• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Omega Men

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staab99

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
As for viz, they dubbed all of Monster, why not just released it? Or give it to another company to distribute the series?
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
I'm always confused when these arguments come up, because honestly I don't see how it's Viz's "fault" that fans don't like them for making smart business decisions. If a show isn't selling well enough, it probably means the rest of it (if it's a long running title) or shows similar to it (if it's a shorter one) aren't going to be released. They

On Monster: There are a whole lot of issues to release a series dubbed on DVD, if Viz doesn't think the revenue earned would pay back all the fees or make a decent profit, they won't nor should they have to release it. They are under no obligation to release a series in which they'd loose money.

Also: Like Dragynstorm mentioned, sometimes there are other circumstances with the original creators which means it can't be released.

Granted I would also like if they were to announce that they are stopping a certain show. I know what they're trying to to do, keep it open for possibilities, but if they know for sure, they really should just tell us.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
It seems my social networking point wasn't clear, so lets see if I can fix that.

Quote:
Err...Viz has a facebook and a twitter you know, and they respond fairly frequently to both.

Quote:
As someone else said, they have a Facebook account and multiple very active Twitter accounts (one for Viz, Shounen Jump, and Shojo Beat, I think).

Company faces are not people. Justin Rojas, Charlene Ingram, Clarine Harp, Adam Sheehan, and Lance Heiskell all have personal twitter accounts. Their forums is also it's own, little social networking hub. But to my point, I can perfectly understand not everyone following foot; they're special in that regard.

However. Shawne and Alison of TRSI both have strong presences on both this board and the Fandom Post boards. Not mention they (TRSI) have their own podcast. John Sirabella of Media Blasters makes a couple appearances over there at Fandom Post as well despite that company apparently being really small staff-wise. Sentai doesn't have much in the way interactions on the web, but there's not really much to them, so it's not a bit issue (at least in my opinion). Where are the Viz people? Hell I know the names of the people who work at NISA (new to the anime business) and Anime Midstream (an upstart company). Know why? Because they've made appearances on the ANNcast.

This lack of personal intimacy in the anime community (which I mentioned is a very close one) is annoying and I can see why Viz would get hit harder for the things I brought up earlier than the other companies. If they want to give off this feeling of not wanting much to do with consumers as people (people as in themselves and the fans), well, prepare for the backlash when you have the reputation of not finishing what you start.

Quote:
And this is something that bothers me. Why do people raise such a cry about Viz stopping manga series? (Not singling out you, The King of Harts) Yes, it's bad. It's REALLY bad. I hate it with a burning passion and wish they would just suck it up and finish putting out the freaking thing!! But… it's not like Viz is the only one that does it.

And this is why I didn't touch the manga, because I don't know that field. I just hear people getting pissed off a lot about it, so I assume it happens enough. Plus, dropping anime and manga really makes them look bad, and, again, get hit harder than other companies. I also think it makes them look worse because they're the big fish in the pond in terms of manga. It's like if Funimation had a whole bunch of dropped titles despite being "The Company" and having a bunch of known money makers. So people see Blue Exorcist, Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece make the best sellers list, but then see that Manga Title X has been dropped apparently and have a "Wha?" face followed by a "FUUUUUU!" face. That's the impression I get from the manga side, at least.

Quote:
But they took questions at Fanime and said (if I'm not mistaken, someone please correct me I'm wrong!) at Comic Con that though they would not take questions during the panel, they would take questions after the panel, outside the panel room.

Why not answer them at the panel? I don't know how to word this without it being misread, so just know that I'm not trying to be a smartass when I say this: Are they nervous or scared or something? Do they not want to get bombarded with questions regarding dropping stuff, which I imagine would be most of the questions? And by answering outside of the panel they don't get put on record and don't look somewhat foolish when confronted up on a stage. That's how I read into that. They are flighting instead of fighting. If they can just cover their ears and close their eyes, the problem goes away until the next con.

Quote:
The year before that, one of the higher ups gave out his email so people could ask him questions personally.

That's cool and I give him credit for doing that, but apparently not much came from it since the rage hasn't subsided.

