Forum - View topic
Girl/Guy ratio of fans


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7270
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:02 am Reply with quote
I've recently been wondering, whats the ratio of Guys to Girls in terms of Anime fans? To be honest, when I first got into Anime, I kinda assumed the vast majority of fans were guys. As I've gotten more into it though its become obvious that there are quite a few female fansout there. I've never met a Female Anime fan in real life although I dont really have much contact with other fans or w/e in real life though, basically just my small group of friends, so that doesnt really mean anything. Is it a relatively even split or do guys still vastly outshadow girls?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Deltakiral



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 3338
Location: Glendora, CA (Avatar Hei from Darker than BLACK)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:10 am Reply with quote
I've always assumed that the men outnumber women by a large number. How large you say, well I don't know actually but I would suggest taking a look at this somewhat recent poll about the members who visit this site.

And from the results of that poll it's about what I assumed, Men 18-24 make up the largest plurality, followed by 14-17. Here what shocked me I'd assumed 18-24 Women would of been the next group but it's actually the opposite of the men.....and looking at the amount of younger girls reading at my local B&N I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
jetz



Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 2142
Location: Manila, Philippines
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote
yeah that's what I think too. I would assume that there are more guys into anime than girls, and in Genshiken you are able to see that. In Genshiken there are only two girls in their club.

Although I do think that girl anime fans are increasing as we speak, erm type. I used to think that I'm the only one in my circle of friends who loves to watch anime, but I'm surprised that a lot of my girl friends are also otakus. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 5463
Location: 露命
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
yeah that's what I think too. I would assume that there are more guys into anime than girls, and in Genshiken you are able to see that. In Genshiken there are only two girls in their club.


You're seriously going to use Genshiken, a work of fiction, as the basis for a conjecture about real life? Come on, now....

Okay, leaving the fictional aspect aside for a moment, let me just point out that Genshiken depicts a very specific subset of anime fans: college students in Japan who are openly part of a club devoted to anime and manga.

Let's run that by you again:
  • college students
  • in Japan
  • openly members of a club

See the problem yet? No?

Even if you were to accept that the series is an accurate depiction of the circumstances in which it is supposed to take place, there is a great deal more to fandom than just this particular segment. It's like looking at a single leaf on a huge tree, and deducing from the aspects of this leaf that the roots of the tree are similarly green and use chlorophyll to make use of sunlight.

That poll referenced earlier in the thread will give you a much better idea of the gender ratios... my guess is that, with the popularisation of shoujo manga in the West, recently, we're moving towards a situation of more or less parity.

- abunai

EDIT: typo correction


Last edited by abunai on Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz



Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 2142
Location: Manila, Philippines
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:42 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
You're seriously going to use Genshiken, a work of fiction, as the basis for a conjecture about real life? Come on, now....


Ok fine but here's what I thought.. Whoever made Genshiken (I forgot sorry..) probably got inspiration from real life.. There's a reason why it's made that way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro



Joined: 12 Jun 2003
Posts: 2451
Location: A block away from Golden Gate Park
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:36 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

And from the results of that poll it's about what I assumed, Men 18-24 make up the largest plurality, followed by 14-17. Here what shocked me I'd assumed 18-24 Women would of been the next group but it's actually the opposite of the men.....and looking at the amount of younger girls reading at my local B&N I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.


I believe that the ratio of female fans has always been higher in manga compared to anime. Whenever I think of manga in a bookstore I think of the rows of Margaret, Hana to Yume, Asuka, Flower, etc. titles. There is an abundance of pink books in the manga section. I think this trend is starting to also catch on in the States. According to an article I read in the paper the ratio of fiction readers in the States does tend to lean towards women.

Delta, your observation of the younger generation does reflect the ANN poll, since the under 14 bracket had 123 females to 43 males. From what I have observed the tweens do seem to be at least 2:! female. There were more under 14 year old girls here than all the males over 35.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
namelissis



Joined: 04 Feb 2007
Posts: 219
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:37 am Reply with quote
First what fans are we speaking? Devoted anime fans or people who claim there an anime fan because they only have expertise in a single anime?

