• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Darker Than Black (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I mean, are they born like that? But they're "Contractors", and they've mentioned "signing contracts". Is that in the literal sense, or some sort of subconscious thing for the contractor? Are they like Marvel's "Mutants", where they're born with these abilities and these abilities manifest at varying times in their lives? Or do they just think, "I am a contractor, thus I have powers and thus I must pay a renumeration"? Or do they go up to the syndicate or other groups and say, "Sign me up!" ? Confusion!

I don't think they're mutants, I think they're more like Wildstorm's "meteor people" or whatever they were called, that were a ton of people that randomly got powers during some meteor shower or something (and account for most of the superheroes in that world). I think their powers just appeared, and that there was no official contract or anything, just that they feel an OCD compulsion when they use their abilities. I think the "contract" is sort of a verse play on the situation, that since they feel an obligation to "pay" for their gifts, they consider it akin to a "contract".

Quote:

In regards to Heaven's Gate and Hell's Gate, the disappearance of Heaven's Gate and Bai and all that jazz...I'm still a little bit confused so if someone is willing to explain it to me here or via PM that'd be grand Razz lol

I think you were right about Mao, although I admit I didn't quite get that at the moment.

As for the gates, from what I gather spoiler[they tried to do this thing they did to the Heaven's gate, using a similar ring system, but Pai and Amber stopped them by Pai causing the explosion they were so worried about. I'm not sure what the state of that radius on the map is, by some accounts it was just blown up (but that wouldn't stop people messing with it), I tend to think it's protected by some sort of reality distortion field so that nobody can go into it at all, whcih would prevent them setting up that sort of a ring thing again.

As for what the gates have to do with anything, they seem to form a line through the earth, so perhaps whatever gave people the powers uses them as poles or something, and shutting both down would seal off that energy. It really would have been nice if they'd given more backstory than they did, but maybe they're saving that for season 2.]
Dirtch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
*IS* there a season two?

And regards to the gates, or specifically the area beyond the gate/within that 'restricted zone', they just appeared around the same time people got their powers, right? So maybe the gates are the source of their powers/existence, and by neutralizing/blowing it up humans could get rid of Contractors? And what Pai and Amber did was to seal it off from 'this reality' so that humans can't destroy it??

Yeah, it really would be nice if they clarified these things and not just leave them to our assumptions/speculations Anime dazed
Zetsuei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Weren't the gates the places where the meteors fell which turned people into Contractors?
lukezskywalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
The ending was horrible. No cliffhanger, no loose-ends tied; as many members already suggested many things: gate, contractors, dolls, the stargazer weren't explained at all.

The story doesn't flow at all. The duo episodes story arcs are well done individually but they do not provide the overall direction needed for plot advancement. Only purpose many of these arcs serve are character development. This is fine except the one character that vierers are interesting finding more about - Hei - still remains as elusive and enigmatic as his alter ego at the very end and ultimately makes the supporting cast far more interesting than him.

To think the timeslot of Code Geass is replaced by this ...
shadowblast101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I know, I thought it would have replaced a better show...
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed DTB. Even though the premise of "suddenly granted superpowers" isn't anything new I thought it was presented in a unique way. The city was almost a character itself and the cop Misaki was great. The "tone" of the show was just different somehow than the rest of what's out there. I liked the setting and the mystery of the gate. I prefer to have to think about what's going on a little, without every little detail being crammed down the audience's throat. That being said, it felt a bit rushed, like a truely great story with a lot more detail was planned and just didn't make it into a 25 ep series. It should have been longer and taken more time to develop. They created an interesting world that I'd like to have seen more of.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am Reply with quote
I liked the series. It reminded me of Cowboy Bebop, and not just because of Yoko Kanno's music. The characters were as charismatic and interesting as the ones from Cowboy Bebop, especially Hei (lady killer Laughing), and they even take on odd jobs too.

I didn't hate the ending, it was just alright. I don't know about you, but I prefer endings that aren't cliffhangers.

And the story does flow. Sure it was episodic, but if you look at each episode carefully, you'll see that each episode is connected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Good series, first of all, since the last 3-6 episodes is what always makes me struggle for most decent anime that I watch. I didn't think it was awesome like Ghost in the Shell (similar genre, I'm putting it under...), but the last episode was quite nice.

I have only one qualm about the ending.

spoiler[It looks as if Hei had to make a decision out of 2 choices: let contractors live or cause the explosion and kill human beings. But he made a third choice: coexistence with contractors and human beings. Now the only problem I have with this is that the last 5 minutes, when Misaki is having her monologue (I hate those with a passion), she makes it seem as if Hei just made the decision to allow coexistence over killing ALL human beings. She even asks herself if human beings would've made the same choice of coexistence, over killing all contractors.

But obviously, that wasn't the case with Hell's Gate. The explosion radius showed that Japan and Korea would be blown off the face of the earth at most, so not ALL human beings would die. The choices Hei had was 1) kill off ALL contractors to save XX million human beings, 2) kill off XX million human beings to save all contractors, or 3) no changes made.

So unless I'm misunderstanding on an enormous scale, what kind of big-responsibility decision did Hei really make?]
young98

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
it's been a while since i've watched the series, and even then the ending was kind of confusing to me, but i guess i understand where you are coming from, i'd say that maybe it's the interpretation of the phrase "all human beings" which really could have meant "all of the humans in the concerned region of destruction"? i don't know really, but just a thought possibly
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:13 am Reply with quote
If you watch Code Geass you'd know that there are no human beings outside of Japan. Wink
young98

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:35 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
If you watch Code Geass you'd know that there are no human beings outside of Japan. Wink

i did watch Code Geass, and i have no idea what you mean, if you're being sarcastic or making a joke, it went over my head Question
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm halfway into season 1 on Netflix and the show is okay, but I keep waiting for the story to "start from the top".

DTB starts in medias res and seems to be staying there. Now I hear that it stays there through the entirety of seasons 1 and 2. I'm not asking for all the mysteries behind the gate and such to be laid bare, I just need a part where the story starts from the beginning and gives the setting an actual backbone. If there isn't one, then I really don't know if I'll continue the show.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
I honestly didn't know what to think about season two for a while. The whole spoiler[magical girl thing was a bit weird for me, because on the one hand, I love those shows, but it took a while to convince me that all the magical girl tropes weren't too out of place in the DTB universe.] In the end I think they pulled it off, if only just barely; but I was still glad when they returned to SOP with the OAVs.[/spoiler]
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I honestly didn't know what to think about season two for a while

By "Season 2" do you mean episodes 13-26 or do you mean the faux-sequel with the new red-headed sniper, booze-swilling Hei, and Russia for a setting? (ie the one that STILL isn't out in America)

I'm not sure which you're talking about, due to how you talk about the OVAs. I'd call season 2 the "sequel" show, not the 2nd half of the first show (13-26) as some might. The Japanese/American differing practices of "seasons" lead to ambiguity on the Internet imo.

My only real gripe with episodes 13-26 of the original series was the craptastic themesong which did not fit the show. Hei was not a hero, and he had a name. The original intro still fit the 2nd half of the show, and it made more sense than a crappy "metaphor" of Hei having to fight clones of himself.

Maybe Funimation's dub can save the second season, maybe. I hope, because it is the #1 Funi release I'm looking forward to.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Also, can anyone tell me the name of the song that plays during the next episode previews?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11