• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Mastering the Universe with Clarine and Matt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm still left wondering what the advantage of upscaling content on the disc is over using the myriad of competant to sophisticated hardware in televisions and BD players.

The people who buy BD just because it's new and shiny can't/won't recognize the value of perhaps circumventing poor upscaling hardware in their systems by having an upscaled BD. Whereas those of us who are interested in the best presentation possible know that:

a) Optimally encoded and deinterlaced SD content will be just as good if not better than a hard-coded upscale with better players (Oppo, or anything with Qdeo I suppose).

b) Choosing to upscale the content opens the door to mistakes; better to have unmolested native content than a compromised upscale.

c) Optimal encodes would leave more space on the disc! After listening to this, everyone should know how expensive BDs are; shouldn't it follow that we use that space intelligently?
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
While I understand what you're trying to say, I don't quite see what BD (Blu-ray disc) has to do with what I'm asking, since I was talking about a DVD box set, not a Blu-ray set. Wink

It's pretty much the same answer. They used a DVD-5 (single layered disc) for the last disc to save some money. It's not a whole lot, but that extra $2 per set for another DVD-10 (dual-layered disc) could have driven them over budget.

Sometimes every little nut/bolt/screw counts, especially when it comes to mass production.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
The film restoration arguments for like new or better then new is held in every feild were restorations are done, the classic car market is very heated on this discussion. For me in any restoration my preference is a show room new restoration. I want to see a film, car, desk, house, etc in the conditions that were present when it was new. That said I can see the better then new argument as well, with modern tech you can make colors more vivid, lines crisper and in many cases it will look better. There is no real correct way to do a restoration on any work and it goes in cycles on what restoration method is in vogue. Right now the movement in art, architecture, film, cars and comics is restoration to new condition. In a decade or so I’m sure the trend will reverse them selves.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I can understand the reasoning from a business perspective. However, as a consumer, it's a little frustrating.

On the plus side, though, I have to say that I love, love, love the "Marathon Feature" on the Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z DVD box sets. When I'm watching these sets, I'm usually pushing through 4-5 episodes a night, so the "Marathon Feature" is a Godsend. Smile

joelgundam00 wrote:
ljaesch wrote:
While I understand what you're trying to say, I don't quite see what BD (Blu-ray disc) has to do with what I'm asking, since I was talking about a DVD box set, not a Blu-ray set. Wink

It's pretty much the same answer. They used a DVD-5 (single layered disc) for the last disc to save some money. It's not a whole lot, but that extra $2 per set for another DVD-10 (dual-layered disc) could have driven them over budget.

Sometimes every little nut/bolt/screw counts, especially when it comes to mass production.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
I'm still left wondering what the advantage of upscaling content on the disc is over using the myriad of competant to sophisticated hardware in televisions and BD players.

Here's a few...

1. The vast majority of people do not have an Oppo or equivalent high-end BD player. Probably less than 2% of BD purchasers have one. This ensures everyone gets the same high-end upscaled output.

2. No MPEG-2 artifacts to attempt to process out.

3. Anime is notoriously difficult to IVTC properly in hardware due to the low cel counts, and sometimes varying frame rates. A disc-side upscale will prevent the stuttering caused by many hardware IVTC implementations.

4. DVD has mediocre color reproduction.

5. Lossless audio.

Also, a lot of people who have upgraded to Blu-ray have just stopped shopping the DVD side of the isle in general, so upscales are a good way of making sure people are still even open to buying your product.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what was the other one?

xxxHOLIC: The Movie in the "Clamp Double Feature" BD. There's no JP Blu-ray as of yet, but it has aired in HD in Japan and it was clearly no upscale. What's especially frustrating is that the Tsubasa Chronicle movie was an "HD Native" presentation.

FUNi later released the Tsubasa movie with the TV show, but has yet to do anything else with the xxxHOLIC flick. Cynic that I am, I've wondered if they're trying to forget that ever happened...

a), b), c)

"Optimally Encoded" SD video, even with high bitrate MPEG-4, is really nothing to get too excited about. The Digibetas they're sourcing shows from have better color reproduction than any spec-compliant SD video can reproduce due to color subsampling. HD video is subsampled too, but since you've already upsampled the color data with it, the difference is negligible at that point.

Besides, as Justin points out, leaving the deinterlacing/upscaling to the hardware of the user is a total crapshoot. The PS3, for example, does not upscale Blu-ray video; if it's encoded at 480i - and make no mistake, if you're not upscaling you're probably not doing a manual IVTC, either - it spits out a poorly BOB deinterlaced 480p signal. Your hardware isn't going to fix anything at that point, it's pretty much forked. At that point, a 480i BD might look worse than a 480i DVD because the player actually 'knows' how to deinterlace and upscale those properly.

So long as the upscale isn't messed up, there's no problem. Frustratingly enough, Gungrave proves that FUNi's output is still wildly variable, but they've done plenty of other titles that suggest they've mostly got this stuff down.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Don't get me wrong guys, I did say I was all for lossless, advanced codecs, and deinterlacing the content on the disc. I just thought you could do all those things and not have to bother upscaling; I guess Kakugo's comment on the SD spec means you can't get the bit depth, though. A compelling argument, sir!

