• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Hideaki Anno Talks to Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Love is not unconditional, if you think I'd love someone who beat me you've got another thing coming, this whole "in love" thing is fascist, I would however make friends with someone with depression, maybe I could help them out of it.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
bcbenn wrote:
THEN, the story line veers into uncharted territory attempting to plumb the psyches of these special children and the nature of the human mind. Whether it's done well or ill is not the point; a psychodrama was not what most viewers were expecting based on the beginning of the story and this change in story type is not acceptable to many in the audience.

Personally, I liked NGE pretty well except for the incomprehensible last two episodes of the TV show; End of Evangelion answered most of the pressing questions of 'how and why' (except what happens after the final scene).

This is the reason why I'm an anime fan: those psyches (and what Shinji and presumably Anno goes through) is something I was able to relate to very deeply; I could see a lot of myself in the characters. As such, I found the series, and the last two episodes especially, very meaningful.

But to those who've never gone through such a thing, it just looks like emo vomit, and I completely understand that point of view.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
bcbenn wrote:
THEN, the story line veers into uncharted territory attempting to plumb the psyches of these special children and the nature of the human mind. Whether it's done well or ill is not the point; a psychodrama was not what most viewers were expecting based on the beginning of the story and this change in story type is not acceptable to many in the audience.

Personally, I liked NGE pretty well except for the incomprehensible last two episodes of the TV show; End of Evangelion answered most of the pressing questions of 'how and why' (except what happens after the final scene).

This is the reason why I'm an anime fan: those psyches (and what Shinji and presumably Anno goes through) is something I was able to relate to very deeply; I could see a lot of myself in the characters. As such, I found the series, and the last two episodes especially, very meaningful.

But to those who've never gone through such a thing, it just looks like emo vomit, and I completely understand that point of view.
What? You mean you didn't hear Anno laughing in the background during that EoE scene at the end then, saying "gatcha again sucker!" ? Wink
Sceleris

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Hideaki Anno wrote:
I chose the name because it sounds complicated.
Really?
M at the Evangelion mailing list wrote:
When the very first meeting was held before the title had even been decided, Anno already had the theme of "a battle between gods and humans" (i.e. a story on a grand scale influenced by the likes of Go Nagai's "Devilman") and proposed the name "Alcion (Arushion)", but Sadamoto disagreed strongly because it did not sound "strong" enough, and pushed "Evangelion" even though it had already been rejected once.

jsevakis wrote:
I agree. I guess I saw Evangelion when I was the right age, 14-15. Being a typical insecure (isolated?) teenager, it spoke to me back then. It still means a lot to me now, seven years later.

HarlockHero wrote:
It's not so much that the religious imagery and symbols in Evangelion are "chosen at random", but nor is it that there's a concrete interpretation of them possible to the viewer.
I don't think the religous imagery was chosen at random either. I'm convinced they purposely chose it to increase the exotic/mystery factor of the show, to increase it's popularity. I am under the impression that Anno did research to find out what makes a show popular. He obviously got something right. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
10円

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Where is this thread even going now? I'm lost.

Last edited by 10円 on Fri May 04, 2007 11:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Love is not unconditional, if you think I'd love someone who beat me you've got another thing coming, this whole "in love" thing is fascist, I would however make friends with someone with depression, maybe I could help them out of it.
So, you think hating them is going to make things any better? Obviously I don't expect everyone to get along but if you hate everyone that wrongs it doesn't make things better. All it brings is more agony if history has taught us anything and then we'd all be on antidepressants. If you can only love the people that love you back, then how can they love you if you don't love them first? Because if love is not unconditional, then how can they love you first since you didn't love them first because they would want you to love them first before they love you? If love isn't unconditional, then the whole concept of love would be contradictory. Loving someone based on a set of conditions isn't love. That's called being selfish. And please explain how trying to get along with humanity is being "fascist" again because you've lost me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
bc:
Quote:
In the case of NGE, the story began quite conventionally as an action-adventure teenage power fantasy: a tiny group of teenagers with special powers will save the world from powerful, cruel and incomprehensible enemies.

