• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Dub Madoka Magica Into English

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
YYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Best Anime-related news I've heard in a long while.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica does not have the mainstream appeal of Blue Exorcist, but in terms of quality it is uber-godly. It's fantastic to see such an amazing show get not only licensed but a dub as well. And if I hate the dub then I can always watch the subtitles.

I cannot WAIT to see this on the shelves at my local JB Hi-Fi, although I'll probably have to wait a while. Hmm, Blu-Ray discs are sometimes region-free, right? If possible (as if, it is indeed released on Blu-Ray and the discs are region-free), I could just import. I wouldn't mind buying over the Internet if it was for such a premium title.

Oh yes, most excellent news indeed.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Saffire wrote:
I wonder if they're dubbing it so that it can air on Adult Swim like they did with Durarara. Either way, great news.

That would be a shocker considering we haven't had a magical girl series on TV for a long time.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that 12:30 will become the "Aniplex" slot, and right after they get done with Durarara!! it will take over in early 2012!

OMG EPIC NEWS OVERLOAD!!!
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
FFFFUHhhhhh!! You have no idea how happy I am right now. x3 Now we need a dub for Blue Excorsist! C'mon Aniplex USA!
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
It's a start.

Now then, let's talk pricing and eligibility for Right Stuf 40% sales.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
So they're gonna release Blue Exorcist sub only and then turn around and go all out on a dub for Madoka!? At absolute best, a dub for Madoka has got to be a big gamble. You can talk about what an amazing show it is and how it's so much more than it seems. At face value though, it's still a show about a bunch of little moe looking girls in pink frilly outfits. (Sure guys, it's totally going to air on Adult Swim. Rolling Eyes) This is about as much of a show for otaku as you can get. It may be a popular show among otaku, there's no disputing that, but it seems like a pretty safe bet to me that it would retain that popularity sub only. So how many sales are they actually going to gain by adding a dub? It'll please the relatively small group of people who are both otaku and dub purists but I gotta think that will be about it. And again, it would be one thing to just dub Madoka. I mean, maybe I'm wrong about Madoka, but to dub it while at the same time they don't dub a show like Blue Exorcist which just screams: "I have mainstream/TV appeal!"...I don't know. It just makes me think that Aniplex simply doesn't know what the hell they're doing.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's not too surprising for Madoka to get a dub. I'm curious to see this, since it seems it has fans that love it to the point of worshipping it.

I've yet to make the move to Blu Ray, so there better be a DVD edition for Welcome to the Space Show.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
F**K YEAH SPACE SHOW ON BLU-RAY!!! Pre-ordering the hell outta this!

Oh yeah, Madoka... that's cool, getting a dub and all.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
My main question is when will Madoka be released? Smile
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

(Sure guys, it's totally going to air on Adult Swim. Rolling Eyes)

uh huh. It's just what the Adult Swim frat-boy crossover audience has been waiting for. They are sure to jump right up and order the $200 box set, along with the associated character humpy-pillow merch. Anime dazed

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-07-03/madoka-magica-homura-gets-hugging-pillow-cover
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
This is about as much of a show for otaku as you can get. It may be a popular show among otaku, there's no disputing that, but it seems like a pretty safe bet to me that it would retain that popularity sub only. So how many sales are they actually going to gain by adding a dub?

No, it isn't a show for Otaku, it is a show for Anime fans. There are no in-jokes that only Otaku will get. It is not aimed at the Lolicon crowd. The characters have Moe designs only to subvert audience expectations; think Shadow Star Narutaru or Higurashi. I am not an Otaku, yet I absolutely love PMMM. I can truthfully say - as in, I love it because it is good, not the other way around - that the show is one of the absolute best I have ever watched.

Have you even watched the show? Even a little bit?

You do have a point in that sales will not drastically increase just from the addition of a dub. Most people who are not familiar with it will dismiss it out of hand like you seem to have done. However, so what if it has a dub and Blue Exorcist doesn't? It might be bad business sense on Aniplex's part, but there's no denying which series deserves to get a dub. As in, quality-wise.

Don't get me wrong, I like Blue Exorcist, the latest episode (fifteen) was awesome. But it's not nearly as good as PMMM, and it is only going to be 2-cour, at least for now. It will never threaten the Shounen giants in terms of sales, it just isn't marketable enough, even if you dubbed it and put it on Adult Swim or whatever's on these days.

Okay, it still appears to be poor business sense on Aniplex's part to pass over Blue Exorcist for a dub while giving PMMM one. Yet, what do we care? Or more specifically, what do I care? The best show in the last few years is getting an English dub, Christmas has come early. Aniplex must believe that dubbing it will be worthwhile, they don't come across as a company which would take such risks, especially given how expensive the license must have been.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
(Just in case anyone from Aniplex of America is reading through this thread, I’ll give you my two cents on how you could, conceivably, market Madoka on television in North America.)