Just out of curiosity; do either of you think people at large would pay much attention to the hardware shenanigans you described? If it weren't for the few knowledgable people raising a fuss, wouldn't the FUNi upscale issues have gone unnoticed?
jsevakis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:57 am Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity; do either of you think people at large would pay much attention to the hardware shenanigans you described? If it weren't for the few knowledgable people raising a fuss, wouldn't the FUNi upscale issues have gone unnoticed?

Oh ABSOLUTELY. People would go, "WTF THIS BD LOOKS LIKE CRAP" and not know why, and they'd get even more hate mail than they already do.

A good number of people (60%, educated guess) know what BD quality is supposed to look like, but very few (~10%) know enough to bother to look into hardware issues.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
We use this trick on DVDs as well, except for the cases when the DVD has been authored in a way that you can't skip the intro credits and/or trailers. Off the top of my head, I know that my copy of the Ranma 1/2 Second Season DVD box set was done this way. There might be some others I'm not thinking off at the moment.

machetecat wrote:
I've always been able to skip the trailers by hitting "title menu" on the remote. Both my Blu-Ray and DVD player have this option. Never been a problem for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to pop in to say that I greatly enjoyed the episode! Though some may find the technicalities dry, I thought it was very interesting to hear about all the work that gets put into making the disc releases.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
A very informative episode of ANNCast. I always appreciate hearing from the people who work in the industry, as they know exactly what's going on to produce and manufacture the final product. Many items that I was curious about (up-scales being one example) were discussed, and I appreciated a lot of the technical detail provided. Being a firm believer in, and early adopter of Blu-ray for titles that I've purchased, it was interesting to hear the many differences between encoding for the DVD and Blu-ray formats. Great show, guys.
jsevakis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:39 am Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
So long as the upscale isn't messed up, there's no problem. Frustratingly enough, Gungrave proves that FUNi's output is still wildly variable, but they've done plenty of other titles that suggest they've mostly got this stuff down.

I haven't seen it and didn't ask, but I get the feeling Gungrave might've been a Japanese upscale they had to use. It was encoded 1080i, and for some reason some Japanese studios love to keep things interlaced, whereas I don't think any Funi upscales are anything other than 1080p. (Interlaced upscaling never looks very good, IMHO.)
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote
If Gungrave is a Japanese upscale, they've been "kind" enough to provide Funi with it when no Japanese release has been announced yet. I can't say I've noticed any trend with upscales looking either better or worse because they're in 1080i or p. Paranoia Agent for one looks rather good, and it's 1080i, meanwhile 1080p Gankutsuou is godawful. The biggest determining seems to be what if any destructive filtering they do to "improve" things. Paranoia Agent doesn't have any that I can see and has noticeably more detail than the DVD. Gankutsuou is filtered to death and frankly the Geneon DVDs were significantly better about 90% of the time.

And what good option is there to 1080i if there's 30fps content? In that case 1080p will get you either dropped frames or blended frames depending on what you do; neither is something you want. Don't need repeats of the FMP:TSR OP where it's 30fps content dropping every 6th frame to get 24fps. Stutter stutter stutter.

Still wish BD as a format supported 1080p30 like HD-DVD did. There wasn't any technical reason not to, and even if over 90% of 1080i releases are really flagged 1080p30, it would have helped avoid the occasional botched release.
digitani

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed this episode guys! I love hearing about how the industry works. I would like to hear more of that.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
If that picture truly represents the quality of the BDs for this, I wouldn't buy it. Really can't understand why the OB got hate, as it looks better to the eye, than the DVD transfer and the BD.

Perhaps there is some error in the picture titling.
Colors boosted to ridiculously oversatured levels and applying massive DNR (digital noise reduction) to reduce detail does not make the picture better. Also, cropping the image like that is never, ever good. Plenty of people who don't really care for the integrity of the imagery will disagree, but that doesn't make it right to do so. Sadly, companies will cater to those who feel that an unnatural, manipulated, "brighter" image is better, such as Funimation has in the past with their application of DNR and EE (edge enhancement) to their upscales, although this has (mostly?) seemed to be abandoned if favor of a more hands-off approach..

That was actually the issue with Funimation's release of FLCL. The Japanese master was problematic for a number of reasons, and can be seen in this thread. This specific post by hissatsu actually details why DNR, EE, etc. should not be applied to upscales (such digital manipulations were sadly applied to FLCL and others):

Quote:
The only thing an SD upscale should aspire to be is something like a "perfect DVD". Perhaps a tiny bit more resolution, none of the compression artifacts, lossless audio. Every effort to make things sharper, smoother, cleaner than the original animation before it was compressed just makes things worse.
If you don't have a problem with those kind of manipulations, that's fine. But it is obviously still a problem for others.

The Orange Box version picture looks like it jumped straight off the TV set. As to the cropping issue, I agree with you. I would hate it.

But the DVD transfer and the BD pictures look like you are watching them with lightly tinted glasses. Nothing like what we watched on TV.

The BD is more detailed as it should be, so why should the picture be darker than what you saw on TV. I am sure there is a valid or excusable reason for it, but it is clearly a big negative to weigh in deciding whether to buy it or not.

For me, if I am going to fork out for a BD, I would want the BD to be better than the TV experience not worse. The darkened picture makes it worse, despite the added detail.

None of these versions are a 'win'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4