• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Darker Than Black (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I am on 20 so far, very good so far I just don't up date alot on how I think it is doing. Really though I am liking it alot especally the arc where they fight with spoiler[Amber's organization]. The garbage dump of sorrows arc slowed it down a bit but it sped a bit back up after the last two episodes.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
I think Misaki needs more screentime. If only spoiler[her potentially developing a crush on "Li"] didn't remind me so much of Coyote Ragtime Show. Loved the shopping scene in episode 18 though. Subtle, Misaki.
solot58

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
im really interested on how they are going to tie up Li's and everyone elses past to the present and how amber's organization is goin to try and accomplish whatever goal it is they are pursuing...too much needs to be resolved and i dont see how they can do it in 5 more eps.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little behind, but I finished 19 and 20. This mini-arc was really poetic. spoiler[ Alma having this desire to liberate the Contractors from their "fate" of being constant killing machines and such. The drama and raw emotion between Huang and Shioko, the narrative of what it means to exist as a human, through memories, etc.]

All of this felt really, really well executed and is probably my favorite part of the series thus far. I recently started watching these in .mkv format, and I'm not sure whether it's me or not, but the video quality is extremely crisp. I can even see some of the tiniest lines moving/shaking around. It's amazing.

And Hidenobu Kiuchi. He's easily becoming one of my favorite seiyuu. I just love the sound of his voice; very suave, yet has this sense of melancholy and sternness to it. But it's not really evil or anti-hero sounding either. His performances as Dr. Tenma (from Monster) and Toshihiko Momota (from Kemonozume) were outstanding, and it really carries over to, yet another, terrific character and portrayal. Hope FUNi includes some interviews of him on the DVDs.

I also hope somebody licenses the soundtracks, too. Not a single note or pitch of the music is wasted in this one (duh~ Yoko Kanno, here).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I think Misaki needs more screentime. If only spoiler[her potentially developing a crush on "Li"] didn't remind me so much of Coyote Ragtime Show. Loved the shopping scene in episode 18 though. Subtle, Misaki.

Yeah, she's got it bad I think. Laughing

I've been really enjoying this series as well lately. after deciding last week or so that since I was already more than half way through I might as well finish it since it was so good. Curiousity got the better of me. Confused
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
With episode 24 everything seems to be coming to a culminating point with all the spoiler[ deaths of characters...poor old guy and poor Mao (did he die?)] It is looking like the ending will be quite satisfying...and I have to say I like the quote they mentioned in the preview of the next episode which really defined the show "The light within the heart that stops shining, is like that of the light of hell which is darker than black" or something like that.
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved this series and can't wait to see how it ends. I thought the development between spoiler[Misaki and Hei] would have been further along by now, but no dice. Ah well. It was nice to see spoiler[Yin hug the old guy and for some reason his name completely escapes me at the moment. but I smiled when that happened.] Really though something about this series captivated me and I've thoroughly enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
The old guy you refer to is Huang I believe.
Skylark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I just couldn't remember it at the time >.> you all knew who I meant anyway Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ApocN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
just watched ep 25. it kinda looks like its the last one for the series too. awesome series, pretty good ending, guess u can't ask for much more...but still. would like to of had more episodes Razz

Hei's renumeration spoiler[...well he doesn't have one. he's not a contractor. his sister was a contracter and she had one (sleeping)...Hei' got her powers when she died (not sure how...). in ep 25 they point out that Hei is 1/2 human and 1/2 contractor.]
Clodus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
ill watch 24 and 25 tonite. it was an entertaining series and i anticipate the release of v1.

also i hear there is an episode 26 however it is only on the dvd.
Zero89

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Was I the only one a little confused by that ending? It just wasn't fluent. And that whole situation with Hei seemed like it came a little out of nowhere, at the very least it wasn't set up very well...
Dirtch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:
Was I the only one a little confused by that ending? It just wasn't fluent. And that whole situation with Hei seemed like it came a little out of nowhere, at the very least it wasn't set up very well...

I agree that the pacing could've been handled a little better over all. I'm still not totally sure how exactly contractors get their powers, and why they're called contractors.

I mean, are they born like that? But they're "Contractors", and they've mentioned "signing contracts". Is that in the literal sense, or some sort of subconscious thing for the contractor? Are they like Marvel's "Mutants", where they're born with these abilities and these abilities manifest at varying times in their lives? Or do they just think, "I am a contractor, thus I have powers and thus I must pay a renumeration"? Or do they go up to the syndicate or other groups and say, "Sign me up!" ? Confusion!

In regards to spoiler[Mao, I believe the cat itself is still alive and well, but that Mao--whose consciousness was inhabiting the cat--was somehow killed. I remember them mentioning that if he was disconnected from some server or network within the Syndicate he would 'lose his humanity', or some such. My guess is that he was cut off and that the cat personality simply overwrote his own.]

In regards to Heaven's Gate and Hell's Gate, the disappearance of Heaven's Gate and Bai and all that jazz...I'm still a little bit confused so if someone is willing to explain it to me here or via PM that'd be grand Razz lol
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:12 am Reply with quote
So this show is done now? I'll try to continue where I left off and finish it. I thought it was an okay series overal. But from what I'm reading it does sound like it finished strong.
solot58

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
yea i second the notion to clear up what really happened... they could've up cut out some other pointless episodes to make room for this arc
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11