• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hatsune Miku U.S. Version Contest Winner Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
Sailor Miku, the American Sailor Scout. Laughing
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh not very good it makes here look to much like a slutty cowgirl

This. A thousand times this. There were some other pretty good ones that were far better than this.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
Man, do haters have no problems being the first to open their traps!
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Forte-sama wrote:
Am I the only one that thought this outfit makes Miku look like some sort of football cheerleader?

Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders Laughing

The resemblance is eerie! Shocked
Gwydion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, as soon as I saw it I thought of the Dallas Cowboy's Cheerleaders... and I don't even live anywhere near Texas. I don't mean to hate on the winning entry, but that's just a bit too similar.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sailor Miku, the American Sailor Scout. Laughing

Ah, damn, you beat me to it. American Miku looks exactly like the combination of a sailor scout and a Cowboy's cheerleader (with impossibly long, and ridiculous hair). And frankly, her design looks both uninspired and without broad appeal (towards non-otaku USA, anyway). While I understand the idea of a contest to drum up interest, why didn't they hire professional artists or comic book pros (like Jim Lee or similar) to submit their own interpretations?

Sailor Miku's americanization = slutty, still too Japanese-looking cowgirl fail.

firedragon54738 wrote:

Definitely. But how is that so different from her current look as a manga-inspired (and slightly slutty) raver girl from the future?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
xBTAx wrote:
That's somewhat disappointing, really. I saw a good number of other entries that I liked a lot more.

Same, though it's far from a bad design or an over-the-top sleazy one, so I'll give it a resounding "meh."
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
The first thing I thought was that she looks like a cross between Sailor Moon and Wonder Woman, but then I wasn't familiar with the Dallas Cowboys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow..glad I'm not the only one who thought "Looks like the 1980s Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader outfit"....

Well, they're making a new version of "Dallas", so perhaps the Japanese were into that show too in the 1980s...?
machetecat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
It's not the worst design, but I'm not really a fan. I was really hoping they would go more towards turning what she usually wears into more of an American fashion choice. (like, female punk rock or something)

It irritates me when the "American" design for the Japanese is all "RED WHITE AND BLUE AND COWBOYS. YIPPIE KAI-YAY!!"

Edit: Also, while it's clearly inspired by the cheerleading costume, I think it's different enough from the Dallas Cowboys outfit to cause any lawsuit problems.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
It's not the worst design, but I'm not really a fan. I was really hoping they would go more towards turning what she usually wears into more of an American fashion choice. (like, female punk rock or something)

It irritates me when the "American" design for the Japanese is all "RED WHITE AND BLUE AND COWBOYS. YIPPIE KAI-YAY!!"

that what my hope was too. Just taking Miku's School girl outfit and altering it into an American fasion.
or even an entirely new color scheme!

Using red, white and blue just feels kinda lazy.
red white and blue doesn't even match with Miku's aqua hair :/

It's still a cute outfit, I like the star-shaped pigtail holder, I'm not saying its awful or "ruining miku" or something.

it's just...not what I was hoping for I guess
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Jackstick wrote:
This is almost as bad as the Toyota version:

Kohii wrote:
And no, this isn't as bad as the first Toyota Miku. That abomination should be erased of our memories, by now.

People seriously need to get over this. It's a good piece and no worse than some of the thousand different versions you'll find in Japan. Just because it doesn't scream "ANIME" doesn't make it the art bad.

Anyway, yeah, this is a rip off. The only way I can see this winning is if the other entries were all scribbles and stick figures. It isn't "bad", but it is undeserving.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

firedragon54738 wrote:

Definitely. But how is that so different from her current look as a manga-inspired (and slightly slutty) raver girl from the future?

Exactly. Through the increased US mainstream exposure of Miku due to the Toyota promotions, many media personalities got a first look at Miku, and the consensus description of Miku's unusual outfit tends to be "racy" - like this NPR report.

As anime fans, we're already desensitized by such "racy" outfits worn by anime/manga females, especially young females. But to the uninitiated, Miku's outfit definitely looks "racy" and thus kinda "slutty" to them, like young girls shouldn't be wearing! Laughing

Unless y'mean all cheerleader outfits look slutty, probably due to all its association with pr0n or school promiscuity. But then, that's like saying all skin-revealing sailor fuku look slutty - for the very same association! Razz
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Hell, I've never watched a whole football game and I recognized the similarities to the Cowboys uniform!

Having said that, a lawsuit would bring Miku a ton of stateside publicity... Razz
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'm glad this was only for fun and not for the eventual packaging, if and when the English version gets released. she looks a bit like Wonder Woman's niece, if she had one, and I hate high heels. Did you know that the high heel shoe was invented by a man what hated women? He loved to see them suffer for fashion. Wink

Supposedly, they intend to fully commercialize this. It's the OFFICIAL "American" style Hatsune Miku, and is bland as oatmeal. While I'm glad none of the Japanese drawn blonde cowgirls won, there were much better entries than this lame cheerleader outfit.

To think, the guy who spent maybe five minutes thinking this up gets a free ticket to Japan. Even his "Patriot" art is better; I had a similar idea. I know my art's not great so I never got around to it, but I would come up with something more creative than this.

At least the winning banner for the Jpop Summitt wasn't too bad. Though the merchandise was really cheaply made (crumbling T-shirts galore).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3