• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Rant

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
I have to admit, it took 300 chapters (exactly, actually) to decide if I loved or just 'liked' One Piece. I had always found it an enjoyable series, but wasn't sure if I could call it a favorite for the longest time until I read much further into the series and allowed the characters to really grow on me. It's not my favorite shonen, but it's definetly something I would continue to read for the next few years, or even longer. It's highly imaginative, and uses the shonen formula to strengthen, rather than weaken it. The only thing I dislike about it is how incredibly long some of the fights are. I mean, the battles for Water 7 took up the whole last year! I'm not sure whether these are more annoying to read all at once, or week by week. In my opinion, One Piece is at its best when the characters are not fighting but rather, exploring worlds and meeting interesting characters. It's during these segments that I think the author really shows just how limitless his imagination is.

300 chapters? They got my attention after Arlong Park. If you think the Water 7 arc was something, what about the Alabasta Arc and what lead up to it? It took 13 volumes from the time they met Princess Vivi to the time they left Alabasta, that one was LONG.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
300 chapters? They got my attention after Arlong Park. If you think the Water 7 arc was something, what about the Alabasta Arc and what lead up to it? It took 13 volumes from the time they met Princess Vivi to the time they left Alabasta, that one was LONG.

Arlong Park was great too, in fact it was what convinced me to read much further ahead through scanlations rather than wait years for the rest of the American release to come out. It's just that I still wasn't sure if One Piece was worth buying 40+ volumes of at that point.

Yeah, Alabasta was probably my least favorite part of the series, for the length alone. It just didn't seem to take as long as Water 7 to me because I was reading Water 7 chapter by chapter, rather than volumes at a time.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
Yeah, Alabasta was probably my least favorite part of the series, for the length alone. It just didn't seem to take as long as Water 7 to me because I was reading Water 7 chapter by chapter, rather than volumes at a time.

I see what you're saying. At the time that Alabasta was running in Shonen Jump was when I first read it. And it did indeed seem like a long time. But to me it's been worth having all 44 volumes so far, if ever I forget something or want to look back at something that's been referenced in a later volume, I'm free to do that.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
Why did this get rated so highly?

The "high rating" (which it does not have on ANN) is more a product of the fanbase rather than the series' own merits. The fans aren't very numerous, but the most vocal of them are very eloquent and persuasive. At that, the "-tardism" is kept at a low or is restricted to "hives" like K-F or NarutoFan's sub-forum, whereas more civilized discussions take place on other boards like Arlong Park.

Frankly, I'm an enormus OP fan and I've got to save it's not the "greatest" anything. It's good, refreshing, and well-written; an excellent fantasy story and nothing more than that. People who try to argue beyond that are either mistaken or outright wrong.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
Quote:

Arlong Park was great too, in fact it was what convinced me to read much further ahead through scanlations rather than wait years for the rest of the American release to come out. It's just that I still wasn't sure if One Piece was worth buying 40+ volumes of at that point.

Strangely, the climax of Alabasta was what made the series my favorite series. I'm not a huge fan of the arc, but I love the climax of it.

I was caught up to the manga by the time they were on the way to Enies Lobby, and man, reading each of the fight chapters in chapter by chapter increments killed me. It's a much better read in collected form. I haven't read any chapter past the end of Water 7 just because I want to sit down to a lot of chapters so I'm not being killed by single chapter a week.

Regarding the series as a whole, One Piece is fantastic. A great fantasy series with rich characters. There isn't a manga I'd rather read a million times than One Piece. I'm a huge fan of Shonen Jump manga, but honestly, there's not a Jump series that I think is anywhere near as good as One Piece.

I have to say SuperSkaMaster, give the series a shot up through Arlong (actually Loguetown just to finish the East Blue saga), because the series just doesn't start clicking until Baratie and doesn't actually showcase any really great potential until Arlong. If I had to judge the weight of the series on Buggy and Kuro, while I think they are entertaining arcs in their own right, the series is very standard.

Oda has done an amazing job in portraying its main characters. Each of the Straw Hat crewmates are huge favorites of mine, even though there were some I despised originally and some I was annoyed with originally. But after Water 7, I don't think there's any way this series can't be considered an absolutely brilliant shonen showcase.
bennyb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
My 2 cents:

-Luffy (nor any crew besides Zoro) never training, so no long/boring training arcs. This is a rarity.

-I know of no other SJ manga that takes the time to build up plot and character development this manga does, it makes each battle really feel like it matters, which is more than I can say for... other shows

-Nothing else has seemed so great to me for over 200 chapters, let alone 445.

The comedy and action are mixed with lovable characters that equate to a winning formula like that of Dragon Ball.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
My 2 cents:
-I know of no other SJ manga that takes the time to build up plot and character development this manga does, it makes each battle really feel like it matters, which is more than I can say for... other shows

The comedy and action are mixed with lovable characters that equate to a winning formula like that of Dragon Ball.

