• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga series that you dropped?

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
^I also think Flowers of Evil is trying just a bit too hard to be controversial. I rather blind bought the first two volumes because it's Vertical, but I've no plans to buy any more. I'm going to need to rent titles trying to be edgy in the future before putting money down.

I read two chapters of Nadesico's manga. I normally at least finish a single manga, but no, not this time. I blind bought the anime set and it ended up being awesome! (I still need to watch the OVA, I'm thinking I'm going to skip the movie), but it's painfully obvious the anime came first here as the manga is basically just linking major events to each other and completely forgetting to do things like give it a heart and soul and characters with personality. After having enjoyed the anime, it's just painful, and I don't even care if they didn't follow events exactly, it's the lack of feeling that really bothers me. I got the first two volumes on a trade, so it's not like I paid for them, but I'm very glad I didn't go ahead and order vols 3 and 4. Now, it's hard to have an anime to manga translation worse than Princess Tutu's, but this sure gave it the old college try.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Now, it's hard to have an anime to manga translation worse than Princess Tutu's, but this sure gave it the old college try.

Well, it seems that most times, if a manga comes after an anime, it totally sucks....with a couple exceptions; Galaxy Angel being the most noteworthy.

I actually hate GA's anime and love the manga...even though the anime did come first....
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
The anime was based on a game that it ended up having little in common with - are you sure the manga wasn't simply being faithful to the later?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
The anime was based on a game that it ended up having little in common with - are you sure the manga wasn't simply being faithful to the later?

I believe the manga was being faithful to the game, yes. But why didn't they make the anime like that? o_o
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Polycell wrote:

I believe the manga was being faithful to the game, yes. But why didn't they make the anime like that? o_o

It is said that the anime directors and the chief scriptwriter thought, 'In the '10 minutes × 26 episodes' format, it is difficult to make an anime in accordance with the original Project G.A.. So we will make an anime where the protagonists' personalities will be to the fore, even if the anime is off the course from the original Project G.A's story and setting.' It is also said that the delay of the development of the G.A. game influenced how the anime version was made.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14