• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How long have you been into anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I started watching anime in 95, and I have been watching ever since. Though from 95 to 98 was a slow period, with me only really watching anime movies..after 98 I watched Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Outlaw star, and Cowboy Bebop which got me into the fandom alot more then I was.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I have been watching anime since 1993, and while in Japan, always enjoyed watching shows such as Doraemon, Crayon Shinchan, Sazae-San, Chibi-Maruko Chan, and Kochikame. My addiction to anime started about four months after I came back here from Japan. I discovered ANN in June/July of 2005, which has fueled my love for anime anymore (and proud of it).
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I started actively watching anime since January of 2006, so it's been about a year and 3 months. Before then I've seen the usual mainstream shows on Toonami and Adult Swim, along with what used to be on FOX and Kids WB.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
A brief history of my anime fandom:

1997: I discovered Sailor Moon on USA. On one hand, DiC butchered it to hell, but on the other hand, it was my introduction to anime.

1999: I rediscovered Sailor Moon on Toonami, but also found Pokémon, Dragon Ball Z, and Gundam Wing.

2000-01: My cable provider (Comcast) had disabled access to Cartoon Network in my area for a few months, but I was still able to get my fix via Kids' WB. When Comcast gave us back CN, I'd discovered Tenchi Muyo and Ronin Warriors, albeit watching them sporadically.

2003: After a two-year hiatus from watching anime (I was more concentrated on watching pro wrestling, plus my schoolwork), I found [Adult Swim], and started watching Big O, Trigun, Kikaider, and Lupin the 3rd. Since then, my fandom really snowballed, and I've watched more and more shows (On and off [AS]). My list of anime I've watched is still growing. (Over 60 shows, movies, and OVAs so far.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
freezespell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
My earliest recollections of me being a fan of anime can be traced back to 1994 when watching Sailor Moon. I really liked the show but only watched it on a very rare basis. Then in 1997 a satellite dish was installed and I saw more Sailor Moon, the original Speed Racer, and some new show called Dragon Ball Z. (I did watch Speed Racer back in '93 but that version doesn't count because it was the American animated version.) I sort of got hooked to DBZ back then because it was the first "cartoon" that I had seen that had a continuous story throughout several episodes. There was a lot of inactivity in '98 and '99 because I was so into pro wrestling at that time (nWo 4 life), even though I may have watched a few of the Bubblegum Crisis episodes and some other movies on the Action channel. In 2000, I got back into DBZ during the whole Goku vs. Cell fight. I also bought a VHS of Pokemon: The First Movie and watched a little Digimon. It wasn't until the next year that the floodgates opened and two things contributed to that: the acquisition of the internet and a permanent fixation on DBZ. When Adult Swim launched, Yu Yu Hakusho became another anime that I was interested in, until it moved to Toonami. Next time: 2002-present.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think I've explained my story more than enough for people on here to know, but as far as a timeline?

Lets see..... Summer 1995 (3rd grade going into 4th): Saw Ronin Warriors for the first time, learned it was different than anything I'd ever seen, Ronin Warriors replaced by Dragon Ball, discovered the two were very similar.

Winter 1998 (7th grade): got cable TV for the first time, saw DBZ for the first time, discovered Pokemon, learned they were very similar to Ronin Warriors (and DB, naturally for DBZ), learned they were all called anime, or animation from Japan, loved these shows enough to really start getting into the genre.

Spring 2000 (8th grade): Saw Princess Mononoke for the first time, saw Gundam Wing for the first time, really started to see the true quality in anime. Also became a Gundam fan until about my Junior year in high school, then really stoped caring about it.

Spring 2001 (9th grade): Saw Outlaw Star for the first time, same as with GW and PM, but nothing truly groundbreaking for me.

Spring 2003 (Junior Year in High School): Yu Yu Hakusho and Ruroni Kenshin debut on Toonami, saw similarities to DBZ, learned what Shonen was and Shonen fandom replaced Gundam fandom (although you could say I was naturally a shonen fan long before I even knew what it was).