Quote:
Sorry for the rampant white knighting.

You were coherent and not insulting, so it's no problem at all. I only hope I come off as coherent and sane myself since I never really know how something will be read. I just want it to be known that I'm not anit-Viz since I don't have a personal beef, but I don't like how they do things and I perfectly understand where anti-Viz guys are coming from, especially the ones that have been burned several times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I have no idea why people think the first 20 episodes of the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime has great timing. There are clearly episodes that primary purpose was to waste time so that Hiromu Arakawa could write more manga, so they stop making mistakes.

Does anyone actually like the way the alchemy exam was presented? It was completely unnecessary and what I think was supposed to be the big moment (Mustang telling Al he can't be a state alchemist) is ruined by the idea that Mustang can't tell that Al is a genius on the level of his brother. It's just more of the first anime never being able to write Al as anything other than the "younger less interesting brother of Ed".

The primary purpose of going to Rush Valley (to further Winry's characterization) is removed as the Winry becomes an apprentice subplot is only in the manga. You can easily skip Rush Valley in the first anime and not miss anything.

The less said about the "Al pretends his a haunted suit of armor" episode the better.

I thought Mustang's problem was that Al's hollow on inside? So the bigwigs would know they'd done human transmutation? I've haven't seen the series for a while though.
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
I really wonder that aside from otaku who buy the blu-ray releases of these types of anime shows, does the average Japanese in general even care about these anime adpatations of light novels?

Nope.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
I really wonder that aside from otaku who buy the blu-ray releases of these types of anime shows, does the average Japanese in general even care about these anime adpatations of light novels?

Nope.

If the average Japanese read light novels, yes. But there will always be people trying to partition XYZ fan group away from the average population for some reason or another. Once you become a fan of something you're no longer considered "average."
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

The average Japanese in general does not care about anime in general (apart from Ghibli and a few classics like Doraemon or Sazae-san). That's why most anime are broadcast in the middle of the night (or the children series in the late afternoon), while the prime time slots are occupied by live action series and movies (and talk shows).

(But honestly, most anime series make it very difficult for a normal person (i.e., someone not attracted to drawn characters) to like them.)
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of sorry I posted that one-liner about Viz...it seems to have turned into a huge deal. Very Happy

I think most of the stuff I would have said has already been mentioned, but yes, how Viz handled Monster was the reason I posted that. I consider the series to be nothing short of a masterpiece, and I think it's a damn crime that it's unavailable for purchase here. It wasn't just the sole fact that they only released a single boxset, though...it was a combination of a bunch of factors surrounding that. First off, Viz had (deservedly or not) already garnered a reputation for letting multiple licenses drop off the radar without comment. They had to realize that there are a lot of people out there who wouldn't buy anything from them without the majority of it being available first. So what did Viz do? They released a single set, just 20% of the series...and stopped. There was never so much as a whiff of a solicitation for the next set. How many people are going to start buying a show that they know will never get finished? I can guarantee that the first set would have sold much better if Viz had bothered to at least set a general release date for follow-up sets. Kekkaishi was mentioned as another Viz title potentially in doubt, but hell, at least it has a second set available for pre-order. Monster didn't even get that much.

Secondly, and maybe most perplexingly, Viz had already undertaken the most expensive part of the work on any series: the dubbing. They'd already shelled out to dub all 74 episodes, and even to get them broadcast on TV. After that, you'd figure that the only thing they had to lose by not releasing the rest of the show on DVD was recouping at least some of those costs. DVD authoring and packaging (at least for those sorts of packages) isn't exactly expensive, so they'd be guaranteeing at least some income by making the rest of the series available. It's almost as if they wanted to take a bigger loss on the title.

And finally, when you see the company that releases the biggest and most profitable anime/manga titles in the US market decide that several lower-profile titles aren't even worth finishing, you start to wonder. It's been a long-running joke that FUNi uses the perennial cash cow that is DBZ to finance the rest of their operations, and Viz essentially has the equivalent in the form of Naruto and Bleach. From their past actions, they've given the impression that, if a title isn't making the NYT top 25 bestsellers list, they don't want to bother with it. You're telling me that they can't use those profits to subsidize a more niche series, much like FUNi or Sentai does on a monthly basis with some of its lower-key acquisitions? Something doesn't smell right there.

