• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Follow-Up: Adult Swim to Rerun Eureka 7's Finale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WorldofElegance

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm usually too busy with college to keep up with anime shown on AS, but if I had invested the time to watch 50 episodes mostly unedited and then have the ending botched, I would have been pissed too. The fans have a right to call shenanigans on Adult Swim, and I'm glad their words were heard rather than ignored for once.

I do admit, I get irritated with some of the bumps that I catch in passing while my fiance is watching Family Guy. (The one about telling North Korea not to bomb South Korea because their internet would be flooded with "Waaaanime" fans was particularly distasteful in my view.) I'm a big girl, and I have thick enough skin to know they aren't personally attacking me, but I think that attitude towards fans is getting stale pretty fast. They need to find a new way to make jokes for their bumps, or their fanbase is just going to get angry and quit supporting the channel.

And while I do appreciate Family Guy and Futurama once in a while, all the Tim and Eric Saul of the Molemen junk needs to go. I don't know a single person that finds that crap funny, and you never see it high up on the list when they play the ratings game. Let it go, and make something refreshing instead of just vulgar and stupid.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
WorldofElegance wrote:

And while I do appreciate Family Guy and Futurama once in a while, all the Tim and Eric Saul of the Molemen junk needs to go. I don't know a single person that finds that crap funny, and you never see it high up on the list when they play the ratings game. Let it go, and make something refreshing instead of just vulgar and stupid.

You never see anime high up when they play it either... so basically you're saying they shouldn't be playing anime anymore?
It can be looked at either way.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
While I'm happy to hear AS has fixed this issue. However, a simple solution would have been just to head over to youtube or a similar fan sharing site and just watch the deleted scenes there. Sometimes I think we Anime fans get flustered over the littlest things. I know my attitude sounds terribly pragmatic, but come on, the episode is out there on the net. While I enjoyed the E7 dub immensely, I know enough not to always count on the TV broadcast to deliver the goods come the series finale.

That said, the response from the folks @ AS gives the feeling that the edits were pre-planned. If this is the case I’d love to know who AS thought would benefit from pissing off so many fans? Since I am an avid conspiracy theorist I’ll throw these out there for sake of discussion.

1. AS messed with the final E7 ep. to test the viewer-ship.

Meaning they wanted to know how many of us are really still watching Anime. Let’s face it – the AS programming block has expanded exponentially these past few years, all thanks to Anime, but the amount of Anime shown on AS has not…
And don’t start with listing all the “new” series they have shown, because when you compare those numbers to what’s actually available for TV broadcast it doesn’t add up. Historically AS has gone with picking up long running shows that have 50+ eps, so they can run them into the ground, then sprinkle in a 26 episoder to make it all look good.

We the fans keep on asking for more and better shows, but those shows are few and far between. To me showing Bleach on AS is nothing more than fan service to keep the masses of mainstream fanboys quiet. (please no flames on that comment – I am a MAJOR Bleach fan – and notice I said mainstream fans) Blood+, seems like a nice way to shut the hardcore fans up for a while; kinda like GIS:SAC did, and E7 can be viewed as the everybody will be happy show, since it was written to toe the line between hardcore and mainstream fans. What I mean is; there’s enough mecha action and fanservice for the average joe fanboys, along with the great writing, animation, and execution, the more seasoned Anime fans look for.

I could be wrong, but that’s just a theory.

2. Bandia requested the edits. They do have DVD’s to sell, and what better way to get people to buy vol. 7
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Jifty wrote:
Man, how the hell did I know this would be the reaction?

1) People take themselves way too seriously.

2) They're paranoid.

3) They have a persecution complex.

As soon as this happened, without waiting for any explanation, so many people started screaming as if it was the end of the world. How dare they? Because they own the damn station. You don't like it, write a letter to their sponsors and stop watching. But heaven forbid the overreactors actually do anything but post on a message board, where they think people will listen to them and praise them for their insight into the world!

I read in the other thead someone saying "How could it have been an accident when they had the shortened OP and ED?"

Um, because that's the way Bandai sent it to them?

In the intellectual masturbatory rush to blame Adult Swim for everything, they overlook the truth, because that would mean they'd actually have to think about something rather than just having a knee-jerk reaction.

I think I'll expand this and make it a rant for Hey Answerman.

Good luck. Some of these people would eat you alive. I look forward to your attempted suicide.
heh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
raithnor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Sakurachan1 wrote:
1. AS messed with the final E7 ep. to test the viewer-ship.

2. Bandia requested the edits. They do have DVD’s to sell, and what better way to get people to buy vol. 7

I think there are better ways to test veiwership than having their forum server crashed with the rantings of irate anime fans.

I also doubt Bandai requested the edits, most of the companies are probably happy that the show gets on the air at all. Remember CN is paying Bandai the right to play the content on their channel. That's why CN likes pushing stuff like Tim and Eric and Saul, because it's cheaper than trying to bid on the hot new anime property.

I think what happened is the staff running AS that night didn't really grok that the ending episode was different. That they didn't have to run the OP and ED segments because they were built into the episode itself.
Jifty

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Good luck. Some of these people would eat you alive. I look forward to your attempted suicide.
heh.

Please, I have a Bachelors Degree in Political Science. Name a hot-button political topic, I probably debated it a million times. Razz
rocklobster

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they don't hate anime fans after all. Oh wait, this is [as] we're talking about. At least they don't hate us as much as the American version of g4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3