• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toward the Terra (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote

Toward the Terra (TV)

Genres: drama, psychological, science fiction
Themes: bishounen, esp powers, espers, space, superpowers

Plot Summary: In the far future, humanity has left behind an environmentally destroyed Terra and began colonization in order to reproduce their home. Humanity, now ruled by a super computer that controls the birth of children, sees the emergence of a new race called the "Mu". The Mu, now hidden from the rest of humanity, have one dream, to return home, to Terra...
----------------------------------

This is Remake of a movie that was based off a Manga by Keiko TAKEMIYA

This is one of those titles that when it was announced lots of people were jumping for joy. The manga is quite popular and famous and has recently been in the middle of several internet wars... Also if you happened to pick up the current Protocultue Addicts there was a free preview of the first chapter of this story. So I check that out if your interested.

As always beware of spoilers for the entire first episode.

Opening scenes of the anime are simple and to the point people had to leave earth, it's short and sweet way of explaining it. As for the opening theme there are some awesome visuals for this series yet that opening theme is so sweet! Nah just kidding it's just alright it sounds like everything else.

I love the design of the characters with the over sized eyes it reminds me of Anime from when I was a kid. I think it because when you looked into their eyes it seems as if everyone has a twinkle in their eyes. Jomy well that's certainly is an interesting name. Alright at least in the future I know that in the future there will be soccer....I have something to look forward to. It's strange that at age 14 your already considered an adult, I know that when I was 14 I was worried about finishing up my 8th grade and getting good grade to enter honors classes in High School. I couldn't even imagine leaving my home and folks I would be so lonely and quite pissed.

Wow I didn't even know that Jomy was a foster child, looks like society makes it so there is no emotional connection between child and foster parents. Damn were those guys scrambling his brain? That looked quite extreme, I can only imagine what this mu is.

The show certainly has that feel 1985 where everyone is being watched, and we must keep our thoughts and feelings in check. I love Dreamworld....how it's so much like Disneyland and it's this amazing fantasy land where you can be a kid. I guess being Mu means you can talk to raccons/mouse things...awesome.

Alright Solider Blue way to fight against evil memory erasing machines. Damn becoming an adult sucks...first thing is that you get all your memories erased, how uncool. A nice little ending as Jomy must figure out how do deal with future police trying to kill him....and all because he want to remember his Friends and Family, quite extreme.

Ending theme, not really my cup of tea, under most circumstances this would be something I like (seeing as how I am a sucker for slow pieces) yet I just don't like it.

Verdict: The foreman has ruled that you watch more of this series, it's definitely got more going on then we know, and certainly with raving reviews from Manga fans it's definitely on my to watch this season list.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Has this been fansubbed yet? Don't wanna know where to download it or anything, just want some confirmation if it's out there or not. I really enjoyed what I've read of Vertical's release, and by the looks of the animation, this looks like it'll be a great adaption. The opening alone makes me squeal with fangirlish delight.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
Has this been fansubbed yet? Don't wanna know where to download it or anything, just want some confirmation if it's out there or not. I really enjoyed what I've read of Vertical's release, and by the looks of the animation, this looks like it'll be a great adaption. The opening alone makes me squeal with fangirlish delight.

Yeah it's been fansub seeing as how I know basically no Japanese, it was released earlier this morning (like 2 AM early) on 4/21. Everyone was still coming down from the contact high (4/20) to notice that it was available.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the first episode. The character designs seemed kinda strange, but I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it as I watch more of this series. I thought it was gonna be one of those childish anime series in the beginning, with the weird designs and execution. The latter half of the episode was impressive, though. That's where everything started to pick up. Can't wait to see the rest of the series.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Just watched it, and I can say that it was really enjoyable. The animation was very good, and pulled off the manga's style excellently, giving it a more polished look yet still retaining its old-school feel. Story-wise, it stuck very closely to the manga, actually improving on little scenes and giving more background information. For example, we see Jomy's friend (the one with freckles and sideburns) much earlier, whereas in the manga he doesn't show up until Keith comes in, when he suddenly mentions being friends with Jomy in his childhood. The part where Soldier Blue was fighting off the Terra Mother's laser beams was kinda dorky though. Razz Also, I actually like Jomy better in the anime than the manga. It manged to make his rebeliousness a little more endearing, I think.