Above all else, I'd just like them to have the common decency to say straight-up that they're discontinuing a title. FUNi has done as much with shows like Big Windup and Hell Girl that didn't perform particularly well; they've done the "We're sorry, but these titles just didn't sell, so we're not able to license additional seasons" speech. I don't think that's too much to ask. I'd have far more respect for Viz if they'd make that small bit of effort to connect with their customer base and acknowledge that there are disappointed fans out there...instead, they stay completely mum and wind up getting everyone angry at them. I wasn't a business major, but I'm pretty sure that's not a great way to keep people buying your stuff.

And as far as being easy for fans to contact...hardly. Viz's website doesn't even list a company e-mail address, much less any sort of social media account. When I tried to get a (very much quixotic) fan campaign going, I had to resort to suggesting sending letters to their mailing address, because that was all I was able to find. Considering that I never got so much as a boilerplate "Thanks for your interest!" e-mail in reply, I doubt anyone there ever bothered reading the letter in the first place.
pantsmca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
The anime doesn't do the source content much justice aside from the visual appeal.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:

I thought Mustang's problem was that Al's hollow on inside? So the bigwigs would know they'd done human transmutation? I've haven't seen the series for a while though.

Mustang didn't tell Al that until after Al took the written test because he assumed that Al would fail.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I have no idea why people think the first 20 episodes of the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime has great timing. There are clearly episodes that primary purpose was to waste time so that Hiromu Arakawa could write more manga, so they stop making mistakes.

What exactly is a "mistake?" Would that be anything that differs from the manga? Both series are adaptations, it's just that the second one had the advantage of having a finish source product to go on. If you ask me, there would be little point in having an adaptation if it just follows the source verbatim. And let's not forget that they had permission from Arakawa to go ahead since she was nowhere near done, and it's preferable to the pointless seasons of filler that other shows use.

Compared to the first 13 episodes of Brotherhood where they rushed to get through the stuff people saw before, it does have great timing.
Charred Knight wrote:

Does anyone actually like the way the alchemy exam was presented? It was completely unnecessary and what I think was supposed to be the big moment (Mustang telling Al he can't be a state alchemist) is ruined by the idea that Mustang can't tell that Al is a genius on the level of his brother. It's just more of the first anime never being able to write Al as anything other than the "younger less interesting brother of Ed".

I liked it, so, yes, someone does. And, it's not that Mustang can't tell how good Al is, it's that he was keeping his past a secret.
Charred Knight wrote:

The primary purpose of going to Rush Valley (to further Winry's characterization) is removed as the Winry becomes an apprentice subplot is only in the manga. You can easily skip Rush Valley in the first anime and not miss anything.

The less said about the "Al pretends his a haunted suit of armor" episode the better.

I guess I didn't see that much characterization going on during those episodes. Winry seemed to be about the same as before. So, perhaps one can skip it in Brotherhood and not miss anything there either? You did mention the manga, so maybe it did a better job in that regard.

Yorozuya wrote:

It was. And it seemed like he allowed Al to sit for the exam as a means of motivating Ed. A bit a sibling rivalry can be a good thing.

Overall, I tend to agree with what Zac and Justin said.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Ouch, not a fan of Burn Notice or any of the USA original shows, huh?

I laughed at that part myself. While I can understand the feeling, I have to respectfully defend one of my current favorite TV shows. Mr. Green

What Justin said about FMA vs. Brotherhood was probably the most inline with how I've felt about it so far, and bringing up the paying-attention-to-timing-and-body-language thing is something I agree with most of all. Those aspects can impact a series so much (I think that's a major contributing factor into why fans argued - and still argue to this day - about the ships in Avatar: The Last Airbender. The body language and other more subtle elements can be seen/interpreted in a number of ways that perhaps the creators never intended).

