• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Gauges Interest in Limited Hetalia #3 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
This is reminding me a bit of when Toei was releasing DVDs of Shaman King and a couple others over here:

Japanese company retains the rights, but the English company is throwing on the translation and publishing it.

Since TP likely already had the translation done and was ready to be published, the only additional cost they have is the publishing. And sales will likely cover that, as well as a kick-back to the Japanese company. What little profits TP is likely to get out of this, probably will be mitigating their losses on what they'd already put into the book.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
I do have one question though, so if my rambling has been too much for you guys, maybe you'll take the time to read this? ; w ;

I know that Stu Levy is the former president of Tokyopop, and I know that TP had to shut down, and I know he ran off to do a documentary, and I know he's still holding some of the OEL titles hostage (it's the only word I could think of OTL) but other than that...why is he so hated again?;;;

I mean, a lot of factors contributed to TP's demise, right? Plus the documentary is supposed to help those who were effected in Japan, right? Gosh I'm confused (╥_╥)

Where would like to start? We could go on for days on one subject alone.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
I do have one question though, so if my rambling has been too much for you guys, maybe you'll take the time to read this? ; w ;

I know that Stu Levy is the former president of Tokyopop, and I know that TP had to shut down, and I know he ran off to do a documentary, and I know he's still holding some of the OEL titles hostage (it's the only word I could think of OTL) but other than that...why is he so hated again?;;;

I mean, a lot of factors contributed to TP's demise, right? Plus the documentary is supposed to help those who were effected in Japan, right? Gosh I'm confused (╥_╥)

Where would like to start? We could go on for days on one subject alone.

I dare say....lets start from the beggining! or as far back as your knowledge on Stu can take you ; w ; (I also know about the unfair OEL contracts and how he focused more on those than the Authentic manga because it's supposed to be cheaper that way, but...if it'll really take all day, I doubt my knowing that would save you any time Anime hyper)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
What's the point of holding onto a license that one intended to give back prematurely anyway and that one had no intention on further using. That would just piss off the original owner, especially if said owner sees the other original owners getting back their properties pronto and making deals.

Since you seem to know all the legal specifications regarding how these rights are reverting back to their original owners, I would suggest you provide the proof.

I doubt Levy would be offering something he didn't have the rights to offer. Rolling Eyes

He's not offering it. He's just thinking about it. He probably thinks he can talk the original owners to let him do it.** There's no proof that Tokyopop kept any license rights, only that they intended to give back the licenses to the original owners ahead of time. Why would they keep it further?

[** From Stu's latest message, that seems to have what happened.]

Mizuki-Takashima wrote:

I dare say....lets start from the beggining! or as far back as your knowledge on Stu can take you ; w ;

Then, you can start here. Laughing

ANN - Inside the Mixx Controversy (Aug 14th 1998)
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
Ugh. Such a pain in the arse. ><

I don't like Hetalia, personally, but this is just...kinda messed up. I didn't think TP really had any reason to close, unless they were in deep financial poo-poo, but I don't recall they went bankrupt, but that one day Stu Levy decided to up and say "GUISE I'M NOT INTERESTED IN DOING MANGOES ANYMORE LOL TEH MANGA MARKET IS DED ROFL"

Sad
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
Well, TP was doing a lot of layoffs prior as I recall, so it's highly likely that they were struggling financially. Add in how much they were owed by Borders, and at that point it probably didn't matter who was at the helm. But, most of the decisions that idiot Stu Levy made up to that point had pretty much spelled the end of TP regardless of what happened. When your CEO no longer cares about your primary medium, then you really don't have much chance for success.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
Genet wrote:
Ugh. Such a pain in the arse. ><

I don't like Hetalia, personally, but this is just...kinda messed up. I didn't think TP really had any reason to close, unless they were in deep financial poo-poo, but I don't recall they went bankrupt, but that one day Stu Levy decided to up and say "GUISE I'M NOT INTERESTED IN DOING MANGOES ANYMORE LOL TEH MANGA MARKET IS DED ROFL"

Sad

I just read through some of the links on the Mixxine controversies, and I totally think that inpression of him is pretty accurate. He likes to talk.... alot. It never seems like professional pr talk either...

Also, that fact that 1,000 people hit "like" on the Facebook post is sad... the fact that the limited print (if it gets done) probably won't get to all of them, nor to the other fans who haven't seen the post. I'm not sure how many copies of a big title like that get produced, but 1,000 copies to fill the Facebook fans needs, seems WAY to high a number, if it's limited...
Garnet Jello

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
Get a load of this new post on Tokyopop's facebook wall:

Quote:
Hetalia #3 update
by TOKYOPOP on Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 2:47am

Thank you everyone for your enthusiasm to the Hetalia #3 question. It looks like almost 1000 "likes" and over 75% of the comments being "yes" - a very positive reaction! I will clarify a bit more of the Hetalia approach since there are a few questions out there. First, "limited" does not mean limited copies - all fans will be able to access the title. "Limited" here means channel (i.e. retail). Second, Hetalia #4 would be published as well. Third, other titles are different rights owners - this project is a partnership with the Hetalia rights owner, but titles owned by different rights owners are unrelated. That means even if TOKYOPOP wants to publish other titles, it can't. But if the model can be proven, perhaps other rights owners will let other titles be released as well. It's still at the experimental stage - and not fully within TOKYOPOP's control. Once again, thanks for your enthusiasm and continued support! The feedback has been very helpful - now it's time to work out the details and make it happen! Will check in again soon. Oyasumi!

