• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Updates Ratings System

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
Also, obscene material must have a label, so soccer moms here can't sue manga companies because they have been warned. I find it ironic how we have laws on censorship for tv/movies but we view more nudity/violence when our neighbours to the south can view anything they want but they censor way more.

Not quite sure what you mean there. Are you trying to say that censorship is more relaxed in Canada despite the fact that media is more heavily regulated? If so, that is true. Manga hasn't really been "regulated" though, although I seriously doubt that, today, Chapters is as militant about content in manga as American bookstores are.

I notice that at stores like Book Off the "shounen/shoujo" manga and "seinen/josei" manga are kept in different sections. I'd recommend that bookstores try something like that, but it would probably just cause infinite confusion for everyone.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Also the other thing that bothers me is this, I attempted to buy the new FMA volume (In January) but was unable because of several kids reading that same volume, I almost wanted to ripped it out of their hands and tell them I am actually buying this.

Rip one out of their hands, tell the clerk your gonna buy it now, and see what the other kid does.

If he coughs up the money, then repeat with the next poor moron. Twisted Evil
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

Are you trying to say that censorship is more relaxed in Canada despite the fact that media is more heavily regulated? If so, that is true.

Yup, for example something that's rated R in the States is usually rated 14A in Canada. The CRTC regulates television on obscene material with laws in place but compaired to American television, Canada shows more nudity and violence on TV. I'm guessing because there are laws in place that is why people don't sue television for nudity/violence, making nudity/violence more acceptable. I'm sure there are people who sue television companies and write complaint letters but compaired the the US Canada is more liberal. Books aren't regulated because the obscene material isn't shown in public.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
So, if under Tokyopop's new rating system, manga that contains "sexual themes" and incest are being rated 16+ and 18+, what does this mean for manga like Cardcaptor Sakura, which is rated A but contains homosexuality. incestous undertones, and lolicon and shotacon undertones?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
So, if under Tokyopop's new rating system, manga that contains "sexual themes" and incest are being rated 16+ and 18+, what does this mean for manga like Cardcaptor Sakura, which is rated A but contains homosexuality. incestous undertones, and lolicon and shotacon undertones?

SHHHH!!! We don't want those Perverted Justice Guys target Manga!!
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
LOL.

Either way, I hope parents don't bitch anymore, because they're so ridiculous. I used to work in Waldenbooks and boy...when I had gotten questions asked about manga , they had their own "preferences" on what their kid should read.

-.-; It's difficult to monitor the young ones because they do get curious....
Remember, the books are "that way" because their listed in alphabetical order by TITLE and not GENRE of manga.

Anime dazed too tired to think anymore...*falls asleep*
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:35 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Either way, I hope parents don't bitch anymore, because they're so ridiculous.

Oh, they won't stop. *points to video game 'debate' and associated issues*
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
lolicon and shotacon undertones?

I'm not going to claim that CCS is something I'm paticularly cluey about, but considering the comic was made for a young audience, could you honestly say that it has Shotacon/Lolicon undertones, rather than say "boys and girls having feelings and stuff"? I mean, that in itself doesn't make it Shotacon or Lolicon.
ShootYouStars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Well, with the new "Y" rating, "Teen" might actually mean something again.

Tokyopop always had a Y rating. For example, titles like Mink, Etcetera, and Tokyo Mew Mew are rated Y (either 10+ or 7+, depending on how old the volume is) and were published waaay before this came out. Tokyopop is the only company that has a Y rating though, I think...

See, this is all fine and dandy! But it really doesn't help when you're at Borders, pick up a book, look at the back, and the price sticker IS RIGHT OVER THE RATING. From experience, sometimes they are like that. It actually helps me a bit, because usually I can see through, and my parents don't look at me funny when it says OT or T+ or whatever the over-Teen-under-Mature rating is and then say "we'll read it first" and then just ignore it untill I steal it back. Such is the life of a 13-year-old, I guess...
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

I'm not going to claim that CCS is something I'm paticularly cluey about, but considering the comic was made for a young audience, could you honestly say that it has Shotacon/Lolicon undertones, rather than say "boys and girls having feelings and stuff"? I mean, that in itself doesn't make it Shotacon or Lolicon.
They don't show anything sexual, but they do make it very clear that Rika, a ten year old girl, is obviously dating her fiourth grade teacher (and a scene in the last volume makes it clear that they're meeting up for a romantic rendezvous), Touya dated his teacher Mizuki-sensei while he was still in junior high, and the last volume makes it clear that ten year old Eriol is involved in a relationship with Mizuki-sensei. I'm not particularly worried about the ratings of CCS, it's just something I'm curious about.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
ShootYouStars wrote:

See, this is all fine and dandy! But it really doesn't help when you're at Borders, pick up a book, look at the back, and the price sticker IS RIGHT OVER THE RATING. From experience, sometimes they are like that.

Wow...That can't be right. I've never seen a manga with price stickers on it. UNLESS It's on CLEARANCE./BARGAIN Especially at Borders. >_>;

That's just the first time I've heard of something like that, but even before I worked in the bookstore, I've always been able to see the ratings without a problem.

It's either at the bottom right hand corner or the top left hand corner of the manga, and easily visible.
kasia.piekarz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I am the marketing manager for the ratings system and thought I would clarify a few things:

1) The ratings system is now not only more detailed but will reflect those details on the back cover of each new series starting in September 2007. For example, an OT book might then say "May include Moderate Violence, Moderate Gore, Moderate Sexuality", etc.

2) It's not B&N or Borders that shrinkwraps books; they require that all M-rated books are shrinkwrapped. An increase in shrinkwrapped books only reflects an increase in mature-rated titles.

3) TOKYOPOP does not censor it's materials, and it will not start now; the ratings system was developed only to inform.

You can read a more detailed description of how we developed our ratings system at www.tokyopop.com/ratings. Also, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] with questions.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
3) TOKYOPOP does not censor it's materials, and it will not start now; the ratings system was developed only to inform.

This is a flat-out lie. Moon Phase and KamiKaze were censored, and I believe a few others were as well, though specific titles do not come to mind.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
kasia.piekarz wrote:

Shenanigans!! I call Shenanigans!!

<bleep>, your "edits" to Initial D almost border on censorship!!

Disagree with what she says or not, vulgar language and name calling like that will not be tolerated. Be respectful towards others regardless of your feelings on the matter. - Keonyn
yukikanou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quote
TeaChan wrote:
This is interesting. I guess this might make it easier for librarians and others who's job it is to choose reading material for kids and teens. Many people in those fields are not familar with manga and the whole graphic novel scene. I must say many are learning but there is still that bias towards comics.

Like the incident with that "manga" book? I can't remember what that book was called, but some kid brought it home from the local library.

I say a Japanese language learner should have it to study from...for academia's sake. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4