• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Announces New Manga Licenses at NYCC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Viz wants to have to deal with the fan outcry they got for I's, but if worst comes to worst, there may be something they're required to censor. But whatever they censor will be really minor, and you probably won't notice it unless you've seen the original version.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:

Euhm excuse me, there are a fair share of SJ titles that I do like and buy. But I honestly don't think we need all of them; when you see how poorly represented other magazines are in comparison.

Well, not all titles in Viz's SJ line are from Weekly Jump. Anyway, if they bring over ones you don't like just don't buy them. You can support their Action line instead.

UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Is there a possibility of Viz censoring Ichigo 100% like they did with I's? I haven't read either series, but they seem similar (at least more similar to each other than Naruto or One Piece). I don't want to get it if it's as censored as I's apparently is.

There's always a possibility that Viz might censor a title, but they've already put a 'mature content' lable on the cover so hopefully that means they won't.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, not all titles in Viz's SJ line are from Weekly Jump. Anyway, if they bring over ones you don't like just don't buy them. You can support their Action line instead.

Am I the only one who is kind of bothered that they mix the two together? I don't really want Claymore and Beet on the same label with the better WSJ titles. Oh well, I wonder what will happen to them since MSJ is dead.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quote
How ironic. Muhyo and Rosie of Weekly Jump got licensed. The ONE title that I was interested in them bringing over.
It's about as long as Neuro, but doesnt fair so well lately in the weekly Jump rankings.

Oh well, yay. Razz
It's kind of like Jump's Kekkaishi imo. Refreshing series.
LC_Lapen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
How ironic. Muhyo and Rosie of Weekly Jump got licensed. The ONE title that I was interested in them bringing over.
It's about as long as Neuro, but doesnt fair so well lately in the weekly Jump rankings.

Oh well, yay. Razz

o.O? Where did you pull this info from? Don't see it on the main page, nor have I heard anyone else mention it. And don't you mean "Muhyo to Rouji"? I don't this Rosie has become the official romanization yet.

In regards to the statement about BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo bombing in America; yes, it bombed horribly. But not because people didn't like the series, but because VIZ handled it about as well as MJ handles babies on balconies. Releasing only 1 novel as a compilation, when the characters are already halfway through the storyline, is a horrible way to start a series. The fact that the Anime was liscenced is proof enough that the show has a fanbase (even if the DVDs also suck ass). Not only that, but shows that are completely random have done pretty well in the states (FLCL, Excel Saga, etc.)
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
LC_Lapen wrote:
barbapapa wrote:

Oh well, yay. Razz

o.O? Where did you pull this info from? Don't see it on the main page, nor have I heard anyone else mention it. And don't you mean "Muhyo to Rouji"? I don't this Rosie has become the official romanization yet.

This title's romanization confuses me to the bone. I just call it whatever comes to mind at the time.

And I got it from: http://www.animeondvd.com/forum/showpost.php?pid/375553/
LC_Lapen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote

Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation Vol. 1

Release Date: October 2007 (fitting)

Well, there goes what was probably going to be my biggest suprise at Comic-Con. I find it funny that these online bookstores can give us a better release date than the actual conventions. So now for JUMP's releases it's-

-Hoshin Engi *JUNE 2007
-GinTama (Advanced) *JULY 2007
-Strawberry 100% (Advanced) *JULY 2007
-Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation *OCTOBER 2007

Where's my Neuro, dammit!
domino

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote
Eehh, Viz has Muhyo?! (They got Muhyo instead of Neuro?! *weeps*

Now that's a surprise...! At least this means they're going for newer Jump titles instead of stuff that's been out long enough to become a TV anime (to ride off the popularity of the fansubs, perhaps?)
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote
Always happy to hear of new manga being released, but what really winds me up like a clock is the fact that Viz have licensed manga before that they still haven't finished. Sure I can understand if a series isn't popular, but the ones I'm really talking about are the likes of Guyver and Area 88.

I know Area 88 is now considered a classic manga, which only ever saw one GN released, but now that Golgo 13 is also getting another run, I'd love to see it get another chance with little editing (and maybe a mature rating).Guyver deserves another run, and if they don't want to run it then please let someone else have the license.

With regards to Gantz, I too sampled it online. Its a good but strong mature title which deserves respect by not editing so much and just shrink wrapping. I know Viz will probably hack it to bits anyway, and its for this reason scans will remain so popular. Since Viz are getting into the download arena (recently with anime) perhaps they should perhaps start offering unedited version of manga online. Gantz would do well here.