I'd normally be overjoyed to hear that a cancelled manga series that I enjoyed reading is resuming publishing, but I feel conflicted about this. Though, I definitely have the hunch that ol' Stu is doing this for the sake of money. I sort of wonder if he already had plans of publishing the third volume, but posted the previous facebook post for the sake of saving face and sucking up to those who are naive.[/b][/quote]
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote
My comment on the post:
Just sod off. You've screwed us all over once already. Do the decent thing and let another publisher pick Hetalia up rather than trying to exploit the fans who supported you, just to fund your next stupid whim. The Priest movie and Princess Ai were terrible. If you really cared about the fans you'd finish all the series that had just 1 volume left, rather than milking the love of Hetalia fans. Oh wait, they're a more secure source of $$. How long before you get bored of this idea, too? People, please don't be stupid enough to trust this company again. They dumped you once, they won't hesitate to do it again. 
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:13 am Reply with quote
Heh...I was removed briefly from the TP page for stating my opinion on this stupid idea. I had to relike the page to continue posting.

Quote:
So, once again, thank you for all your valuable feedback! Talk soon! --Stu

Right. You only value the POSITIVE feedback (and I can't believe almost a 1,000 people liked that post).

Stay classy, Stu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
otakubaybay wrote:
Copy-pasted and edited from my post on the Facebook post--

I like the idea and I love Hetalia, but this offer honestly kind of upset me. Instead of publishing a volume from an UNFINISHED and ONGOING series, I'd MUCH rather see the LAST volume of Saiyuki Reload. Obviously we're not gonna be seeing Reload Blast or Gaiden from TP, but the least they can do is complete Saiyuki Reload. There was only one more volume! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ /rant

My thoughts exactly, mate.

Levy's offer here comes off like a cruel taunt for APH fans and TP fans on the whole, as FH14 pointed out so well.

Either let the titles go completely, or do things right, Levy. Otherwise you're just dangling hope before people who don't deserve this.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
Wow. Just... wow. I can't believe so many are allowing themselves to be taken advantage of. I am a Hetalia fan, but I will not be supporting this release due to Tokyopop's history of abhorrent business practices.

I will be supporting Funimation's release of the movie and Hetalia World Series, however, as they seem to have more respect for anime and manga in their little fingers than Sleazy Stu has in his entire body.

What kind of smeghead decides he's bored with his industry-redefining toy and then comes back 4 months later saying "hi guyz i can has Hetalia again if u want it"? Sure, the translation's done, but the first 2 volumes seemed like a rush job and are in dire need of extra care. The scanner I bought just before going to college 9 years ago could have done a better job processing some of the pages in Hetalia volume 2 than what actually went into the English book proper.

So yeah, to the 1000+ people who were suckered into this, enjoy your half-assed Hetalia, boys and girls. My lawn - get off it.
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
Garnet Jello wrote:
Get a load of this new post on Tokyopop's facebook wall:

Quote:
Hetalia #3 update
by TOKYOPOP on Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 2:47am

Thank you everyone for your enthusiasm to the Hetalia #3 question. It looks like almost 1000 "likes" and over 75% of the comments being "yes" - a very positive reaction! I will clarify a bit more of the Hetalia approach since there are a few questions out there. First, "limited" does not mean limited copies - all fans will be able to access the title. "Limited" here means channel (i.e. retail). Second, Hetalia #4 would be published as well. Third, other titles are different rights owners - this project is a partnership with the Hetalia rights owner, but titles owned by different rights owners are unrelated. That means even if TOKYOPOP wants to publish other titles, it can't. But if the model can be proven, perhaps other rights owners will let other titles be released as well. It's still at the experimental stage - and not fully within TOKYOPOP's control. Once again, thanks for your enthusiasm and continued support! The feedback has been very helpful - now it's time to work out the details and make it happen! Will check in again soon. Oyasumi!

I'd normally be overjoyed to hear that a cancelled manga series that I enjoyed reading is resuming publishing, but I feel conflicted about this. Though, I definitely have the hunch that ol' Stu is doing this for the sake of money. I sort of wonder if he already had plans of publishing the third volume, but posted the previous facebook post for the sake of saving face and sucking up to those who are naive.[/b]
[/quote]

You know, it's not even that he's just doing it for money. I don't really care if a company wants to make money off things, I mean, it's a business at the end of the day. There are points where I'd draw the line, but meh.

But it's that he's just...I think the only way I could describe him is like an ADD elementary school kid. Something new is always popping up and he abandons the last thing he was working on to jump aboard the new bandwagon. I personally that a market like manga, which needs stable players in the competition because it is suffering for various reasons, doesn't need somebody who will pull stunts like that. It unprofessional, it's bad business, and I would feel reluctant, to ever purchase a Tokyopop title ever again if they came back to publishing manga and he was the head of the company. Actually, no. I would just not purchase anything the put out because it is so iffy if they're even going to be hanging around.

I'm sure he's a cool guy, and he has some neat creative ideas, but I just don't think that this is a good place for him if he's going to do stuff like this. He shouldn't be trying to head a company like this. I know of a few people who dropped a LOT of money on TP titles, and when he decided one day that manga just wasn't for him, it felt like thousands of dollars were wasted. That's about what my friend probably spent.

tl;dr- If TP wants to go back to publishing manga, they need to get someone in there who can stay aboard the ship and keep it together.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:

Here is an article to shed some light on why Stu gets so much hate:

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/03/tokyopop-lays-off-senior-editors/
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:

Here is an article to shed some light on why Stu gets so much hate:

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/03/tokyopop-lays-off-senior-editors/

This pretty much sums it up really nicely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5