• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
For those who know: is this Gainax's second mecha anime? At that, would an accurate description of this show be, "FLCL meets GaoGaiGar?"

With emphasis on the gar. Very Happy
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
For those who know: is this Gainax's second mecha anime? At that, would an accurate description of this show be, "FLCL meets GaoGaiGar?"

With emphasis on the gar. Very Happy

lol no kidding.

I really like what they did with the prologue, and as you start to realize the nature of the Gurren Lagaan, you're just like "Wow, I can't wait to see how it gets to be like that..."

Also, Simon is pretty badass in the future. Perhaps Gainax is testing the waters to see how much of this series fans are willing to watch? I can definitely see it being a multi-season thing.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
FanFicGuru wrote:

I really like what they did with the prologue, and as you start to realize the nature of the Gurren Lagaan, you're just like "Wow, I can't wait to see how it gets to be like that..."

That opening left a huge impression on me. At first, I was thinking, "wait, is this some sort of ancient battle, and the Gurren-Lagann is a weapon that fell to Simon's planet and was buried over time"? Then we find out Kamina's posse is the "Gurren Brigade" and he christens the little mini-Gunman "Lagann", but I still didn't get it until something like the end of the episode.

It was really obvious in episode II, what with the "spin on!" and "who do you think I am?!" lines, but I was really proud of myself to figure out what was going on in episode one.

Now GL is the only show on my mind right now - Claymore and Hayate have been kicked out by this injection of awesome. Cool

Three hours and counting until episode four!
ikky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote
Just watched the fourth episode. Seeing the art style change so suddenly was surprising, but it pretty much suited the mood of the episode. Sort of like in FLCL, except the style changed for the whole episode, I guess.

There were some really funny scenes, like spoiler[when Simon and Kamina eat Boota's behind Shocked]. And of course, the sparkly rainbow background during the "union" Very Happy

Osamu Kobayashi, the director of Paradise Kiss and BECK did the art direction. Doesn't look like he'll return in the next episode, but I hope he gets to direct another one.

Gurren-Lagann is definitely my favourite series of the season Razz On of the most fun series I have seen in a while, actually. Unlike nearly all anime I've seen, I actually want to watch episodes over again.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:28 am Reply with quote
What was up with episode 4? It got real ugly, real fast.
ikky

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
What was up with episode 4? It got real ugly, real fast.

Different (guest) art/animation director. Apparently his only work on the series will be ep 4. The art style is back to normal in ep 5.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Hmmm just watched it now, seems interesting. This really reminds me of Power Rangers with the whole mech-combination thing. On to episode 2~! !('o')! Also the goggles are kinda nostalgic :3
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote
So now we're up to Episode 8...

let the manly tears flow freely.

spoiler[Goodbye Kamina. You're going to be our next Gar legend.]
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I've really liked the series so far and how they come up with moves out of nowhere.
spoiler[ i really like the giga drill breaker, that was crazy lol]
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
holy freaking crap this show has gotten awesome! i mean the show has just been okay thus far, but after 7 and 8 i am just stunned... THIS is what Gainax is all about. these two episodes alone could have been an OAV by themselves. the action scenes were nothing short of amazing, and the storyline has really stepped up. i still can't believe spoiler[they killed off Kamina so soon Sad ... but at least he had a cool death.]

BRAVO GAINAX!
Forlorn Hope

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
spoilers for episode 8:
spoiler[Holy shi-! Shocked Words cannot even begin to describe how totally and utterly awesome this episode was. Prior to this, I had ranked Gurren Lagann number 4 on my list of spring '07 Anime (Seirei no Moribito, Darker than BLACK, and Denno Coil being the ones above it) but now, I'm not so sure I'd put it there. I mean, the quality had been all over the map (Ep 4 & 6 come to mind). But wow, just wow. This is the kind of epic awesomeness you expect from episode 26 not 8. *sniff* Poor Kamina though. I actually liked him despite his 'manly man' personality. *cries manly ..er.. womanly tears* Sad ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I dislike the macho rubbish but the animation is amazing, I couldn't get past the moment when he says "ugly", as if he couldn't have said "who cares what other people think" and left it at that. The animation is amazing, I do think the plot looks interesting.
Vics3020

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I think chapter eigth was awesome but i don´t think that kamina is dying yet there has to be some kind of revival, I mean if you remember he was in the top of that ship kind of thing giving orders I mean he`s got to be alive if not the thing in the wouldn't make any sense Very Happy
Rainulf

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Vics3020 wrote:
I think chapter eigth was awesome but i don´t think that kamina is dying yet there has to be some kind of revival, I mean if you remember he was in the top of that ship kind of thing giving orders I mean he`s got to be alive if not the thing in the wouldn't make any sense Very Happy

Hmm, yeah, it would be a good thing if Kamina gets revive, but I highly doubt that because Kamina isn't the protagonist of the show. And even if he did, his death is pointless. This show is about Simon (well, i think he is, he's in the middle.. Razz ), and Kamina's death going to be Simon's character development and loss of innocent.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Vics3020 wrote:
I think chapter eigth was awesome but i don´t think that spoiler[kamina is dying yet there has to be some kind of revival], I mean if you remember he was in the top of that ship kind of thing giving orders I mean he`s got to be alive if not the thing in the wouldn't make any sense Very Happy

9 has an entirely new intro, so i'm gonna say no.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 19