• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Women in J-rock?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
There's also Yaida Hitomi. She leans more toward J-Pop, but I believe she still qualifies for J-Rock. She's similar to Shiina Ringo, though I honestly prefer Shiina. ^^;
rektagunn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:56 pm Reply with quote
meanmachine!!!meanmachine!!!

only one album LP....but whooooweeee, it packs a punch!!!!!

viva j [garage] rock!!!!
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:54 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Iron Chef wrote:
I'd say Aikawa Nanase qualifies, since she now has ex-Megadeth axe-slinger Marty Friedman touring with her (and helping write songs) all the time.

Marty from Megadeth is backing up a J Rock singer? oh man i have to hear this.

Yeah, seriously. He said (paraphrased), that this is the music he's been wanting to write for years now. I guess he's working with a few other Japanese bands, too, whose names currently escape me. But a recent post on his site said that he's helping Aikawa write her next album. It should be interesting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:03 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

And just some people know, Mana from Malice Mizer, mother of EGL and j-rock fan-fashion, IS A GUY!

Yes and knowing that makes me feel confused Confused

j/k
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sesshoumaru sama

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
What exactly is J-rock? I know J-pop. I hear it all the time in anime OPs and EDs. Can someone possibly give me a song from a mainstream show by any chance? Is the OP for X (TV series) like J-rock? Or maybe a band like Larc-en-ciel?

The ending to Furi Kuri(FLCL), would be a good example of J-rock.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:56 pm Reply with quote
It's the same difference as it is here between rock and pop. Yes L'arc-en-ciel is rock,but you can just tell. If it sounds like rock, it probably is.
rektagunn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:25 pm Reply with quote
there's a fine line between jpop and jrock....but I would say that jrock is more guitar-driven with less emphasis on the synths......
Kaidan0731

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe nobody mentioned Onmyouza and Inugami Circus-dan here.

Onmyouza is one of the rare J-rock groups that has a female lead singer. The band name itself means the gatherring of balance between darkness and light and they've been banishing demons since 1998. Kuroneko is her name, btw. The bassist Matatabi is the backing vocals (and damn his voice is so freaking original!). Their latest album is Mugen Houyou.

http://www.onmyo-za.net/

Inugami Circus-dan is the scariest yet the funniest J-rock group I've ever heard. Don't take 'em seriously because' of the lyrics that makes you squirm and puke. The lead singer is Inugami Kyouko.

http://www.inugami.jp/
Kal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I was going to say Inugami, but I just joined today, so bleh =P Luv their unique style though, I wouldn't know how to describe it exactly, but it's like this mix of traditional, but then you put in a whole lot of gore, death, and goth into it Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2