I guess what amazes me the most is still the amount of mature manga that gets (sometimes perhaps without publisher checking properly first) licensed but the majority of it isn't proof read first, which then later breaks the story flow when edited. Ten Ten, One Piece etc. I'm sure many fans would proof read manga for these publishers if they got paid for it, we'd all only stand to benefit from it. Releasing manga like Narutaru, then later possibly claiming ' its cute and it wasn't supposed to get this strong' isn't acceptable. Publishers should always know where the story is going start to end.

As for as these new licenses go, I will put my hand up for Togari. Also sampled via scans its a very cool little manga, about a boy named Tobe who went to hell for murder. Even after 300 years, he still does not repent for his sins. He's quite feisty trouble still, so he's given the option of escaping hell, by hunting for Togas (sins) in the human realm. If he collects 108 Togas in 108 days, he'll be free. However, there are rules he must follow. Its funny watching this samurai kid adjust culture shock of modern japan, while still trying to hunt Togas, eat, sleep, make friends and not get arrested. A tale of redemption laced in time travel, modern and ancient Japanese culture worth checking out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote
Muhyo got licensed before Neuro? I always thought they'd get licensed at the same time. Hopefully Neuro will see a release along with Muhyo.

And I think Viz should give Bobobobo another shot. They should actually...you know...advertise it. Also, Bobobobo has another series called shinsetsu bobobo that is only in manga form. How will we ever get that if it doesn't run?
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Why doesn't Muhyo to Rouji have an ANN page??
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:

Probably hasn't been submitted before. Which I did today.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
With regards to Gantz, I too sampled it online. Its a good but strong mature title which deserves respect by not editing so much and just shrink wrapping. I know Viz will probably hack it to bits anyway, and its for this reason scans will remain so popular. Since Viz are getting into the download arena (recently with anime) perhaps they should perhaps start offering unedited version of manga online. Gantz would do well here.

I guess what amazes me the most is still the amount of mature manga that gets (sometimes perhaps without publisher checking properly first) licensed but the majority of it isn't proof read first, which then later breaks the story flow when edited. Ten Ten, One Piece etc. I'm sure many fans would proof read manga for these publishers if they got paid for it, we'd all only stand to benefit from it. Releasing manga like Narutaru, then later possibly claiming ' its cute and it wasn't supposed to get this strong' isn't acceptable. Publishers should always know where the story is going start to end.

I think you're over-estimating the editing situation here. Viz doesn't edit their manga titles that are targeted to an adult audience. They don't lay a finger on titles like Monster or Vagabond, and they'd never lay a finger on Gantz either. It's only titles that are targeted to a teenage audience that are a problem, but that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore now that they're using "Mature Content" labels on the covers instead with titles like NANA, I"s, Ichigo 100% and Pretty Face.

I'm sure a company like Viz is well aware of the content of the titles they pick up before they start releasing them. They haven't really had any issues where they suddenly start editing because they weren't prepared for a particular type of content. Really, the only notable cases like that have been with Narutaru from Dark Horse and Moon Phase from Tokyopop. Plus, One Piece hasn't even been edited at all in terms of visuals.

The problem is (or perhaps was) that they were trying to enforce ridiculous standards on what was appropriate for certain age groups and tried to make sure the titles they picked up conformed with those standards, usually right from the beginning.

Last edited by Pepperidge on Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
I think that for you people who really want to see certain series get released here, you should send an e-mail or letter to Viz telling them your suggestions or just talk to them at a convention.

Personally I don't believe a few fans who want Viz to "go out of their way" to release more mature manga are going to make that much of a difference.

lyricaldanichan wrote:
That is very ironic, because I remember that Jason Thompson wanted Viz to bring out Jojo back in 2002 and they told him the same thing..and now it is finally out. Gee that would suck having to wait 5-6 years later if that happens with Gantz.

I do wonder if the recent issue with Tenjho Tenge not doing well in sales has had an impact of Gantz getting licensed...

UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Is there a possibility of Viz censoring Ichigo 100% like they did with I's?

Strawberry 100% is a fan service driven story, but from the few chapters I checked out I don't recall anything past some panty shots. Plus, as others have mentioned, Viz is going to slap a "Parental Advisory" warning on the cover, so "problem solved." Rolling Eyes

digitalkikka wrote:

But what about their Signature line?

Pepperidge wrote:
I think you're over-estimating the editing situation here. Viz doesn't edit their manga titles that are targeted to an adult audience. They don't lay a finger on titles like Monster or Vanguard, and they'd never lay a finger on Gantz either.

Vagabond, not Vanguard.

Anyway, that's primarily true. If you see anything from Viz's Pulp, Editor's Choice, or Signature line, you can bet that the art is intact.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
UltimaShadowfax wrote:

Probably hasn't been submitted before. Which I did today.

I've submitted it many times before (Same with Neuro and many other jump titles) and it never got approved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5