• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sci Fi Channel Launches Monday Night Anime Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I should be happy about this, but it smacks too much of "me-tooism". Adult Swim is kicking their asses in that timeslot with anime, so Sci-Fi tries the same tack. Plus, if all the titles come from Manga, that doesn't leave a whole lot of possibility. But I'll try to stay optimistic.

------RM
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Castle of Cagliostro (maybe)
They lost some of there better ones though.

I would think they still have that seeing as they just released a new edition of the film not too long ago. That's one of the flicks that I would watch it randomly appeared on TV, even thought I already own a copy of the film.

Losing Wings of Honneamise, Gunbuster, and the Patlabor films hurts, those are all movies I would like to see. And seeing as how expensive the new editions are going to cost, I guess I will have to be content with renting these titles.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
It all depends on what they show but anything that allows me to watch anime for free on TV is a good thing.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
I should be happy about this, but it smacks too much of "me-tooism". Adult Swim is kicking their asses in that timeslot with anime, so Sci-Fi tries the same tack. Plus, if all the titles come from Manga, that doesn't leave a whole lot of possibility. But I'll try to stay optimistic.

Your first point talks about something that isn't new. Every outlet is trying to create the next Lost or the next Deal or No Deal because imitation is the sincerest form of desperation in TV Ratings land.

As for the latter part, they do have GitS, Noein, and a number of OAV's and movies that I think would garner some interest on (more) mainstream cable. If all else fails, there's that pile of movies that always cycle the premium channels every week. Right, Brian? Wink
B.K.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Manga owns the rights to End of Evangelion. It would be funny if they put it in SciFi.
arxane

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Hm... I've already heard rumors that [as] has this series for airing. Could be false, w/e...

Last I heard, Funi was in talks with AS to air Witchblade. Beyond that, I don't think anything been's confirmed or accomplished.

As for Sci-Fi's new block, any competition for AS is a good thing. I mean, it might even get AS to actually properly advertise its anime. Seriously, when an asian channel few people get manages to advertise its anime better than AS does, something is wrong with the world.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
B.K. wrote:
Manga owns the rights to End of Evangelion. It would be funny if they put it in SciFi.

OH HELL F***ING NO!! Shocked seriously though, this is absolutely perfect timing. AS has hit bottom anime wise, and now a new thing is comming out. we thought we'd have to wait a while for a replacement and look!

and if this does really good, then there will be other titles comming from other companies. what was the other Gundam that was in the 0079 timeslot with the old style, ZZ? I've heard good stuff about that. but i have one, huge request........NOTHING LIKE INUYASHA Shocked heaven knows we all do not need a repeat of that. nothing with a big fangirl following.
omar235

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:14 pm Reply with quote
WHAT!!!! Shocked

Oh wow this made my weekend...I hope they put relativly good shows on, truthfully I wouldn't care if they showed old stuff at all. Wink

And so begins the epic battle for the greatest anime block on cable t.v.
[adult swim] V.S. Sci-Fi

Last edited by omar235 on Sat May 05, 2007 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I wouldnt mind seeing some of the stuff they used to show- Project A-Ko, Iria, Venus Wars, Vampire Hunter D, etc. That'd be pretty cool.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
This should get things going. Now I wonder what are the shows Sci-Fi will show.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scortia

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Come oooooooooooon Noein! That show is so overlooked, sadly. It's quite brilliant.

Anyhow... man, they should have added in boys under the age of 18 to get an even more phenomenal number of males watching Adult Swim... over half of the 11th grade class I teach caught my Robot Chicken reference the other day. X_x
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Sounds pretty cool... I mean, I remember watching their Saturday morning anime block back in the late 90s (after watching MST3K of course...)

Manga has some decent titles (Macross Plus, Castle of Cagliostro, Noein, Tactics, Street Fighter II, etc) that would be a good fit for the network. Maybe Sci-fi will pick up some other anime from other companies too. I know that Starz also aired shows from Geneon (like Hellsing & Vandread), so we'll see, I guess.

Hopefully it'll do well.

- Bilis
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I think it's great to see more anime on TV, especially since it will give AS some competition. I hope that they'll be able to work out deals with other companies/license holders as well, Manga doesn't have anything that interests me that I don't already own. But I'll still check it out Cool .

The Seventh Son wrote:
what was the other Gundam that was in the 0079 timeslot with the old style, ZZ?

No, it was either War in the Pocket (0080) or Stardust Memory (0083).
Animegeek86

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that they might show the Neon Genisis Evangaleon series and movies, Fullmetal Alchemist (altough it is a bad guess), and probably other seires and movies that is considered to be action and sci-fi. I'll be surprised if they show Tsubasa Chronicles in scifi. Who knows. Lets just hope Sci-fi doesn't screw-up
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Gotta admit, this kinda came out of left field for me. However, if it were to compete head-to-head against [as] and its hour of Futurama / Family Guy / [insert applicable show titles here], there's no way Sci-Fi's gonna win that one, ratings wise. There is the possibility for Sci-Fi to do some damage from 12-1, but only if they plan their schedule smartly. Actually, I like Sci-Fi's chances from 12-1; [as] doesn't appear to be getting off the rerun train anytime soon (outside of Shin-chan, and even that will be a brief reprieve).

The possibility of airing EoE:
I think there's a within-the-ballpark chance of it airing, but not without some scene specific editing.

Overall, it feels like a weird kind of full circle thing going on; Sci-Fi takes partial credit for my fandom status. If it wasn't for a movie that Sci-Fi aired ten years ago at 2am on a one Saturday night, heaven only knows if I would've stuck with anime instead of treating it as a phase of my life, and leaving it behind eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5