• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Announces New Manga Licenses at NYCC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LC_Lapen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
I already knew about Gintama & Houshin Engi last year by the San Diego Comic Con, which makes me only excited about which ones they'll liscence this year.

I definately agree though. I expected VIZ to liscence more JUMP manga. Last year they got Buso Renkin, D. Gray-Man, REBORN!, and ZOMBIE POWDER for their Advanced line, and Black Cat for their regular line (I think I might have missed a few, maybe). We definately need MR. FULLSWING for the sports lineup, and a classic like Hell Teacher Nube would be great as well. Plus, both of those series are long and have finished their run in Japan, so there is no worry of catching up to release dates and having to wait 5 months for a new volume.

(P.S. - Seconded for getting Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro! )
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
"New" manga licenses. Ya right.

Viz remains an utterly boring and predictable publisher.
Ever heard of seinen Viz? Ever heard of Big Comic Spirits Viz? Ever heard of your own d*mn Signature line Viz?

Quite laughable really.

Well, I think its safe to say Gyo and Uzumaki will go to the Signature line. Not sure on Togari or Portus as I know nothing about them.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
domino wrote:
Gintama is "new"? Are they actually going to release it this time, or just keep releasing one chapter per year? Anime cry

GIntama should be released in a straight-to-manga fashion following its stint in SJ.

While I haven't been in the manga scene for all that long, after looking up several of the series, the ones I haven't even heard about are Togari, Portus, & Yurara. Are these their "real" new titles?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
Togari is the only one of those three in the encylcopedia at the moment and I don't see any mention of it being in the news before. The other two don't seem to be there at all. So I guess those three are actually new titles.

Someone elsewher mentioned Yurara is shojo (which I assumed, based on the way the titles are listed) but I'm not sure where Togari and Portus fall.
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
Hmm I wonder if anybody is going to the rights to Gantz and Honey and Clover.
I still don't understand why these two titles are not out in manga form allready.

But yeah.. Viz manga annoucements...Zzzzzzzz
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
barbapapa wrote:
"New" manga licenses. Ya right.

Viz remains an utterly boring and predictable publisher.
Ever heard of seinen Viz? Ever heard of Big Comic Spirits Viz? Ever heard of your own d*mn Signature line Viz?

Quite laughable really.

Well, I think its safe to say Gyo and Uzumaki will go to the Signature line. Not sure on Togari or Portus as I know nothing about them.

Yes but they're anything but new stuff. Just reprints.
Talk about lazy.

Togari is a Shonen Sunday series, so that'll go to their Viz Media imprint. (what used to be "Action".)

And if there's anything we DONT need it's more Jump titles.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:20 am Reply with quote
For those that are complaining about the announcements of titles that have already been announced, I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, stuff like Gintama and Millenium Snow are headliners for new 2007 releases, why woudn't Viz mention them? And besides, NYCC is the first big convention of the year, with more opportunities for surprise announcements down the road.

As for Gantz, I'm surprised and not so surprised it hasn't been released in America. Yes, it's a popular series that's been released in other countries, that's been scanlated by multiple groups and conversely read by many fans (including me), and when ADV released the anime version here it sold really well. But facts are facts, and when I went to a Del Rey manga focus group in August last year Dallas Middaugh couldn't have put it any better. He said that a couple of years ago when he was working at Viz they looked at Gantz and decided not to release it. Why? Because it's filled with explicit violence, but more importantly it has more sex scenes than what we usually see in North American manga releases. They're not any more explicit than something that's on an NC-17 level, but anyone who's read it will tell you they get pretty close to pushing the limit. I'm sure that Dark Horse, who's a perfect match for Gantz, would love to publish it uncut, and from a little conversation I had with a Tokyopop editor I bet they would too, but the problem is that Gantz is a Shueisha title, a high-profile one. And Shueisha already has an American subsidiary to work through: Viz. So that makes the chances of getting Gantz out to the North American buyers even harder, because it's a Shueisha series, and I don't think Dark Horse or Tokyopop would want to go through all that trouble when it would probably be easier to sell a discontinued series from the back-catalogue of ADV manga or Gutsoon. Still, out of all the unlicensed seinen titles with an American fanbase, Gantz has one of the highest , if not the highest, demands for an American release, so I wouldn't give up hope.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
For those that are complaining about the announcements of titles that have already been announced, I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, stuff like Gintama and Millenium Snow are headliners for new 2007 releases, why woudn't Viz mention them? And besides, NYCC is the first big convention of the year, with more opportunities for surprise announcements down the road.

