• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Devil May Cry.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I finally saw this with subs *really bad subs*...

I dunno, I've never really played the game (well, I've played it, but I've never sat through the cut scenes or whatever... 1 was fun... 2 was ridiculously easy... 3 had cutscenes directed by the dude who did the cutscenes for Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, so I really wanted to see that); when I went in, I was just looking for something stylish and fun... I got both, coupled together with Hisashi Abe's excellent character designs and Madhouse's excellent animation... only thing that worries me is if the production values take a considerable dip somewhere down the line (for example, if Patty keeps wearing the same dress, this'll probably be a pain in the ass to animate considering all the detail in the ruffles and stuff); it happened with Gunslinger Girl (which Abe also did Character designs and animation for), so I'm hoping it doesn't happen here.

Also, the fights are short since these are the pissant enemies; I'd be more worried about how they intend to maintain the same sparkle during long fights, but, if they somehow carry that same chaarm into the longer fights, I'm game.

But yeah, Patty is cute and Dante is fun cool, so I'm not complaining... it's not exactly super dark gothic or whatever, but I like the whole "buddy feel" (as much as that might betray the original subject matter... but then, I wouldn't know since I didn't follow it)

The story was about how...

spoiler[Some kid gets used as a diversion to draw attention away from some lady who needs to be at some ritzy place by a certain time in order to inherit some money.]

It was simple and cool.

That said, I really don't think this will reach the emotional depth that Gungrave did... it's... really not likely... well, I can't imagine it anyway.

But, to very least, I can hope to look forward to marginally better production values (which is what I was looking for to begin with).
Amasa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I really liked the detail in the animation; it's ridiculous how much detail there is in the art and animation...

And I still think that the opera stage sequence was one of the most gorgeous over-the-top action scenes I've ever seen for an anime.

They're really not that impressive. In most of the scenes where there was just dialog there was minimal movement. For example when that old guy and Dante were talking all we saw was the child Patty blinking for about 70 seconds. The action scenes are all the same as well.
Human turns into demon. Demon jumps in innocent girls face. At the last second Demon freezes and blood bursts onto the screen.
That same scene was repeated about six times in the episode and each time it was ended by some lame comment by Dante, either about Strawberry icecream or pointing out how much of a child Patty is.

This episode was terrible. I don't think I'll be continuing the series. As for "beautiful theater scene", I don't know what you were watching. All I saw was about five seconds of random shadows at a slant dancing around.
Yup this series is definitely on the shallow end of the anime spectrum. If you really want to see satisfyingly disturbing action involving demons then watch Kemonozume. DMC fails on almost every level, even the blood looked more like something from a lipstick add, seriously I was almost expecting Patty to start saying "Maybe it's Maybelline". The blood was all thick and pasty, and it seems the animators decided that more blood makes the anime better. Which is just totally wrong.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why everyone's always looking for some art-house thing (even stranger that we'd be looking for it in a video-game adaptation); I wanna be entertained here... sure, it's kinda superficial, but it's weird how everything needs to be like...

This thought-provoking/super deep... whatever; and this is coming from someone who wrote 70 pages worth of content on Naoki Urasawa's Monster.

That said, I actually do have interest in Kemonozume (which is also a Madhouse production)...

I've seen Mind Game (which was by Masami Yuasa too), and that was pretty cool (albeit a little too unconventional for someone like me), so I'll probably give the above a shot...

Just... need to find the time and right mood.

Also, I really liked the detail in this show (DMC); high-quality line art with some nice attention to movement (notice how the animators get the "weight" of characters down and it feels like they're coherently moving across the screen, or when they "act," they have this nice detail to attention and cohesion between frames)... it's nice to get this kind of quality for this very orthodox style of animation, especially given that I'm fond of the stuff you'd see in Kawajiri's works (latest of which, Hisashi Abe also did designs and animation for).

Yeah, it's orthodox, but doesn't mean that it can't be great.

Though, the whole "Kawajiri" thing (or... whoever's style that really is... I just associate it with his works) might come across as static to some, but I find it very satisfying to look at as it strikes this certain balance between what I consider aesthetically pleasing movement and detailed design adaptations.

I just... hope that DMC stays on target somehow; I seriously don't want this to pull a Gunslinger Girl on me.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

Yeah, those were so horrible I stopped watching. But from what I did see, I'm kinda torn. The animation's got some great detail and the darkness fits the mood; but I'd like some more stylish action because that's what the game's were all about.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
DKL wrote:

Yeah, those were so horrible I stopped watching. But from what I did see, I'm kinda torn. The animation's got some great detail and the darkness fits the mood; but I'd like some more stylish action because that's what the game's were all about.