1. Somebody never read Kenshin.

2. DB was good...when I was 10. I hardly consider "Bad guy comes, they train, they beat him" good anymore.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
There are going to be certain series that are great when you are young, and they are going to stay great when you are older. Then there will be series that you liked when you were younger and don't like now, because you grew out of it. I don't see that as anything new.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
bennyb wrote:
My 2 cents:

2. DB was good...when I was 10. I hardly consider "Bad guy comes, they train, they beat him" good anymore.

come on now, did you really read the orignal dragon ball manga or are you bashing from what you saw on TV. Your whole "bad guy come, they train, they beat him" also can be apply to Kenshin as well.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:22 am Reply with quote
I love One Piece! Its a great fantasy series that has a fantastical feel to it. I like it more than Naruto and Bleach because of that. Like Bennyb, I am happy to see that there isn't that much of a training/multiple training arcs in One Piece.

Yeah Luffy is a moron, but he does know whats right from wrong and generally what his crew has done were things that should have been done by the World Government. Which was unconventional for pirates in One Piece.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
SuperOnizuka wrote:
Yeah Luffy is a moron, but he does know whats right from wrong and generally what his crew has done were things that should have been done by the World Government. Which was unconventional for pirates in One Piece.

It seems to me at times though, that the World Government could give a rat's ass about what is going on with some of the lower class people. But I guess that's what we have the Marines for. And also there are secrets that must be kept from the world, or else the Government might lose whatever hold it has. Godd example is the Incident at Ohara.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Super Ska Master wrote:
bennyb wrote:
My 2 cents:

come on now, did you really read the orignal dragon ball manga or are you bashing from what you saw on TV. Your whole "bad guy come, they train, they beat him" also can be apply to Kenshin as well.

I was just talking about DBZ. I never really saw DB. I can understand if it's better, since it makes sense that the earlier parts are better. But, Kenshin is a lot different. Kenshin's battles are done in a lot more intelligent way. It's whoever thinks up a good stratagy to win, not who has the biggest power level. If it had DBZ style fights, Yahiko would have never won a single battle. DBZ followed the exactly formula through it's entire run of the anime:

Bad guys come
They Lose
They Train
They win
Collect the dragonballs and wish everyone back to life
Rinse and Repeat
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
Super Ska Master wrote:
bennyb wrote:
My 2 cents:

I was just talking about DBZ. I never really saw DB. I can understand if it's better, since it makes sense that the earlier parts are better. But, Kenshin is a lot different. Kenshin's battles are done in a lot more intelligent way. It's whoever thinks up a good stratagy to win, not who has the biggest power level. If it had DBZ style fights, Yahiko would have never won a single battle. DBZ followed the exactly formula through it's entire run of the anime:

Bad guys come
They Lose
They Train
They win
Collect the dragonballs and wish everyone back to life
Rinse and Repeat

Wow, you make fun of Dragon Ball without even reading it. I'm really disappointed in you because I thought you had some sense, but now I can see why you hate One Piece as well. Your generalization is really disgusting.

LOL Kenshin's battle are done in a lot more "intelligent" ways? Rolling Eyes And One Piece is not? How about Naruto or Bleach or any other shounen. The thing is every shounen title will have a "gimmick" movie/technique that he/she will use to overcome the opponent. Not to mention that Kenshin's "intelligent" batttle/techique, are highly unrealistic.

And like I said before, your generalization can applied to Kenshin. Bad guy comes in search of Kenshin. Kenshin train, Sanokus Train, Yahiko train as well. They win. It's kind of the shounen formula.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Again, my generalizations were about DBZ. I have seen the entire series of that up to the end of the Buu Arc. I saw some of DB. I just never got around to watching the rest. Well, I guess I just see the battles in Kenshin as more intelligent, because the characters in the series are just more intelligent. I mean..it's not hard to beat Luffy in smarts.. -_-;;

Plus, the series is based off of historical people so that gives it some credit in my opinion.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:

Rurouni Kenshin is an overglorified manga by those who can't grow out of their teenage years and read some truly solid samurai manga such as Blade of the Immortal or Vagabond. Honestly, outside of the Kyoto arc and the flashback in the Jinchu, I never really found the original version to be nothing more than some silly, preachy shounen series. Of course, I'm one of those heretics who greatly prefers the two dark, nothing-to-laugh about OVA series, so take what you will from me.

Super Ska Master wrote:
Well, I guess I just see the battles in Kenshin as more intelligent, because the characters in the series are just more intelligent. I mean..it's not hard to beat Luffy in smarts.. -_-;;

RK follows the formula in shounen manga of where a character fighting in the battle prepares to strike while the spectators take two to three pages explaining the signficance of their technique. OP typically just lets the characters fight each other (something that, outside of that, Claymore and D.Gray-man, I can't really think of shounen doing).

Quote:
Plus, the series is based off of historical people so that gives it some credit in my opinion.

Yeah, and One Piece actually includes famous pirates in centuries past. Other shounen series have included historical settings and people in as well. Your point?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3