Summer 2003 (going into senior year): Discovered Adult Swim, discovered Trigun and Cowboy Beebop, found out about anime for older ages. Also ran into Naruto in the U.S. SJ monthly, began to relate to it and it's more dramatic elements and fell in love with it.

Spring 2004 (about to graduate): Ran into Bleach through SJ monthly, started reading manga volumes, became next favorite series along with Naruto.

Fall 2004 (freshmen year in collage): Discovered FMA, blew me away like none other before it, became my favorite anime.

Fall 2005 (start of sophomore year): introduced to fansubs and scanalations by two collage friends, caught up with Naruto and Bleach, became two favorite series over FMA, also discovered plenty other anime, knowledge of anime grew.

Winter 2006 (yeah, still collage): got into ANN forums, learned WAY more and grew WAY more then I ever have in anime knowledge.
bini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I grew up watching anime. I would've been at least 3 when I first started watching... that's 1991. I watched Doraemon, Astroboy and some other random ones that I dunno the names of. At the time, they were just cartoons in a language I could understand when I was little (I watched most of them as chinese dubbed versions). Then I got a bit older and realised that they were special cartoons called anime. I was enlightened and made even greater efforts to follow anime since then.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
Although this thread could be considered a form of discussion-less listing, I'll let it live for now. Anyway...

Though I saw various "cartoons" like Voltron, Speed Racer, and probably Robotech in the late 80s/early 90s, I didn't see anything as specifically "anime" or Japanese until Sailor Moon came along in the late 90s. I got into it a bit on CN, and in the next few years I didn't really get into it, though I occasionally saw Cowboy Bebop and a few other things that CN offered. I watched some of the mainstays like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Princess Mononoke, and sampled a few things from the local Blockbuster's scant collection, like one of the Slayers movies and the first VHS volume of Utena (thereby preparing me for all manners of shoujo-mindtrip-wtf anime) Then at the beginning of 2003, I saw that my younger sister had a couple of the Sailor Moon movies on VHS. I borrowed them from her, watched them, and started collecting the DVDs of the greatly-edited English dub of the first two seasons of Sailor Moon that I had seen years before.

After that, I started hanging out in the anime sections of a broad-spectrum website I used to hang out, learned about new series like Love Hina (second purchase ever), stumbled across my university's anime club, and eventually found my way to websites like ANN and AoD.

Before that point, I thought, "Well, I'm just a casual fan, I like the stuff and I buy a few DVDs, I'm not that obsessed..." Then after my 10 GB HD old computer with no CD burner (bought in fall 2000) died in March 2005, I replaced it with a 200 GB HD PC with a DVD burner, and found my way to certain other websites about two years ago. Needless to say, I can't claim "I'm not obsessed" anymore.
10円

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quote
Even though my first experience with anime was way back in the early 1980's I didn't actually become a fan until Columbia House started advertising their VHS anime club on television. I went and rented Akira (the first volume in CH's anime line) and really got into it. A friend I was watching it with fell asleep, but I was just completely engrossed by it. After that I started renting random anime titles from time to time. Then I eventually began delving into comedy and slice-of-life series and really got caught up in the whole fandom thing. I suppose it's been about a decade now since I first started looking into this thing called anime. Some years I get tired of the whole thing and just blow it off, but even when I get away from it for a while eventually somebody drags me back in by recommending something that sounds interesting enough to look into.

Zalis116 wrote:
I thought, "Well, I'm just a casual fan, I like the stuff and I buy a few DVDs, I'm not that obsessed..." Then after my 10 GB HD old computer with no CD burner (bought in fall 2000) died in March 2005, I replaced it with a 200 GB HD PC with a DVD burner, and found my way to certain other websites about two years ago. Needless to say, I can't claim "I'm not obsessed" anymore.

Obsessed fan, or just obsessed with saving money? Sorry Zalis, but you really bring these comments upon yourself when you try to equate rampant piracy with legitimate fandom. There's a difference, even if you can't see it yet.