I don’t think Adult Swim would be the proper venue to exhibit Madoka to the public. Given Madoka’s surrealist-looking aesthetic style, I think a channel like IFC (Do they even still play anime?) would be a better venue to showoff Madoka. From my experience, the Adult Swim crowd that watches anime is usually pretty up-to-date with their knowledge regarding popular anime titles, so Adult Swim might not be the best venue to attract a lot of new viewers. Madoka might be one of the few shows in recent years that has the potential to be a hit in the North America just because of its aesthetic style. I think it is fair to say that the hipster and the intellectual crowds are probably more likely to be attracted to unconventional deviations from the traditional art style used in anime, so a show like Madoka with its intertextuality, surrealist-looking art, narrative complexity, and highly entertaining plot could be a hit outside of the small crowd of people that regularly watch anime if marketed correctly.

The main problem I saw when watching IFC was that whenever they showed an anime they used the dub version of the show(they might have shown subtitled versions, but I never saw them), not to mention they played shows like Witchblade. (I like Witchblade, but ridiculously oversexed anime characters are probably not the best way to appeal to the crowd that watches IFC) It is all about preconceptions and context when it comes to attracting a viewer. I’ll be frank, keeping the original language and using subtitles with a foreign film or TV show usually drives away a lot of people, but it also attracts a certain crowd, i.e., the pretentious crowd. (This is where people’s preconceptions come into the mix because viewers tend to associate a show/movie in subtitles with being high-art.)Madoka might be one of those few shows that is complex and artsy enough, without being totally unapproachable to the non-anime fan(e.g., Bakemonogatari), that it could capture the attention of the art-house audience who watch a channel like IFC. By using the subtitle version of the show on a channel that exudes an aura of pretentiousness, you might be able to attract a larger audience then you would by showing it on Adult Swim.

Regardless of whether you decide to play this on television or not, thank you very much for licensing this utterly fantastic show.
Very Happy
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Now how about an English dub for Blue Exorcist?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Chiwa Saito was just GODLY as Homura and the best english va's possible wouldnt be able to compare, it's like the character was made to fit HER. Aoi Yuki was great too....well the entire cast was, I just don't see anything comparing. What scares me the most is how terrible dubs have been overall in the last half decade. The last GOOD dub I remember was probably GITS:SSS..everything else ranging from terrible [clannad] to decent [gundam 00]

I needed to put that part I put in bold because it caught my eye and made me want to ask something. Why the hell does it matter so significantly to compare audio tracks just because they exist? I feel as if I should know the answer to this and maybe I did find someone answer a similar on the internet and I just forgot about it. But really, why?! I don't get it! From what I know about the majority of voice actors, they're not deliberately competing with their Japanese counterparts in whatever role they're in. They care a LOT more about breathing as much life into their character and their lines based on how they're being directed by... well, the voice director, not by strictly comparing themselves to the Japanese. A few actors might do that, but I doubt the majority do.

I mean, it's just anime fans that usually make that whole Japanese and english voice actor comparison and be "hard-to-the-core" about it. The only time english and Japanese actors ever compare each other is if they're say, at the same panel at a con and they're just having fun about it between actors. I mean, I get having personal preferences to voices and performances and whatever is fine. But to say stuff like, "Chiwa Saito was just GODLY as Homura ," or "it's like the character was made to fit HER," as if one's creating an official, factual standard for this sort of thing, I'm like, "really? Is any of this that necessary?"

But whatever. Regarding Madoka itself being dubbed, I'll definitely be curious to know who the voice director will be and who that director will cast for what role. I can't I'll wanna buy it on home video though. And not because of Aniplex's pricing, or if it may not have blu-ray or whatever. It's just that while I liked the show, I don't like it enough to wanna rewatch it. Definitely cherry pick episode 10, but not rewatch the whole thing over and over again.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Saffire wrote:
I wonder if they're dubbing it so that it can air on Adult Swim like they did with Durarara. Either way, great news.

That would be a shocker considering we haven't had a magical girl series on TV for a long time.

Madoka is only a magical girl series in the sense that Evangelion is a super robot series. It is, but that's missing the forest for the trees. It's got a shot, I think.

On Adult Swim, no, not their type of show. And they got burned by Evangelion.

Besides, before ya can de-construct the magical girl genre, ya have to build it up first. To Adult Swim viewers --heck to many Americans now-- it hasn't been constructed since the ancient days of Sailor Moon. Laughing

Anyways, Rurouni Kenshin! Now that should be back on CN, right?! Very Happy

Last edited by enurtsol on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm bit on a fence regarding Magica Madoka. I might get this if my wallet lets me (after checking other anime DVDs of the list) get it on DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8