• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sola

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
While the ending was more or less what I had predicted and expected, I really liked and thought they did a great job on it. The second half of the episode was quite amusing. Poor Slow-chan...

Afax wrote:

I wonder what the 2 extra DVD episodes will be though. Probably side stories as I don't see how they'd have anything left for after the finale.

Maybe one will explain a bit about how Takeshi got that sword and why he was specifically targeting Matsuri.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
It was a good ending. The only thing is I was waiting for some event to trigger a good cry, but it never quite got there, although spoiler[Aono tearing up when Yorito final dissappeared] almost made it, but the episode was light-hearted enough that my eyes were wet only briefly.

Also, I agree with Takeshi's comment on Mayuko's taste in fashion. The dress was nicer.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
This is another series that does the little things right to make itself worthy of notice. Low production, nothing fancy in terms of quality, overall generic setting and story, but extremely well executed transitions and well developed character makes this series better than most high budget junk nowadays.

While it started slow, the earlier development paid off greatly. The second half really picked up, and it was intriguing to the end, with just enough twists to a generic story. The best part, in my opinion, is the ending, as it ended appropriately. This ending was not wishy-washy, or one of those "doesn't make any sense" types. The ending brought about the, albeit painful, resolution as it is an understandable decision made. The theme "Things must be returned to what they should be" is one not often well explored, as it usually drops into the background in series which try to promote other overly-done themes. It was extremely well carried out here.

The characters were also great for sola. Perhaps they were not truly original, but each character was very well developed, and the relationship between them was really well set up. Each one had a driving force behind them, and no one was in position to say if either sides approach to the main conflict was right or wrong. This was an issue past simple moral judgement, which made it so much more interesting. The sub-characters, especially Mana, was amazing as well. Not many sub characters can command such emtion as she did in episode 11, without having to play the love-interest card. The feeling for just an individual which one cares about can be just as powerful.

Other additional notes, certain tracks in the series was very fitting, and overall very soothing music. Pacing of the series was good, while earlier felt a bit slow, things proceeded at a perfect pace for the second half. Overall, this is a simple series that really should be praised. One of those small gems that too often gets overlooked.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Here it is! It's sola DVD-only episode 1 (or if you want to continue on, it could be episode 14)! And judging from overall plot, it seems to be taken place in the earlier episodes when Aono was still in the hospital. And yes, this episode has something that it was missing in the original broadcast. And that's......SWIMSUIT and also HOT SPRINGS. While the episode is definitely fanservice, it didn't really push the boundaries of being "too" sleezy. I don't think people will be too offended with this episode. Moment I found amusing were:

spoiler[- Mayuko kicking Takeshi's balls. Ouch! Shocked

- One of Mana's friends went all "Rena" (not psychotic killer crazy though) and starts molesting Koyori and later Mayuko for being too cute. She went as far as wanting to take them home!

- Yorito walking in on Aono's swimsuit posing session. Talk about awkward. Laughing ]

And to reemphasize the most important moment in this entire freakin' episode:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1743/soladvdbonus1ul2.jpg

Man, that totally sealed the deal with me! Cool

Supposedly there's another DVD-only episode coming soon. I wonder what that one is going to be about.
ElementSun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Hope there's one that explains the mystery of spoiler[the two red bean tomato cans at the end of episode 13] <4
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, Sleepy-chan (while not sounding a sleepy as I remember) continued to amuse me, the real star of this episode was Mayuko, who got most of the good scenes or was at least somehow involved.
zetsurin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I saw this anime a while ago and I have to say its pretty good. I love the sky, the music, and the characters. I thought it was very original but I keep thinking of these similarities after I finished watching School Days.

For instance Mana reminds me a lot of Sekai especially with her scene in Eps. 11 and you could say Matsuri is Kotonoha (who gained several hundred years life experience and lost some of her shyness) and Aono makes a good Setsuna (except she doesn't really help Mana) too. And Koyori is just too similar to Kotonoha's little sister as well its creepy.

But the thing that really smashed it into my head was in Eps. 3 or 4 after spoiler[Yorito saved Matsuri and brought her to his house. Matsuri had said in appreciation she would do anything for him and Yorito had responded "Anything?!" in disbelief and Matsuri reads his mind and says "Ecchi" in response. And when Matsuri elaborated to Yorito she would do anything to help out except "Ecchi Things" it never meant anything to me until after School Days when it seemed kind of foreboding. And plus you got the scene where Yorito tries to make up a ridiculous excuse after Mana discovers Matsuri by saying she's a time traveler and that brings back memories of Makoto's half-assed lies.]

I'm not saying I hate Yorito but the fact it makes a connection in some way is not so pleasant.

Oh and also spoiler[Matsuri's pretty good with a blade...]
jigoku_hime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote
The only thing that I like about this anime is the ending. That's all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6