It's simply that they aren't actually new licenses. Except maybe for Togari, Portus, and Yurara. Some of the others may be only just now getting announced officially, but Gintama and Millenium Snow have already been officially announced. Hell, they've both had preview chapters in the magazines already (albeit a long time ago for Gintama). The "big deal" is simply that they are being treated as new licenses when they aren't.

Quote:
As for Gantz, I'm surprised and not so surprised it hasn't been released in America. Yes, it's a popular series that's been released in other countries, that's been scanlated by multiple groups and conversely read by many fans (including me), and when ADV released the anime version here it sold really well. But facts are facts, and when I went to a Del Rey manga focus group in August last year Dallas Middaugh couldn't have put it any better. He said that a couple of years ago when he was working at Viz they looked at Gantz and decided not to release it. Why? Because it's filled with explicit violence, but more importantly it has more sex scenes than what we usually see in North American manga releases. They're not any more explicit than something that's on an NC-17 level, but anyone who's read it will tell you they get pretty close to pushing the limit. I'm sure that Dark Horse, who's a perfect match for Gantz, would love to publish it uncut, and from a little conversation I had with a Tokyopop editor I bet they would too, but the problem is that Gantz is a Shueisha title, a high-profile one. And Shueisha already has an American subsidiary to work through: Viz. So that makes the chances of getting Gantz out to the North American buyers even harder, because it's a Shueisha series, and I don't think Dark Horse or Tokyopop would want to go through all that trouble when it would probably be easier to sell a discontinued series from the back-catalogue of ADV manga or Gutsoon. Still, out of all the unlicensed seinen titles with an American fanbase, Gantz has one of the highest , if not the highest, demands for an American release, so I wouldn't give up hope.

I guess I could see Viz passing on the title for such reasons (idiots), but if they don't want it, I don't think there is anything stopping other publishers from getting it. I think Viz gets first dibs but if they aren't interested, its up for grabs.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:05 am Reply with quote
I think Viz is more like "If we don't put it out, noone does".
Which holds back a LOT of quality manga.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:22 am Reply with quote
Some Shueisha series have been published by other companies in the last few years. Just look at Kodocha (Tokyopop) and Tenjo Tenge (CMX). It's not impossible, but getting a Shogakukan or Shueisha series, or something else that's made by a publisher who's owned by either of those two, is harder since they already own an American subsidiary, that's become somewhat more "corporate" recently, if that counts. I don't know; if you're curious you should just go ask someone who works for Viz or one of their competitors.
domino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
Request for Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro to be licensed thirded. It seems that Viz will get all popular Jump titles eventually, which is great... but it's disappointing when their "new manga" is manga that came out a long time ago. They should get a hold of newer stuff like Neuro that America hasn't seen before.

That's the problem I have with American anime/manga..... I really want to be happy when they get licensed, but they get licensed so long after I stop caring about the series ....
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
I'm sure that Dark Horse, who's a perfect match for Gantz, would love to publish it uncut, and from a little conversation I had with a Tokyopop editor I bet they would too, but the problem is that Gantz is a Shueisha title, a high-profile one.

I sure hope Tokyopop never gets their hands on Gantz.

But anyway, to stay on topic... Viz doesn't look very exciting for 2007. As everyone has mentioned, none of that is new news. I keep waiting for them to bring in another great shoujo title that wouldn't go under the Shojo Beat line. PSME, Banana Fish, and Basara are all finishing up soon (or in the next year) so I hope they'll be able to bring in decent replacements.

barbapapa wrote:
And if there's anything we don't need it's more Jump titles

Of course we do Wink
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Shojo Beat is a catch all for their shojo titles now. It's what the Shojo line used to be. Anything shojo goes there, it doesn't matter what magazine or publisher. The previous Shojo line will probably simply die out with Red River probably being the last title to finish (it still has 12 volumes to go).
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
Argh! Still no Honey & Clover. Maybe by the summer my hopes will be answered.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I think we should start a petition for Neuro to get licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5