• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aya Hirano Confirms She Is Leaving Agency for Another

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quote
Besides that, people like Bieber and Gomez are teenagers whose primary (maybe even sole) audience is other teenagers, so there's generally a different level of restrictions placed upon them by default. It seems exceedingly strange to expect a 24-year-old woman to have to hold to those same standards of conduct.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:10 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
probably due to her getting caught sleeping with 3 out of 4 of her bandmates....

I obviously missed a much more awesome story than the one written in the news post this thread links to.

Last edited by LUNI_TUNZ on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:32 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I hope she comes to the States. I want to get some of that Aya...
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The latest issue of Japanese magazine, Bubka (known for publishing accurate scandals), has published pictures of Aya Hirano in bed which looks like a 'post-sex' photo. Sources suggest that the reason behind why she was sacked by her label was due to her scandalous affairs with her band mates, following reports from Jpop Asia website. Many are sure that the guy in the picture with her is none other than, Katsundo, a 35-year-old guitarist in Aya's band. Further revelations by insiders within her agency include, Aya being very "feisty" with her band mates and that she had slept with almost all of her band mates except for the bassist. As a result she was reported and the three who slept with her got fired. Aya Hirano, 24-years-old, is a Japanese voice actress and J-pop singer who has had roles in several anime, visual novels, and TV commercials in Japan.

This is from Yahoo! News.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:20 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
probably due to her getting caught sleeping with 3 out of 4 of her bandmates....

That'd suck to be the fourth bandmember... the one that didn't get to sleep with her. I'd be, like, "What's up, Aya? What do I need to do to get some quality time with you?" Razz

Supposedly he turned her down. Probably knew he'd be fired as well.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:33 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

EDIT: I mean, not to wax political or anything, but we had a President nearly impeached due to morality issues.

I though Clinton was nearly impeached for lying under oath? Unless I was mistake.

Quote:
personal life shouldn't be other people's problem.

I've always found it odd that people are so uptight about what one does in their personal life. I would be completely ignorant if I did not look at this from the business perspective and how it could effect a company. I look at it from this perspective, if it does not effect how they do their job it should not matter. Sadly I know not everyone feels this way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banjo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

That'd suck to be the fourth bandmember... the one that didn't get to sleep with her. I'd be, like, "What's up, Aya? What do I need to do to get some quality time with you?" Razz

Supposedly he turned her down. Probably knew he'd be fired as well.

it was the hardest decision of his life.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
Uhh they're hired to be entertainers not beacons of innocence.

(Sigh) You have zero knowledge of idols in the entertainment industry of Japan. End of discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
chrisb wrote:

(Sigh) You have zero knowledge of idols in the entertainment industry of Japan. End of discussion.

While it might be true, doesn't mean it isn't drastically unfair to force the idols into a life that punishes healthy sexuality. I get that it's a cultural difference, and it's in the package for when they sign up for fame, still doesn't man I can't complain about how disgusting it is.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
dormcat wrote:
chrisb wrote:

While it might be true, doesn't mean it isn't drastically unfair to force the idols into a life that punishes healthy sexuality. I get that it's a cultural difference, and it's in the package for when they sign up for fame, still doesn't man I can't complain about how disgusting it is.

It's a job. Jobs have requirements. Odds are Hirano signed a quite lengthy contract stating what moral guidelines she would adhere to. This isn't some anti-feminism thing. She could have all the sex she wants, it just means that she most likely won't be an idol anymore. Amazingly, sometimes in life, even if you have freedom, you can't pick the consequences.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
dormcat wrote:
chrisb wrote:

It's a job. Jobs have requirements. Odds are Hirano signed a quite lengthy contract stating what moral guidelines she would adhere to. This isn't some anti-feminism thing. She could have all the sex she wants, it just means that she most likely won't be an idol anymore. Amazingly, sometimes in life, even if you have freedom, you can't pick the consequences.

I get that, I'm more annoyed that simply having sex at all is covered under the moral guideline. I'm curious about the contracts of the male idols and if have the same standards to adhere to. I doubt it.
And yeah, this kinda is feminism thing, because while the job of being a female idol apparently requires chastity, and that's something you have to put up with. It is sexist to have it be that way at all. Why should it be a job requirement when you're an entertainer to not have sex? They aren't connected, and it's frustrating that it's against their morale guidelines discriminate having a sexual life. And from what I've seen it seems limited to the female idols.
And I get that it's a different culture, and that the Idols are more of these personalties, and I know it's not going to change soon, but I'm still going to complain, because it is still sexist.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
They are connected. If the otaku know that so-and-so is 'soiled' then they are no longer going to to support her. Therefore, it is of upmost importance that (at least publicly) an idol be chaste. That is the connection. It is not some arbitrary rule by the agency. They know exactly how fans will react. And of course the idol industry is sexist. FFS, they're idols. They're sex-symbols. And yes, it's the same for Johnny's (male idols). It could be even worse. There was a guy from Hey! Say! JUMP that got suspended indefinitely simply because he was smoking.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
They are connected. If the otaku know that so-and-so is 'soiled' then they are no longer going to to support her. Therefore, it is of upmost importance that (at least publicly) an idol be chaste. That is the connection. It is not some arbitrary rule by the agency. They know exactly how fans will react. And of course the idol industry is sexist. FFS, they're idols. They're sex-symbols. And yes, it's the same for Johnny's (male idols). It could be even worse. There was a guy from Hey! Say! JUMP that got suspended indefinitely simply because he was smoking.

Then (as I suspected), my problem is with the Japanese culture that promotes this attitude. The fact that there are people who value others based on their virginity or "purity" in a first world country is nothing short of disgusting. It's horribly misogynistic and just another aspect to how deeply sexist a lot of Japanese culture is.
And I'm aware this is sort of like yelling at a waterfall to stop flowing, but it doesn't change the fact it is still wrong, or that the Otaku audience are freaking creepy.
I'm rolling my eyes at the guy getting fired for smoking, but you could at least make an argument about him being a role model and that smoking is dangerous to your health. Not having a sex life because your fans are freaking insane is a less easy argument to make.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote

Aya Hirano with a signed Fairy Tail DVD. Photo chance is very limited; she's signing now and all media cannot take her photo at this moment.

A Lucy cosplayer is in the line waiting for the autograph and might give us a chance to persuade her agency to give us a photo chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
chrisb wrote:

No I don't know very much when it comes to the Japanese entertainment world. I admit that. I still think it's unfair to be hired for a job and then have "oh and you can't be normal" added on after.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3