For those who haven't read any of the manga yet, it gets much better from here on. Especially when Keith comes in. Very Happy
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I just saw it and...........I don't really like it. I'm gonna keep with it because it seems it will get interesting but the entire societal (is that a word?) adulthood test is just stupid in my opinion. To erase all memories of 14 years of your life to become an adult is somewhat sad and I would never try to become an adult. I'm not exactly sure what's going on with the Mu or psychic power thing but that's why I'm sticking with it to see it progress.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
I just saw it and...........I don't really like it. I'm gonna keep with it because it seems it will get interesting but the entire societal (is that a word?) adulthood test is just stupid in my opinion. To erase all memories of 14 years of your life to become an adult is somewhat sad and I would never try to become an adult.

I think that show certainly take a turn with that angle I don't find it stupid, it really shows how brutal this world and really how one should treasure their memories. Because you never know when you might lose them, I am certainly looking forward to seeing how the show progresses.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode and really liked it. The animation looked very nice and it captured the spirit of the manga well and even improved some things (as Dranxis mentioned).

Ryvius213 wrote:
The character designs seemed kinda strange, but I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it as I watch more of this series.

I love the character designs. I've always had such a crush on Soldier Blue and I thought he looked (and sounded) great. Everyone else looked good too...

Deltakiral wrote:

I think that show certainly take a turn with that angle I don't find it stupid, it really shows how brutal this world and really how one should treasure their memories. Because you never know when you might lose them, I am certainly looking forward to seeing how the show progresses.

I thought the anime did a very nice job of making the setting more realistic. In the manga Jomy's world felt too different from my own. But in the anime, the "futuristic" details were more subtle and the society was more of an altered version of our own. It made it more powerful and shocking when he's confronted with becoming an adult at such an early age.

Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
I just saw it and...........I don't really like it.

Don't worry it gets better... a lot better. I've always thought it was a little jumpy early on but some things happen (watch the OP animation Anime cry ) and the story really picks up.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't worry it gets better... a lot better. I've always thought it was a little jumpy early on but some things happen (watch the OP animation ) and the story really picks up.

I assumed it would get better, the OP actually made me seem like I would like it, so I'm actually waiting for it too. It was only the adulthood thing that made me dislike it, other than that I thought it seemed good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Dranxis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the reason they erase their memories is because they consider childhood memories to be useless emotional baggage that prevent the future adults from not wanting to help Terra, and instead always wanting to go back to the place they were raised. There's a theme in the show of "corrupting" influence from your peers vs. being raised immaculate and pure. Their reasoning is that since humans are inherently sinful and will continually pollute and use Terra to their own gain, the only way to save their mother planet is to attempt to raise "pure" children, who exist only to make Terra a better place. Obviously, it remains to be seen whether this is a good idea or not... But in any case, it makes for some interesting moral questioning.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm up to episode 3 right now. The character designs don't bother me anymore, and I definitely have high expectations for this series. From the looks of it, it's only going to get better from this point on.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:34 am Reply with quote
Just saw the first couple episodes.. and I have to say, I adore it so far. The character designs, and the story looks good, and the opening is like WOW.

Anyone else reminded of The Chrysalids? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I finally saw episode 2 and spoiler[I love this series, it's interesting and the character designs don't really bug me anymore. I get that storyline feels a bit old, but wow does the Earth being destroyed by over population/using up natural resource. ] I have a feeling that the episodes (I have an idea on where 3 is going) are setting us up for the great grand journey that is too come. And quite frankly that what I really want to see.
Mika Miaka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Shitsurei shimasu if there is already a general discussion thread regarding Toward the Terra.

I just finished the series, and found it so completely enjoyable that I had to come straight here to make a thread about it! Shocked Very Happy

I only have one rule when watching anime: I never read spoilers, or even summaries, or even see ratings, when I start a particular series, I just pick in a random fashion and see whether I can get into it or not.

And boy, did I get into this series. The main character starts out whiny at first, but he gets pretty darn awesome.

So, the rest of my thoughts in major spoiler tags!

spoiler[I found the ending completely captivating, the idea that humanity has left behind a super computer that tests the endurance of evolution of mankind itself.

The creativity of this idea is astounding to me -- to be able to evolve to the point where we could test the merits of our own evolution.

I really liked Keith -- he is the type of man whose heart you want to infiltrate just so you could say you did. His character development is layered, and you could not help but cheer for him, no matter his actions. I guess there is no such thing as a perfect human.

The story is fast paced, and years go by from the first episode to the last.

I cannot believe how fearless this series is in killing off almost all of its main players--I would have loved to see more.

My only complaint: Tony's hair. *facepalm* LOL

]

[EDIT: Merged with the older thread. -TK]
Neogelion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
So what are the main themes of this anime exactly? I downloaded the first two episodes but haven't watched them yet. Is it worth it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2