• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Recent Chapters Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this week's chapter yet.

Overall, the chapter was good. I'm really speculating what Hody's true nature is. Maybe he's the son of Fisher Tiger or the brother of Arlong or something, lol.
And it's good to see that Luffy still has more to learn. He may learned the basics of Haki and implemented it to his powers, but he's still new when it comes to developing his Haki strength.
hidansama92

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Caribou come back, really liked him but never got to see much. Extremely anxious to see Big Ma, been waiting to see the last two Yonkous especially the one Shanks fought (totally forgot his name Laughing )
ochimusha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
So here's something interesting I can do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJb1djWiqo
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
(My posting here is in no way related to my posting in the other similar Naruto and Bleach threads, lol.)

This thread needs a revival. Since the last [credible] post, we've actually moved into the New World after having left Fishman Island.

spoiler[Charlotte "Big Mom" Linlin's appearance has finally been shown (leaving only Kaido to show at this point), and while on the Four Emperors subject, Blackbeard's taken Whitebeard's place among them. We've learned of a third weapon on level with Poseidon and Pluton, Uranus, to exist and that Princess Shirahoshi of Ryugu Kingdom is the living embodiment of Poseidon. Former, yes former, Admiral Aokiji fought with fellow Admiral Akainu for the position of Fleet Admiral, which the latter obtained (Aokiji refusing, for moral differences, to work under Akainu). The aforementioned battle took place in the current setting, the island of Punk Hazard, which is also a former research facility of the ever-secretive Dr. Vegapunk. The island's weather has literally been split in two across the island, being equally freezing on one side as it is scorching on the other. (Reflective of the admirals' Devil Fruit powers, which have permanently changed the climate on Punk Hazard.) The most recent, most important developments I can think of at the moment are that Smoker has become a Vice-Admiral and Trafalgar Law has become a Shichibukai.]

...Anything else major that I forgot? ;D
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you forgot that Franky can now turn into a tank. lol Cool
4750G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:00 am Reply with quote
This thread will be quite a waste if we don't update it often. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of One Piece manga readers out there. The anime is catching up pretty quickly, much like Fairy Tail.

Anyway, it's been a while since I last posted here, so I'll simply say my thoughts regarding the current arc:

One Piece's new arc has been going on for a couple of weeks now, and a lot of the more shocking twists have been revealed already. However, I did not expect another major character to pop out. I figured if there ever were new characters, they will be petty villains confined in this arc concerning spoiler[now Shichibukai Law]. The latest chapter introduced a spoiler[Ceasar Clown, apparently Vegapunk's former colleague.] I'm pretty sure this one's gonna be present in more arcs after the current one.

The current arc has been quite bizarre, to say the least. I'm finding it quite hard to follow at some points, actually. What I would like to point out, however, is Trafalgar Law's forbidden fruit power. Call me crazy but it's way too weird and way too powerful. Is that even allowed? I can't find a loophole around it no matter how hard I think.

While the current arc is very, very interesting spoiler[(the whole setup of the island being a wasteland after the clash of Akainu and Aokiji was pretty cool)], I'm not liking the presentation very much. There are a lot of good plot twists, as I've mentioned, but overall the whole thing has not been very enlightening. If I focus on the action scenes, of course they're great, but in terms of the story itself, as I've mentioned, everything's just quite out of order. I can't tell apart the marines from the current residents of the island from the underlings of Law from the hostages from the blah blah blah. I think my main problem is the sheer volume of characters present in this whole arc that I'm having trouble tracking down every single important person. It was a mess when there were three different divisions to the chapters, one for Brooke who was alone, one for Nami, Sanji, Chopper and Franky, and one for Luffy et al. Good thing the gang's together now, it would be easier to track down their movements. But seriously, this arc is quite confusing sometimes.

Maybe I'm just being nit picky about this whole thing. Story wise, this arc's plot twists trump that of Fishman Island for me. I would really love to know what on earth Law is up to. I hope after this arc, a chapter is presented that just sorts of updates everyone from the Strawhat crew about what happened in the two years they've been MIA.

I posted quite a long one, hope I'm not shot down for it. Can't wait for the next chapters, really. Very Happy
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Im diggin it so far but its early days and we're still in the setup for the arc really.

Its setting up alot of questions and i found the explanation for the state of the island to be pretty kickass. Give it time, seems to be taking a while to get anywhere with one piece as oda seems to take alot more breaks than he used to but then again he's been doing one piece for so long now im sure his circumstances are very different from when he started.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
Time to update.

The recent chapter (666, tehehe) was very enjoyable. I was expecting the Yeti Cool Brothers to be a typical bunch of wacky brothers, but they're actually pretty interesting, plus they look like skilled professionals.
Although, we still don't know much about Law's hidden agenda. I assumed it might have been related to his crew, but I'm not so sure anymore.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Hilight for me was the cover story. BON-CHAAN!
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
This arc has bored me. I've been reading it before Naruto and Bleach just to get it over with (I don't want to fall behind, either, or I'd altogether skip it.)

What I'm really waiting for is expansion on what happened to Capone Bege and his Firetank Pirates at the very beginning of the second half of this series... Or to see expansion on the idea that the "random winter island" which X Drake discovered, which is part of Kaido's territory (at this point, we need to see more of him), turns out to be Punk Hazard. (We don't know when Drake came upon the island, so it's possible that he came upon only the wintry half of Punk Hazard after Akainu and Aokiji's duel. The fact that Scotch, who is on Punk Hazard now, is who ran into Drake upon his arrival reinforces this theory.)
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Or to see expansion on the idea that the "random winter island" which X Drake discovered, which is part of Kaido's territory (at this point, we need to see more of him), turns out to be Punk Hazard. (We don't know when Drake came upon the island, so it's possible that he came upon only the wintry half of Punk Hazard after Akainu and Aokiji's duel. The fact that Scotch, who is on Punk Hazard now, is who ran into Drake upon his arrival reinforces this theory.)

I highly doubt that punk Hazard is the same island as the one that Drake went to. Especially since Punk Hazard didn't become a half-winter, half-fire island until Akainu and Aokiji's fight which took place during the 2 year time skip, and Drake went to a winter island prior to the time skip.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
we'll learn of what happened to the other supernovas in due time, i too am itching to see what became of the firetank pirates as well as bonney but im sure we'll see oda has yet to let me down in this regard.
Otishio

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
I was about 10 chapters behind but after seeing the pretty recent life in this article I went to go read them and DAMN. Law is becoming pretty amazing. I think he's almost too powerful as he has a lot of abilities that could easily win fights and really has no drawbacks outside the usual devil fruit stuff. I also think Clown is a pretty mysterious villain and I want to see what is up to.

And as to the Firetruck pirates I'm actually more interested in seeing what is happening to Kid. I didn't really like Capone from the start and he hasn't done anything yet so I don't know if this will change. However, Bonney also would be nice to see as to where she wound up. I'd hate to think that she's already out of the game even though Akainu is pretty tough..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2