• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aniplex Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercreep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Nico87 wrote:
They are offering replacement discs as you said (they could have just not cared about it and started work on future releases instead, right?)

Yes. They should be given credit for doing what's right, but it doesn't exactly put them ahead of the pack; NISA and Funimation also offer replacements when they've released something faulty. It's not unique behavior, it's doing what's right. It shouldn't be rewarded beyond that.

Nico87 wrote:
and personally I don't mind one faulty line or a few grammar mistakes. I don't watch with dubs and I don't expect EVERYTHING to be 100% perfect. I read somewhere that the subtitle thing in DRRR! wasn't entirely AoA's fault though.

Whether or not it was their fault, they released the product, so they bare some responsibility. The fact that there are no refunds also does not work in their favor

Nico87 wrote:
I'm not blaming people who paid $150 and are complaining, don't get met wrong. However, people who aren't buying anything should just refrain from posting.

Fair enough.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
in order to keep anime costs low, employees are not really paid that much
most of them in the industry do it because they love anime
most likely, if there are lots of subtitle mistakes it means that there is not enough staff to proof check and people are either behind or overworked on many projects.

Really? Really?

I can see myself telling my clients "Hey, the reason there is mistakes in the work I did is that I'm behind or overworked on many projects". You know what? I wouldn't be able to retain any clients if I did that. Its my responsibility that my work is up to snuff and on time. It is also not the responsibility or concern of my clients/customers to pity me if there is something wrong with my work/product.

Sorry, I had to say something because that bugged me. If there's a mistake own up to it and fix it, don't make excuses. At least on this title Aniplex is doing the right thing with replacement discs.
ssandulak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who's a stickler for these things know how Bakemonogatari turned out? I'm really interested because I love that show! Very Happy
Specifically the grammar/spelling problems and what not...do they translate all the still frames?
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
ssandulak wrote:
Anyone who's a stickler for these things know how Bakemonogatari turned out? I'm really interested because I love that show! Very Happy
Specifically the grammar/spelling problems and what not...do they translate all the still frames?

The still frames are translated. There were a few typos in the commentary, but didn't see anything off in the actual episodes other than that I find untranslated words with parenthesis translations like "youkai (spirit)" and "neko (cat)" really annoying.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
Nico87 wrote:
I'm not blaming people who paid $150 and are complaining, don't get met wrong. However, people who aren't buying anything should just refrain from posting.

So the only people who can complain about these crappy releases are people who buy these crappy releases? Well that just makes perfect sense. Its not like anyone is a fan of the titles aniplex has or anything, and would like to own them.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
no one is making excuses, one-eye.
I am just giving you reasons as to why typos occur.

and you are partly incorrect. in the production world before anything is printed a client must 'sign-off' that everything is correct.
that means the client also has the responsibility to ensure he is getting what he asked for and must proof check.

now, if the client finds printing errors afterwards, of course you need to fix that but the client shares responsibility as well and must also cover part of the cost for re-printing. Now, this does not apply to consumers, I just mention it since you brought up your job for hire scenario.

obviously, Aniplex should ensure all future discs have all the errors fixed. And if the issue is serious enough, replace the discs.

however, crying about a few typos in reality is just a joke. 150$ is expensive for anime and most may not buy it, but in the real world that is chump change.

alot of you are mistaken as to why Aniplex titles are expensive. Aniplex is NOT expensive because you are getting a premium product.

Aniplex is expensive to protect EXCLUSIVITY, basically to keep the japanese version that people have invested in as valuable, desirable, collectible, a sign of prestige and pride.
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
alot of you are mistaken as to why Aniplex titles are expensive. Aniplex is NOT expensive because you are getting a premium product.

Aniplex is expensive to protect EXCLUSIVITY, basically to keep the japanese version that people have invested in as valuable, desirable, collectible, a sign of prestige and pride.

In interviews, Aniplex themselves have said that they offer a "premium" product. I think they did it in the semi-recent ANN interview as well.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Here is what I don't understand.

On some products, in the fine print, they tell you this can not be shipped outside of the United States or North America. Why don't they just do that with the releases if they fear reverse importation? I think that would solve the problem.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
@Nocturne123

Because that limitation is binding only on the distributors. There is nothing to stop the buyer from shipping it anywhere they wish. A number of Europeans and other make an arrangement with someone in the US to buy and ship this stuff.
ssandulak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

however, crying about a few typos in reality is just a joke. 150$ is expensive for anime and most may not buy it, but in the real world that is chump change.

Yeah, not really a joke. Sorry I don't think products you pay hundreds of dollars for should have more mistakes than products people release in their spare time for free...I can't believe people are actually defending it lol. There is no defense for such a thing. Saying to not get upset seems kind of off as well. "Sure he just poked you in the eye, but he COULD have lopped off a hand, you really shouldn't get upset over something so small." I was just bringing it up as a pet peeve that annoyed me...

Chump change is also relative. To some people? Yeah sure, but not for everyone.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Nocturne123

Because that limitation is binding only on the distributors. There is nothing to stop the buyer from shipping it anywhere they wish. A number of Europeans and other make an arrangement with someone in the US to buy and ship this stuff.

I would think it would cut some of it out though. It would make it more of a pain to do so and I doubt many would be willing to go through it. It wouldnt solve it a hundred percent, but I think it would be a step in the right direction.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
ssandulak wrote:

Ah, I see. I guess I must've not been living in the real world then. Perhaps you can give me a brave start? I want to live in the same world as you live in. Maybe $300 to start off? I mean, pssh! - it's chump change, right?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
If you would like a brave new start, move out of your mom's basement. once you start paying your own rent you will see how far 150$s takes you.

jokes aside, typos are a trivial matter. you did not pay 150$ for typos, you paid 150$ for the blu-ray set. consider they typos a free service, w.

You want to know what a real anime screw up is? I ordered the limited edition negima DVDs with figures from funimation. I opened up box 4 and it had evangeline in it. I then opened up box 5 and it had evangeline in it....

so I contacted funimation and they said they knew about the mix up but they were out of the 5th figure permanently. the fifth figure was the only one I actually wanted and it was cha-cha maru...

I was like, hnggggh!
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
If you know how to budget, you can easily eat for a month on $150 bucks.

Just sayin'. Neutral
ssandulak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
Ooookay. Well as long as their mistakes are trivial, let us just ignore them and say "Aw shucks!" Guess we're only allowed to be annoyed with big issues, but the big issues are clearly defined by someone who apparently can't see the light of day from inside their nethers.
To get a little more back on track, has there been any more word on Aniplex recent series they picked up? Release dates, formats...etc etc?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 67 of 108