No, it did not. It started with Shinji moping and continuing to mope through the rest of the series, while occasionally piloting mecha with the aid of some other A.D.D.-riddled teens.

Quote:
In fairness there is much effort to draw characters and relationships from the beginning, but the emphasis remains on what seem to be giant robots controlled by the teens that save the world by fighting physical enemies, one after another.

The only thing drawn from the beginning is a bunch of emotional baggage. Normally, I'd care, but Anno clearly didn't want me to care for the characters. So I'm stuck with them going through the motions.

Quote:

The problem is that the shift is artificial, and has no bearing on the story.

jsevakis:
Quote:

I've gone through and seen people in similar circumstances, and I still can't relate. There is no sense of effort or growth on the part of the characters. They're just as one-dimensional as anyone from the latest harem show, which is ironic, given that Eva has its own dating sim spin-offs.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

I've gone through and seen people in similar circumstances, and I still can't relate. There is no sense of effort or growth on the part of the characters. They're just as one-dimensional as anyone from the latest harem show, which is ironic, given that Eva has its own dating sim spin-offs.

No, if you're expecting someone with truly clinical/chemical depression to put forth anything resembling effort, you have clearly never gone through it yourself.

The very nature of that level of depression is that you can't bring yourself to care about anything. It's not necessarily sadness per se, you can barely force yourself to get out of bed in the morning. You become like Shinji, a useless wet noodle that can't motivate yourself to do anything. And then the despair of doing nothing feeds on itself, and you feel useless -- a waste of air, and powerless to do anything about it. THAT's clinical depression. Shinji doesn't grow towards the end of the series, he falls apart. It's only in the (to many people) "incomprehensible" last episode that he actually breaks out of this vicious cycle and begins to grow and have some sense of self-worth.

Of course, as the movie is meant to be an f-you to the fans that could never understand that, he has Shinji go in the other direction from healing, outright violent psychosis. (see: last scene with Asuka on the beach)

Personally, and maybe this is just me, I found the random jumble of thoughts and violent self-doubts style of the last two episodes (and a few earlier ones) to be nearly identical to my own thought process during an episode of violent depression.

That anyone can be in such a state is usually very hard to understand without experiencing it yourself. Consider it a blessing if you don't. Believe me, any joy I get from Eva was not worth the 6 years I spent battling bipolar disorder.

As for me, I got help and I've been able to help friends who went through similar things. So I'm grateful for the experience, but I would NEVER EVER want to relive it, or wish it on my worst enemy.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis:
Quote:
No, if you're expecting someone with truly clinical/chemical depression to put forth anything resembling effort, you have clearly never gone through it yourself.

Perhaps I haven't, but I've still seen people who were medicated who still seemed more real than the characters in Eva.

Quote:
The very nature of that level of depression is that you can't bring yourself to care about anything. It's not necessarily sadness per se, you can barely force yourself to get out of bed in the morning. You become like Shinji, a useless wet noodle that can't motivate yourself to do anything. And then the despair of doing nothing feeds on itself, and you feel useless -- a waste of air, and powerless to do anything about it. THAT's clinical depression.

The problem is that he doesn't act depressed. He just has a wishy-washy
approach to things. For example, he can't decide whether to run away or keep working at NERV. He clearly needs a spine more than self-confidence.

Quote:
Shinji doesn't grow towards the end of the series, he falls apart. It's only in the (to many people) "incomprehensible" last episode that he actually breaks out of this vicious cycle and begins to grow and have some sense of self-worth.

I personally feel he's just chosen to be brain-washed into accepting his situation, so he can be respected by his friends and family.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Perhaps I haven't, but I've still seen people who were medicated who still seemed more real than the characters in Eva.

Maybe because the characters in Eva aren't medicated? You can only really be medicated for clinical depression when you actually put the effort in to getting it. Unfortunantly, the people with such illnesses feel so little self worth that they're almost unwilling to accept they have a problem, and don't need medication, because absolutely no one will believe they have problems, because once again, lack of self worth.

It's a thing.