Devoted anime fans:
To be honest, I am not sure who really has higher edge, the boys or the girls...
So, I'll just base it here... here, it seems that ANN male forum members are higher than girls... (i dunno because you seem to post alot)...

and in our school, boys are much dedicated anime fans... Though it hurts, cause i'm a girl, sometimes boys are much knowledgable in anime stuffs than girls...

The other case:
there are many girls are watching anime because of these sometimes absurd yet true reason, "OMG, syaoran is so cute, from now on I'll watch Tsubasa" then after the series, they'll say "define anime!"

for boys, here's there line, "Dude, have you seen Bleach, it's f****** hardcore", it's like only Bleach is the only anime tht existed for them...

Hope I didn't hurt anybody to what I said, I just saying what I've observed in my surroundings!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
bonbonsrus



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 1284
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote
Thanks for linking that Deltakiral...
I was shocked to see how small a percentage I fall into. Confused
Although, perhaps I shouldn't be, in life, I know nobody that watches anime but me...they all think "I'm cute" since I watch little kiddie shows. Rolling Eyes That's fine they think that. I did manage to meet one other person who lives very near me from another message board (what are the odds in a small board?) but she is in highschool, not my age.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 5463
Location: 露命
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Thanks for linking that Deltakiral...
I was shocked to see how small a percentage I fall into. Confused

Not as small as my percentage.

- abunai
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 1284
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
bonbonsrus wrote:
Thanks for linking that Deltakiral...
I was shocked to see how small a percentage I fall into. Confused

Not as small as my percentage.

- abunai

Assuming you are male, which I do assume that, you are over 65? In that case, yes, you do fall into a smaller percent than I. But not by too big a percent.
I am shocked to see more females over 65 then females 50-64 however. Doesn't that strike anyone else as odd?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt



Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 647
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote
The poll number totals are 57.3% male and 42.7% female. I thought it would be a larger diiference based on the anime club meeting I attended last month which was 80% male.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
abunai
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 5463
Location: 露命
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
abunai wrote:
bonbonsrus wrote:
Thanks for linking that Deltakiral...
I was shocked to see how small a percentage I fall into. Confused

Not as small as my percentage.

- abunai

Assuming you are male, which I do assume that, you are over 65? In that case, yes, you do fall into a smaller percent than I. But not by too big a percent.
I am shocked to see more females over 65 then females 50-64 however. Doesn't that strike anyone else as odd?

No, I'm 41 -- 42 in a couple of weeks. I'd assumed you were in the 25-34 segment.

- abunai
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 1284
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
Well than, while we do fall into the same age bracket and you are only 5 years older than I, I am the smaller percentage. You are at 17 pollers, and I am at 5. Happy almost birthday!

Edited for my stupidity it %.
1.4% for abunai, .4% is mine.


Last edited by bonbonsrus on Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 2792
Location: Indiana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Well than, while we do fall into the same age bracket and you are only 5 years older than I, I am the smaller percentage. You are at 17% of pollers, and I am at 5%. Happy almost birthday!


Actually, he's part of 1.4% of those who responded (I swear, I don't think I ever saw this poll). There were 17 people who selected that option. Same switch for yours--easy slip-up to make when you're glancing at that quickly. My eyes immediately went to the bigger number when I got towards the bottom of the list as well.

My sex-age combination isn't much better represented in the poll either (2.8%). I always found it interesting that even though I know men (particularly at the time I started watching anime) make up a larger portion of the anime viewing public, I've had difficulty finding any that like it. Instead, female fans seem to just come out of the woodwork at me. Not that I find all that many anime fans, but when I do, it's out of the blue and thus far I think they've been exclusively female. This isn't counting people I've met specifically at an anime club or something online, of course, but rather in daily interaction where I actually come to know the person.


Last edited by Mylene on Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hentai4me



Joined: 25 Oct 2005
Posts: 1313
Location: England. Robin is so Cute!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
Interesting, the onjly shop where I live that has a decently supported anime section is...a D&D and CCG game store...in there is an exactly 1:1 ratio of male to female of anime fans that I actually know by name.

I know 4 men and 4 women who frequent the place simply as an anime/manga store, including myself, but as the clientèle of the place is largely male those who tend to wander through the section and glance through it are largely male. Those who simply use it as an anime/manga shop are, like me, in their 20's.

The guys tend to prefer the anime while the gals tend to prefer manga, but there is little difference in their buying habits regardless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group