EDIT: Also, I think it's horrible how much grief people in "the industry" (for lack of a more accurate term) get from fans. I think, by and large, those people are doing everything they can and are working their asses off in the process. And we should damn well respect and appreciate that.
So in the spirit of that, please allow me to humbly offer my sincere thanks to you guys and everyone else giving it their all in this sub-culture industry. Anime catgrin

Last edited by Ashen Phoenix on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
hg revolution

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Justin seems a bit backwards on the live-action adaptations thing. There's hardly anything in Cowboy Bebop that couldn't be done well in live action (not that it will be done well, but I can totally imagine Tarantino getting his hands on the property and making a masterpiece), and Ghost in the Shell-style visuals in live-action have already been done in the form of The Matrix. I can not for the life of me, however, imagine how Tetsuo's guts turning inside out into a giant milk-spewing baby could possibly work in a live-action movie.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

What exactly is a "mistake?" Would that be anything that differs from the manga? Both series are adaptations, it's just that the second one had the advantage of having a finish source product to go on. If you ask me, there would be little point in having an adaptation if it just follows the source verbatim. And let's not forget that they had permission from Arakawa to go ahead since she was nowhere near done, and it's preferable to the pointless seasons of filler that other shows use.

Compared to the first 13 episodes of Brotherhood where they rushed to get through the stuff people saw before, it does have great timing.
Charred Knight wrote:

I liked it, so, yes, someone does. And, it's not that Mustang can't tell how good Al is, it's that he was keeping his past a secret.
Charred Knight wrote:

I guess I didn't see that much characterization going on during those episodes. Winry seemed to be about the same as before. So, perhaps one can skip it in Brotherhood and not miss anything there either? You did mention the manga, so maybe it did a better job in that regard.

Yorozuya wrote:

It was. And it seemed like he allowed Al to sit for the exam as a means of motivating Ed. A bit a sibling rivalry can be a good thing.

Overall, I tend to agree with what Zac and Justin said.

By "Mistake" I mean plot hole.

A good example of a mistake is the birth scene in the first anime, in it Ed claps his hands together, and then touches a bucket water heating it. Neither the Elric brothers understand what is going on. This contradicts the fact that when you pass through the gate you automatically learn about how to do clap transmutation. This becomes an important plot point in the movie where spoiler[Dietlinde Eckhart learns alchemy from passing through the gate including clap transmutation.]

As for why Mustang let Al take the test I have the quote right here
"I never would have expected the younger brother to pass the written, too"

This is straight out of the official subs, Mustang didn't think Al could become a state alchemist so he never bothered to tell Al his body would prevent it from happening.

Winry matured, and became responsible by becoming an apprentice in the manga.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
The average Japanese in general does not care about anime in general (apart from Ghibli and a few classics like Doraemon or Sazae-san). That's why most anime are broadcast in the middle of the night (or the children series in the late afternoon), while the prime time slots are occupied by live action series and movies (and talk shows).

(But honestly, most anime series make it very difficult for a normal person (i.e., someone not attracted to drawn characters) to like them.)

Oh no, I'm fairly aware of that. I've seen not only the TV anime rankings thread on Crunchyroll, but I've also seen TV ratings for TV programming in general in Japan. That and I've watched videos and seen responses in other places on the internet where people in Japan or ofreigners who live there explained how Japanese as a society other than generally think of anime. Believe me when I say I've done my research on the overall mentality. Though I was referring to light novels specifically because unlike anime and manga, I don't know who actually buys those unless it's just otaku.

By the way, regarding the ANNCast episode, I can't help but understand how frustrated Justin felt about being in Central Park Media and doing the best at you job just so you see replies on the internet where specifically-high demanding tell you how much you suck at your job and how you should do better. Though I don't exactly relate in that I've had a job with that sort of feedback given to me by consumers. But let's just say that as someone aspiring to be an animator, I would feel at least a bit annoyed if I ever one of these days joined a company to help work on making a show for Cartoon Network or something, it gets on air, and people across the internet say how much the animation sucks, how much the show sucks and doesn't meet "quality TV" standards, etc., etc..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5