Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Doctors and Lawyers




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
I actually bought the Phoenix Wright manga and to my surprise it actually isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's actually pretty good and Carlos again hit the nail on the head with the rating.

Just goes to show you, even if you've been reading manga for a while like I have, judging a series on the cover isn't always correct and sometimes you might be slightly off base.

The first volume is full of humor, a pretty interesting plot and a strong start to a series that could have just started with all action right away.

The translation was pretty good as well, although Del Ray for the most part does do a good job with that, so that really is no surprise though.

I've played some of the Phoenix Wright games and they are pretty good as well, more or less contain similar characters to the video games.

If your a fan of the video game series you'll probably like this more as you will likely know the characters better and already are pretty familiar with the series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 12725

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quote
Yeah, unfortunately, this would have to be the weakest Black Jack I've read thus far. Not a horrible book, but average. I didn't know this Phoenix Wright actually focuses on the cases, though. I figured it'd be fanfic-ey, like that last release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Gasero



Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 368
Location: MI, USA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quote
I didn't know Code Geass was producing stuff like that. Really milking it there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
st_owly
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!


Joined: 20 May 2008
Posts: 3707
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I didn't know Code Geass was producing stuff like that. Really milking it there.


The phrase "flogging a dead horse" springs to mind...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nightjuan



Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 1419

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote
Not that it makes a huge difference, but that Code Geass manga was originally published way back in mid-2008, while the actual show was still airing.

Like I've said before though, "milking" isn't really a problem as long as you're releasing something that people actually want to read or watch. That goes for both this property and even Gundam, for that matter. Some of the other spin-offs are worth checking out but, unfortunately, this definitely isn't the case here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doctordoom85



Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 1653

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
It's quite sad that this will be the last Gintama volume. It's the funniest manga I've ever read and I really have come to love the cast over the years. Sure, the anime is still being put up on Crunchyroll, but I greatly prefer owning series I love, so hopefully Sentai will release more DVDs in the future. I hold no ill will towards Viz though, I highly doubt this series was making a profit for them so I'm grateful they managed to make it this far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ss-hikaru



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 267
Location: Western Australia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I actually bought the Phoenix Wright manga and to my surprise it actually isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's actually pretty good and Carlos again hit the nail on the head with the rating.

Just goes to show you, even if you've been reading manga for a while like I have, judging a series on the cover isn't always correct and sometimes you might be slightly off base.

The first volume is full of humor, a pretty interesting plot and a strong start to a series that could have just started with all action right away.

The translation was pretty good as well, although Del Ray for the most part does do a good job with that, so that really is no surprise though.

I've played some of the Phoenix Wright games and they are pretty good as well, more or less contain similar characters to the video games.

If your a fan of the video game series you'll probably like this more as you will likely know the characters better and already are pretty familiar with the series.


Oh! I was going to say how my excitement for the Phoenix Wright manga kinda deflated after reading that review, but you've made me interested again! Haha thank you!

doctordoom85 wrote:
hopefully Sentai will release more DVDs in the future


Me too. Me too. I've bought all four sets but it makes me depressed when I realise it's only about 1/4 of the entire (original) series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 2128

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
It's quite sad that this will be the last Gintama volume. It's the funniest manga I've ever read and I really have come to love the cast over the years. Sure, the anime is still being put up on Crunchyroll, but I greatly prefer owning series I love, so hopefully Sentai will release more DVDs in the future. I hold no ill will towards Viz though, I highly doubt this series was making a profit for them so I'm grateful they managed to make it this far.


I have to agree, it is sad. Truthfully, I'm quite behind on the series (last volume was 13) but I have intended to catch up. Guess this means I need to watch the anime after whatever chapter this last volume ends on. It truly sucks when a company has to drop something, but it's as you said. It's always about money first. Business is about taking risks after all, and if things don't turn a profit after a while, you don't want to invest in it further.

I would put Code Geass: Tales of an Alternate Shogunate under the same category as the Cowboys and Aliens movie: DE or disposable entertainment. You might read it for some laughs and to generally get an idea of what they did with it, but after you finish the last page, you won't be expecting more from it (not a sequel heaven forbid!) and probably may not read it again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sea Lion



Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 307

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Dan Doh!! doesn't sound so bad to me, but if you describe golf as an old man's game, you've obviously never played it. I guarantee you it is the most frustrating yet strangely compelling sport you will ever try. Need proof? Tiger Woods is almost universally acknowledged as the best golfer to ever strike a golf ball, and yet he can't buy a top 20 finish at the moment. Since 2009, 10 of the last 12 major championship winners have been first-timers, and most of them you've never heard of and likely never will hear of again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group