• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
whats the best manga that isn't an anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I second Mars and Clover! Mars drags a bit in the middle, but a totally sweet series. And Clover is just beautiful and a great story. Just too short, though.

I recently picked up Dragon Knights and I really enjoy it! It's really quite amusing! Let's see, what else? Planet Ladder, Redmoon, and Vagabond. Those are all good too. Smile
LordShishio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Ragnarok from Tokyopop.
DiscoBuba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Super Taboo would be great! j/k......or am I! BWHAHAHA Twisted Evil

Seriously though, I think Cicatrice/Scars of the Sirius would be pretty cool. Although thats not very well known and not sure of its popularity but I doubt it would ever get made.

What I'd really like to see is a Better Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm anime. The manga was just so good. Or maybe more Gunsmith Cats episodes, those were done well.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:40 pm Reply with quote
DiscoBuba wrote:
Or maybe more Gunsmith Cats episodes, those were done well.

I'd definitely be up for this. The OVAs were indeed very nicely done, so if they maybe were able to come up with a TV series with at least some of that same staff, they could potentially recapture that quality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Akira101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:40 am Reply with quote
is it just me... or does anyone else want to see Battle Royale be made into an anime series??
I think it would be a pretty good series to follow... if not gruesome and violent and .... well... for mature audiences only who can hold their stomaches.... Shocked
L337Llama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:03 am Reply with quote
BR was oringally book, then the movie/manga followed it. Did you see the movie?

Id like to see the Jin Chu arc from Rurouni Kenshin animated, and another season of Hellsing. The manga has gone on longer tahn the series.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:28 pm Reply with quote
L337Llama wrote:
Id like to see the Jin Chu arc from Rurouni Kenshin animated, and another season of Hellsing. The manga has gone on longer tahn the series.

I'd like to see a new season of Hellsing that actually picks up from the last episode that stayed true to the manga. That is, pretend anything that Gonzo did when they deviated didn't exist.

Yes, I hate Incognito that much. Cover him up, pretend he never happened. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bokuto no ryu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Battle Royale should be made to an Anime, it would rule over all others, enspecially if they all all the detail that was in the original novel. spoiler[dont follow the watered down movie because tah only scene that taht was really harsh was when that dude got a ice pick in tha crouch.] if they add that part in tha anime it would be all good
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I certainly agree with MARS, though one has to admit it'd be a bloody expensive series to animate properly. It's the same conundrum that faced AIC when the first went to do Ah! My Goddess. The characters are almost too detailed and too complex to animate faithfully.

Sheesh, the first episode's budget would be blown on Rei's hair alone.
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:29 am Reply with quote
My 2 favorite mangas that haven't been made into an anime are:

Bremen - althought sometimes it feels little..... far-fetched (with the super human strength and all Razz) it really is a kick-ass manga about rock, violence... but mostly... about freedom in every aspect. About how to stay yourself and honest when everyone aroudn you are low and 'dirty'. I love this title.

Real - now this is probably my favorite manga! When you look at it for the first time you can get the impression that it is mainly a sports manga about wheel-chair basketball. But the whole wheel-chair part is only a background for presenting the stories of 3 characters. A young guy who wanted to be a sprinter but couldnt because of his disease that took his ability to walk, and deliquent drop-out great basketball player, and an ass that got hit by a truck Razz. The whole manga is simply GENIUS. The story is so... true. so REAL. It seems liek the characters are people you can meet on the street. Real is definitely a great title. But I dont know if it would make a good anime.

//edit
I totally forgot about Monster! Now that would be the anime of all times.

Last edited by Arkard on Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hana Kimi yet. That would easily become one of the best "normal" shoujo anime, since the manga is already one of the best "normal" shoujo manga out there. >.>
Jet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:49 am Reply with quote
There are 2 that I'd like to see animated. The first is more Berserk! I've read through volume 25 of the manga and they really, absolutly, without a doubt, have to animate the rest of the series. The second is Five Star Stories. I know there was that short film that was absolute garbage ... but a real series would be nice.
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:54 am Reply with quote
Howdy Anime smile

Has anyone ever read MPD Psycho? Shocked That that would be interesting (not to mention gruesome) to see animated.[/code]
Hellomojo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Nuriko-chan wrote:
I don't know if you're a shojo fan or not, but if so, Peach Girl is definately a good one^^.

Ah yes. I knew there was one I was forgetting. Mars would be good, too.

...anybody mention Clover yet?
I agree! It would make a totally kick butt OAV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kagato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I liked blade of the immortal.It was pretty good,but it would be a little gruesome if it was made an anime,Especially in the first volume when he gets shot point black in the skull.One other think I would likew to see is a Lupin anime that stays true to the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3