Yeah, well, it's the first episode...

They're probably gonna lift the combos you see in the game later...

Or not... well, I dunno.

But yeah, again: pissant enemies.

When the bigger stuff comes in, the thing I'll be worried about is whether the A-game key animators get brought or not...
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know which of the storylines this anime is following? I have only ever played the first game, so is this one following the second game? I heard that DMC2 was a prequel, so maybe they are doing the story in chornological order?
Having only played the first game, Im a bit in the dark.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode today and oh wow, those were horrible subs. At least the episode had a thin enough plot that it was barely necessary to read the subs, but regardless, I hope another group picks this up.

As for the episode itself, I liked it but I was disappointed as well. I thought the animation looked great, I liked the music, and it was entertaining but it wasn't as great as I was hoping it would be. The action scenes were too short and although Dante still had some badass moments, he just seemed different to me compared to the way he was in the games. But maybe that's just because I was expecting him to be more like how he was in DMC 3...

I can understand where Amasa is coming from about the animation with some of the shortcuts they took (like where the camera would be focused and such), but I agree with DKL about the theater scene. It's one of the nicest looking scenes I've seen in a long time. I thought the rest of the animation looked really good as well, but the scenes had really bad transitions and things got kind of jumpy at times.

And I thought Patty was cute. I was nervous that she would be annoying but I found her quite likeable. I had to laugh when Dante was like, "I'll date you in ten years" ...

Even though I wasn't really that impressed, I'll definitely be following this one. I love DMC and I can't wait to see how the rest of the show goes. And episode 2 looks good... I can't wait to see more Lady.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
I watched the first episode today and oh wow, those were horrible subs. At least the episode had a thin enough plot that it was barely necessary to read the subs, but regardless, I hope another group picks this up.

I can appreciate great subs, but I'm really not too picky in general except for my absolute favorite shows. This group was definitely on a whole different level though, I understood it better when I wasn't reading the subs, and that's saying something with only two years of Japanese under my belt.

Anyway, on to the show. I've never played the games, but I think this show suffers from the "trying too hard to be cool" syndrome, even if it does really succeed at particular moments. Although the opening bar scene had the unquestionably best animation quality of the episode, aside from that scene I wasn't too impressed personally. I thought this was a generally sub par Madhouse production (not that that's saying much by itself though Laughing ). The animation was pretty cheap for most of the episode; it set up a great mood and has some great atmospheric stuff going on like the color scheme, lighting, and locations, but there were a lot scenes that just reeked of corner cutting.

The last fight scene in the first episode was definitely the epitome of the "trying too hard to be cool" syndrome I'm talking about. Dante knows everything about these monsters, including exactly how long they'll lay there "stunned" (or whatever silly reason the monster stops attacking long enough to let them regroup) before they'll get up and fight to the death. From his rather cheesy line talking about how he'll give them a concert to how he rushes in with his guns blazing to how he calls his sword from the sky only to have it rip a whole in the roof for what seems to be a completely unnecessary finisher at that point. The coup de grace though was him slinging the blood off his blade at a weird angle that just so happened to throw the big gloopy blood up and way across the room onto the painting the now dead guy loved so much.

I don't know about this show. I'm definitely gonna keep watching, as I think it could be really cool if they just stopped trying so hard to be cool and focused more on fleshing out the fight scenes without using awkward camera angles that hide the movement of the combatants. I also hope they explain Dante's omnipotence and ability to read the creature's minds without even being able to see them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:

The last fight scene in the first episode was definitely the epitome of the "trying too hard to be cool" syndrome I'm talking about. Dante knows everything about these monsters, including exactly how long they'll lay there "stunned" (or whatever silly reason the monster stops attacking long enough to let them regroup) before they'll get up and fight to the death. From his rather cheesy line talking about how he'll give them a concert to how he rushes in with his guns blazing to how he calls his sword from the sky only to have it rip a whole in the roof for what seems to be a completely unnecessary finisher at that point. The coup de grace though was him slinging the blood off his blade at a weird angle that just so happened to throw the big gloopy blood up and way across the room onto the painting the now dead guy loved so much.

I don't know about this show. I'm definitely gonna keep watching, as I think it could be really cool if they just stopped trying so hard to be cool and focused more on fleshing out the fight scenes without using awkward camera angles that hide the movement of the combatants. I also hope they explain Dante's omnipotence and ability to read the creature's minds without even being able to see them.

