people criticise Gedo Senki and Miyazaki Gorô.
Kumeta Kôji satirised Miyazaki Gorô and Gedo Senki in his manga.
As fighterholic has mentioned, Gedo Senki won first place in Bunshun Kiichigo Shô, which are Japanese film awards similar to the Golden Raspberry Awards. (Bunshun is the abbreviation of Bungeishunjû, a well-known Japanese publishing company, kiichigo means a raspberry, and shô means a prize.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1