Last edited by 10円 on Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
Jeeze, how long have I been into anime? I gotta think about this. Well, in terms of being into anime since I knew what anime was It was 1997 when my friend Sean, same name go figure, introduced me to anime. Now once I knew what it was I did some research and found out I had been watching anime for quite a while longer. I saw my first anime around 1988 or so. I used to get old vhs tapes and catch stuff on cable. I knew it was different from normal tv but I didn't understand why, or what it was, until my friend told me what exactly anime was. Since then it's become a real passion for me and I've tried to share it with as many people as I possibly can. I try and support this passion however I can to keep it alive and well. I may one person but I can do something, right?
Asako

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Obsessed fan, or just obsessed with saving money? Sorry Zalis, but you really bring these comments upon yourself when you try to equate rampant piracy with legitimate fandom. There's a difference, even if you can't see it yet.
There was a long time ago on a chat site called WBS where I was talking with someone online who claimed to be a bigger fan of Ranma 1/2 than I was. So we decided to list down what we had of Ranma 1/2.

I listed down a lot of stuff... His list paled in comparison... and he said "I'd say we're about even." "Even" my buttocks... Shocked

But, I must say, even if I did have all that stuff, fandom really isn't measured by how much stuff you got. But it is nice Smile

Edit: Felt like a lot of stuff I put was unnecessary so I took it out.

Last edited by Asako on Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
For me it was 1995 when I saw Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon. I didn't know they were anime but I really liked the way they looked and the story involved. Then when Pokemon and Digimon came here I got into those. I knew Pokemon was from Japan though since there was an article in the TV guide. Over the years I got into more anime that came here: Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing, Yu-Gi-Oh, Tenchi, and Blue Sub number 6. It wasn't until late 2002 when I started 9th grade I began to find out these were really anime and I got into more anime. I started taking Japanese so that got me into it more and I began buying anime DVD's around summer of 2002 and that was the time I really got into anime. In addition to just watching on Toonami and I found out about Adult Swim and started renting and buying more DVD's.
p3rseus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
It started with Inuyasha on 05, but then it got old, it was the same thing over and over, so I stopped watching anime for a while. A couple of months later I found Ghost in the Shell and Fullmetal Alchemist and was hooked. And now I'm hooked on Rahxephon and E's-otherwise(or however you call it). I recently saw a movie (The Place Promised in Our Early Days) that was so great, it made me realize I want to get in more deep in this type of art style, so I got Ergo Proxy, and Trinity Blood and it's still growing on me, so far it's been great.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
Twenty one years and still counting Very Happy

I was mostly into shoujo like Rose of Versailles and Kimagure Orange Road and I remember hiding from my friends that I also liked some mecha to not make fun of me for liking "boys" stuff.

In highschool and my early years in college there was a period when I quit watching anime because there wasn't anything good on TV which was my main source back then to watch anime, but once I found out there were some good anime that can be bought online, I immediately went and ordered everything that I've missed that I've been hearing it's good which got me in trouble with my parents after they got to have a look at my bill, thinking I was crazy for wasting money on "cartoons" , so then I created a budget that I couldn'y exceed and began developing a habit of persevering and hunting for the best deals to get as many anime as I could and after I graduated and my parents didn't have a say anymore in my spending habits, I was finally able to allocate the amount that I wanted to satisfy my love for anime and manga.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:44 am Reply with quote
I watched anime casually in the 70s, but this all changed when Gundam came out. I collected the models, books, and magazines for this series. This is what began my anime fandom, although I still didn't own any titles on video since VCRs were really rare back then. I bought my first Beta in hte mid 80s. This is when I became a full fledged otkau collecting pretty much anything being broadcasted from Tobikage to Vifam. A few years later I bought my first Laser Disc player and began buying OVAs and movies on LD. The early to mid 90s were the years where I somewhat lost interest, I think this is more due to the content of what was being released in Japan since to this day these years contain very few shows that I like. By the end of the 90s I was back in full force with the invention of the DVD player. I've found my anime history has paralleled technology and can break the it into the pre VCR, VCR/LD, and DVD eras.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11