• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blue Dragon to be Toriyama's Final Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
normally with legendary people...the last piece of their collection is usually the best they have to offer!
Hiraleth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
normally with legendary people...the last piece of their collection is usually the best they have to offer!

Then we should all hope InuYasha isn't Takahashi last manga. Razz

Just kidding. Although, InuYasha isn't the greatest, either. I like it, but it gets so repetitive (I actually didn't mind the repetitiveness until Naraku was introduced. It was a nice, fresh show with lots to offer. Then, like with almost all Shonen action anime, it was plagued by some uber-villian that is so powerful yet for some reason never kills the heroes. I mean, at least with DBZ there was always a new villian and progression past old ones. I mean COME ON, just kill Naraku already. But I guess there's some super-boring parts to anime. *coughbleachsoulsocietydraggedonwaytoolongforitsowngoodcough* Now InuYasha episodes (well, the episodes till it ended) are all the same. Look for Naraku. Find Naraku. Three episode arc with Naraku. Main characters get pwned, learn something about Naraku. Crappy fillers. Repeat, until show has lost all viewers. I like it, but the first season was the best, hands down. I wish they would kill Naraku and focus on finding the jewel shards again. Not that that will ever happen in a million years.)

And about Takahashi's character designs, I love then. It's just her style of drawing. I can tell all her characters apart. I love the style from the 80s-90s (Ranma, DBZ, YuYu Hakusho). Ah, classics.

And about Blue Dragon, it sounds awesome, and I can't wait, but I'm sad that this is Takahashi's last work. I hope it's worth it. But, in my heart, nothing will beat DBZ (one of the reasons I started liking anime)!

Last edited by Hiraleth on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Hiraleth wrote:

Then we should all hope InuYasha isn't Takahashi last manga. Razz -etc

Please don't hold the anime against RT or refer to it as her story. By your description that's obviously what you're talking about what with the fillers and everything. I do think the manga is not as good lately, but at no point has it ever been the monster of the week, redundant humor filled, angstfest, series the anime is. As for no main villain, I also disagree with this. Most big long action shounen, if they do have a big villain, do not focus on that as the quest. They're just kind of there every once in a while (see Orochimaru) and aren't even really a major character. IY is not less inventive for doing that. Quest by quest, with new villains each time would have instead made it generic shounen standard like Bleach and Naruto. Naraku gives coherency to the story, and keeps the characters and their plights up front, instead of starting anew like some kind of action sitcom every few volumes. I agree that the series is too long, but imho without Naraku it would have just been another Bleach or Naruto, just with better characterization and writing.

As for Hiromu Arakawa (who lists Rumiko as one of her prime influences btw), I adore her but I think Fiction Alchemist is incorrect about her always keeping things fresh. Almost no mangaka do that. Check out her short stories, she most certainly reuses faces and character designs. And there is repetitive use of designs amongst very minor characters. Honestly, Kagome's friends appear like four or five brief times in the manga and don't even have names or much of any personality. I agree that they look alike, but I don't agree that they look like Kagome herself. That would be like faulting a creator for some character with like five lines in a twenty-six episode anime for looking like some other character with five lines.

I'm glad people are appreciating Toriyama though. He and RT should hook up and write the most horribly redundant manga ever with the most carbon copy character designs out there. I'd read it.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Afax wrote:
Yeah this article is definitely confusing me a bit. Toriyama is not the director of Blue Dragon and I don't believe he's ever directed an anime before...

Doh, you're right. The line "...I'm a little worried (about it). There's incredible pressure when directing, but at the same time, there's a sense of accomplishment -- that it's worth doing." is wrong.. specifically, he doesn't mention directing. It's a mistake I left in while researching Blue Dragon.

Sorry about that; I've removed it from the article. He was certainly approached by Studio Pierrot, however. (Also, note that I goofed and left the T off of Pierot in the article. That's also been corrected.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Akira Toriyama has always been a personal favorite of mine. I owe my anime fandom to him because of Dragonball Z. I'll definitely be watching Blue Dragon to see him can go out with a bang, and I can't say I haven't supported him enough over the years..... *cough* over 50 DBZ VHS + DVDs, not to mention the bajillion action figures I bought *cough*

Nonetheless, it's sad to see this as his final project. I look forward to seeing him put everything he has into the production of Blue Dragon.

All this talk about Toriyama makes me want to go pop a few of my favorite DBZ episodes into my VCR...
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:

and if he stops doing Dragon Quest, the franchise will never be the same again,the only artist that comes close to his artwork is the character designer to Beet the vandel Buster

but still it will never be the same again.

Lies! I'd say Eichiro Oda would be the best to succeed Toriyama especially considering the mutual respect they have with one another.

Still you're right about that last part.
Canuckian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Well speaking of Eichiro Oda according to Wikipedia(Grain of salt so ya) he and Toriyama started on a crossover manga in December if Wiki ain't wrong. However I'm not sure if it's a one shot or to become a regular.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Toriyama's last anime? Well he goes off in a big bang since he did helped out Square and Enix in games such as Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest/Warrior, etc. Maybe that he wants to finish it before SquareEnix makes him a preferment art director! Shocked Ha ha, well, he had a great run and still continues to do so. Congrates Toriyama for the *great art and dragged on battles! Very Happy

*It is happy non-criticized sarcasm.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
This entire issue becomes a lot clearer if you actually read the Japanese articular (the translator doesn't seem to have bothered.)
It isn't an interview with Toriyama, but with Yukihiro Matsushita, who directed the anime. The line about Toriyama's last anime is the only bit that Toriyama actually said, and everything else is the director talking.

The Toriyama/Oda collaboration was a 20 page one shot, and it took something like three years to plan and finish.
subaru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I thought Toriyama only did the character design for Blur Dragon.......
I didn't know he is that involved in this project.
he didn't even draw the manga version of Blue Dragon.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I hope for Toriyama's sake that the anime doesn't in any way, shape, or form resemble the steaming piece of crap that is the manga. I read four chapters, and then I literally couldn't take any more and deleted the rest of the chapters from my hard drive. "Epic" and "Ecchi" just don't go together. At all.

But, I will keep a fresh mind out for the anime, since the premises are actually pretty good.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's his last involvement in anime, but certaintly far from his last manga or video game designs.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
If this is indeed the last final anime by Toriyama then it's definitely been quite a career, his designs on Chrono Trigger are probably the most important artwork to me. I guess it prepared me for the anime explosion that happened in the early 2000s.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Thats very true guys, Oda Eiichiro the creator of Onepiece was infact inspired by DBZ, infact, he drew a picture of Goku in Onepiece-style

and infact, Luffy borrows lots of influence from Goku,his short temper at times, the way he eats,his goofy laugh,his huge cartoony eyes and mouth,and he has black hair.

and Nami does kind of borrow quite alot of influence from Bulma

speaking of crossovers, there was this one crossover special in the 1997 remake of Dr Slump where Goku has another cameo with Arale Norimaki,Goku's first cameo crossover in the Dr Slump Universe was that one episode in the Red Ribbon Army Saga where Goku accidently lands in Penguine Villiage while he was chasing General Blue.
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
I've never been a fan of Toriyama's art style, and the crushingly slow moving storyline of DBZ wasn't of much appeal to me either, so I don't think I'll be jumping on the Blue Dragon bandwagon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3