• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Ghost Whisperer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
It is utterly mindless and relatively inoffensive...until Chitose takes off those damn glasses.

I'm not sure I follow here. Girls who have yuri fantasies of other characters are offensive?

I don't think "offensive" is the word you're looking for. I can agree that watching the repetitious scenes that do break up the dialogue could be annoying. But there is nothing offensive about such scenes. Well, unless you just think that a girl being lightly-intimate with another girl is offensive.

I also think Erin is really going to enjoy the second 26 ep collection of One Piece. Even after Baratie, my fandom of One Piece wasn't quite solidified. After Arlong Park though, with Nami's past revealed, I became a OP fanatic for life.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
It is utterly mindless and relatively inoffensive...until Chitose takes off those damn glasses.

I'm not sure I follow here.

Girls who have yuri fantasies of other characters are offensive?

I don't think "offensive" is the word you're looking for. I can agree that watching the repetitious scenes that do break up the dialogue could be annoying. But there is nothing offensive about such scenes. Well, unless you just think that a girl being lightly-intimate with another girl is offensive.

I don't think that's what the original poster was going for. But I could hazard a guess one could have found the constant "Ha Ha, lesbians!" annoying as it just sorta diminishes a sexuality to a punchline. But eh, I'm not about to argue over this show, which I just found aggravatingly dull.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
>Yuru Yuri
>Flushable

Even if it is just your opinion, I heavily disagree with it, and believe that it doesn't deserve that kind of harsh treatment.

There are only two ratings for streaming shows, "Stream Worthy" or "Flushable". It's a binary choice. I didn't make the ratings up, I took over the column.

fireaxe wrote:
Aaw Erin bashing on a yuri show, color me not-so-shocked. Laughing

There is yuri that I like. I liked Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto. I also liked parts of Maria-sama, and I love Utena. I like yuri, but I hate unfunny comedy.

fireaxe wrote:
Quote:
Yuruyuri isn't poorly animated, but it sets the bar low with few locations and a lot of talking scenes (cheap to animate!).

I found this comment extremely odd, since Hidamari Sketch is nothing but talking scenes, and has even fewer locations (two, actually, and there are 44 episodes of it!), but it never seemed to bother you.

Looking back on it, here is what I said about the Hidamari animation:
erinfinnegan wrote:
Although it is entirely free from conflict, the show is visually interesting. Far from being a Quaalude for the eyes, Hidamari strives to keep viewers awake with a lot of quick cut-aways. Hiro's frizzy curly hair moves around otherwise static frames like Shinjiro's Mohawk in Cromartie High School. Hidamari is downright inventive in keeping things moving on screen while the characters sit around a table and talk for hours.

So in Hidamari the long talky scenes are broken up, but we're not so lucky with YuruYuri.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Binary rating system aside, "Flushable" is right on the mark for YuruYuri--at least two flushes to that get that baby down.

As a rabid fan of comedy & yuri, that show was a dull stinker. The one-note comedy--Oh, the punchline was "lesbians" or about lesbians, again-- pandered just as hard, and just as emptily, as any fan service show with panty shots, boobs, or wacky sexual misunderstandings (See: falling onto boobs, overreacting and nose bleeds).

The animation was ho-hum and the character designs made them look a bit lobotomized.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Those saying that the punchline is "lesbians" don't quite understand YuruYuri. Heck, I would say that the, if anything, the punchline is typically dealing with all (and there are a lot) of the unrequited feelings between the girls. They even released an official relationship chart:

It takes a lot after School Rumble what with relationship lines like:
Ayano -> Kyouko -> Chinatsu -> Yui -> ????
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I hear One Piece is really good, but the lenght of the series scares me.
dxprog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Honestly, I think I'm still watching Yuru Yuri ... as a "brain break" ...

I think this is the same reason I'm still watching. It's not necessarily funny, but it's not off putting either. It's just... super relaxing.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
If you look up the wiki, or some quality forums, you can easily tell which arcs are good to watch and which aren't. In my opinion half of One Piece is fluff. There are many arcs that only reveal 1 or 2 things about the overall progression of the plot.

And since when did One Piece slow down on the exaggerated reactions? I've been watching the latest episodes and they are still at least 25% reaction shots (also see: Fairy Tail).
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:

I feel the same. I have one friend that insists I watch it, but I have so many series to watch that have standard episode counts (24ish I guess). I can't ever skip arcs either, not to mention that most long running shounen series I've seen run out of steam at some point, which makes me hesitant to watch it. I may just pick up these as the sets come out instead of trying to marathon through most of the series like I usually do.

And Yuruyuri I thought looks just interesting enough for me to consider watching between more serious shows. And there is an anime all about drinking tea; it's called K-On.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
And there is an anime all about drinking tea; it's called K-On.
Don't forget the cake! Laughing
stevek504

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was especially annoyed with Chitose, a student council member who takes off her glasses to nosebleed-fantasize about her classmates.

I found Chitose totally flushable until episode 8 (April Fool's). For some reason I started to like her after this. Maybe I was in just the right mood, or maybe it was because they "filled out" the character a little more in this episode. If it came out on a R1 DVD sub. I would probably buy it, mainly because you can't count on streaming (wishing Aoi Hana was still available on Crunchyroll).
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Actually, there's a show airing right now, Hyouge Mono, that seems involve a man wandering around Japan and tea ceremonies...

Oh! I've heard about that one, Ed Chavez kept telling me about the manga. It has soldiers making tea in their helmets and stuff like that.

Hypeathon wrote:
Erin Finnegan wrote:
Has anyone written a guide of un-skippable episodes out there on the internet somewhere?

I don't know about written, but the hosts of the One Piece Podcast has also been doing a guide called the One Piece Loguebook.

I did here about that... and looking at the One Piece wiki to sort out the filler is a good idea, but I'd rather see a more tailor-made list of "must see" One Piece episodes. For example, I liked the Alabasta arc, but I don't think every episode was vital to watch. There ought to be a fan-made "One Piece Kai".
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
to watch my newly imported R2 Redline Blu-ray at a friend's place.

I realize I'm probably nitpicking here, but the nits need to be picked! Blu-ray does not have a Region 2. There's Region A, Region B, and Region C. We (those of us in the US) share a region (A) with Japan, so just saying it was an import would have been the correct way of putting it. Makes importing from Japan much more viable to people who don't want to have multiple players or a region free player, and even more so since Japan is starting to include more English subs on their blu-ray releases.

As has been mentioned, the early episodes of One Piece may seem a bit off from the later stuff, but there's plenty of good viewing to be had. And the Arlong Park arc, with Nami's past is still among my favorites. Whenever she starts to annoy me, I just flash back to that arc and all is forgiven Very Happy
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There was a time when every anime series looked like GSM, with round-faced, poofy-haired girls and maybe a dude with a headband.

I was indeed a hell on earth Smile

Somehow I am intrigued by the prospect of watching Yuruyuri.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Actually, there's a show airing right now, Hyouge Mono, that seems involve a man wandering around Japan and tea ceremonies...

Oh! I've heard about that one, Ed Chavez kept telling me about the manga. It has soldiers making tea in their helmets and stuff like that.

Hyouge Mono was great as far as I was able to tell. It is a political thriller in part, and the tea ceremony is intrinsic to the political intrigue (both in terms of motivation and mechanics). It includes many historical figures from Oda Nobunaga to famous ceramicists of the day (they do real tea ceremony, and the cultural artifacts are an important part of the plot). Unfortunately only 5 episodes were fan subbed and nobody else picked it up. :RAEG: Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3