Quote:
The problem is that he doesn't act depressed. He just has a wishy-washy
approach to things. For example, he can't decide whether to run away or keep working at NERV. He clearly needs a spine more than self-confidence.

If he were to run away, he'd have to commit to it. If he stays at NERV and takes it seriously, he needs to grow up/get a spine/make a commitment. Making a committment at that sort of stage is impossible for clinically depressed people, because they're stuck in the notion that no matter what they do, they will utterly and completely fail at it. It's unfortunant, but it happens, so they decide rather than fail, they'll do nothing, and that way they won't screw things up for everyone else. Even with the world falling down around them, they can completely withdraw themselves because it can get that severe.

Sure, Shinji could have used a spine. I was rooting for that all the way, but he doesn't, and that's that I guess.

Quote:
I personally feel he's just chosen to be brain-washed into accepting his situation, so he can be respected by his friends and family.

That's a somewhat bleak way of looking at it, but somewhat valid. Still, he actually grows/beats himself up over it and can, to an extent, move on. Either way, he makes a choice, which as I said, requires some level of commitment, even if you fail miserably.

edit: mind you, I have not watched episodes 25 and 26 of Evangelion in roughly 8 years or so. I should get around to rewatching the series at some point.
10円

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
You know, in a way I think all the disgust people often feel toward Shinji is actually yet another example of just how powerful NGE was. A lot of people don't like emotional males in anime but the way people appear to hate Shinji just seems to go far beyond all that. It's almost as though the more people complain about NGE the more I respect it for being willing to challenge our prior assumptions about what anime characters can be expected to accomplish, and indeed what anime itself can be expected to show us.
Mediaminer77

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
I didn't even know kids in Japan watched Eva. I always thought it was more for older fans. Shocked I guess you learn something new everyday.

It was originally shown in a childrens time slot but but wasn't very popular and the sponsors were pissed at how it turned out.

At least that's what I read once.. must have been on wikipedia.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
Steven:
Quote:
Maybe because the characters in Eva aren't medicated?

Ok, I'll re-phrase "medicated" to people who suffer from depression. My point is that Anno's approach to the ailment is shallow, in spite of the fact that he should be directly familiar with it.

Quote:
If he were to run away, he'd have to commit to it. If he stays at NERV and takes it seriously, he needs to grow up/get a spine/make a commitment. Making a committment at that sort of stage is impossible for clinically depressed people, because they're stuck in the notion that no matter what they do, they will utterly and completely fail at it.

It doesn't seem like he's afraid to fail as much as he's afraid of what other people will think of him.

Quote:
edit: mind you, I have not watched episodes 25 and 26 of Evangelion in roughly 8 years or so. I should get around to rewatching the series at some point.

Why bother, when they're gonna be irrelevant after the new movies? Razz

10?:
Quote:
A lot of people don't like emotional males in anime but the way people appear to hate Shinji just seems to go far beyond all that.

Who said I don't? Ataru and Godai from UY and Maison Ikkoku were my favorites before Takahashi killed all my interest in her work with Inu Yasha. I also wouldn't have gotten into anime if I couldn't relate to Tetsuo from Akira. And Arashi's a more intriguing character than the leads in Paradise Kiss. What I don't like about Shinji is that there's no real reason for him to be depressed. Yeah, he can't get along with his dad, but he's got a lot of support elsewhere. I personally feel he's trying to put on an act for attention.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
karenai_hana wrote:
@ Ingraman:
It was the July 2003 issue with Stellvia on the cover.

Well, I dug through the shelf that I keep my old (and dismembered) anime magazines on, and found that I've got AnimePlay issues 1 and 2. Stellvia is on #1. Yay! I've got the video! Anime smile

Yeah, the subtitling leaves a little to be desired. Anime smile; I'll (?re-)watch it tonight.

Oh crap! I think I got it somewhere buried too! It's either with artbooks or other mags like Newtype I sure hope I didn't throw it out. I remember it was soem sort of space one on the cover, Stevia or Last Exlie. Crap. I hope it;s the right one. This sounds interesting.
10円

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody want to sell their copy?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6