In other words, it's the perfect DMC adaptation.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Does anyone know which of the storylines this anime is following? I have only ever played the first game, so is this one following the second game? I heard that DMC2 was a prequel, so maybe they are doing the story in chornological order?
Having only played the first game, Im a bit in the dark.

If the first episode is any indication, and coming from a guy whose played all 3 games, it takes place after the 2nd (BTW, 3 was the prequel).

Quote:
In other words, it's the perfect DMC adaptation.

Yeah, Dante's a cocky guy; that's what makes him such a badass.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
On the other hand, it seems like people are saying that it betrays the original DMC feel to some extent; I wouldn't know, but this show is not like super grpahic dark or whatever (despite the fact that there's blood all over the place).

Also, I probably can't really see eye-to-eye to Selenta on the whole "corner-cuttin" thing; didn't seem that way to me... for example, the car scene (car of which is filled to the brim with detail) where Dante squeezes to the side of the truck (the side without the... uhh... "restricted viewing") was really well-done; the train was nicely shot and detailed as well.

And little things like Patty playing billiards was neat to look at.

And even the aformentioned "blood against the painting" was quite nice as you could really feel the weight of all the blood splashing against the surface.

And then the ending where there was detail all over the place (in the form of stuffed animals and Patty's dress) was really attractive and easy on the eyes.

My definition of cheap corner-cutting animation is when characters "morph" from one position to another; DMC is anything but... it actually uses pleasing-looking "ins" and "outs" in regards to movement, so this is pretty much why I'm going out on a limb for the production values.

But yeah, overall, I was pretty into a lot of the sequences; it comes across as really competent in terms of art and animation; it's a really sharp production from Madhouse... kinda wish that Claymore was this strong in the visuals department (which is still puzzling to me as I don't understand why there's this huge gap between that show and the other Madhouse Shonen Jump adaptation).

Though, I'm almost worried that DMC won't keep at this level for more than a few episodes; this is what really bothers me about the thing.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
On the other hand, it seems like people are saying that it betrays the original DMC feel to some extent; I wouldn't know, but this show is not like super grpahic dark or whatever (despite the fact that there's blood all over the place).

The monster designs aren't typical DMC fodder. But besides the manga, the series has never really been all that "dark".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4N_I1SkGN8

Pretty good example of the atmosphere DMC had in it's 3rd enstalment. 1 was darker but still had plenty of cheese.

Oh, and the anime most likely takes place after DMC1 but before DMC2. Believe me, they are doing everything they can to push DMC2 further and further away from 1 timewise. I wouldn't be surprised if it was eventually dropped from the series.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
So I happened to check out Devil May Cry yesterday and while it certainly looked nice its lacky in other areas, but I kind of expected that. More then anything that little girl could really get on my nerves, but as for the story....lack thereof currently. The first episode really doesn't tell us anything about the characters other then Dante can really kick some ass, I hoping that changes seeing as how I really know nothing about Devil May Cry. Hopefully episode two will have better subs available because the one in the first episode must of been literal translations because a lot of things just didn't make any sense.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Royal Devil wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4N_I1SkGN8

Pretty good example of the atmosphere DMC had in it's 3rd installment. 1 was darker but still had plenty of cheese.

Laughing Haha, oh man, that was pretty funny. I can appreciate stuff like that, it was just so silly and over the top that it was pretty amusing. While I'm definitely a fan of more realistic fights in general, it's fun to watch something like this every once in a while. At least it's faithful with respect to how omniscient he his, though his silliness seems to be toned down a bit in the anime compared to that clip from the game. Too bad in my mind, as its the combination that really made him.

By the way, I didn't mean to say that the animation was terrible by any means, I just meant that I definitely disagreed with the people who seemed to think it was the best thing since sliced bread. I for one was not impressed with the opera scene. Who was the guy doing the lights during all of this? Why is he still there? That aside, I'd rather watch the fights than just see a shadow of them. A shadow on a screen isn't much different in my mind from a shadow on a dimly lit wall where all I can think of is "PAN RIGHT YOU IDIOT! I CAN'T SEE WHAT'S GOING ON!!"
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the point of using the lights was for stylish fun; coupled together with the use of the stage backdrops makes for a pretty visually striking sequence.

ANYWAY, I was really impressed by the stage sequence since I rarely see shadows used stylistically and properly in anime...

Well, I haven't seen a lot, but most of the time, I only notice its use in Masayuki Kojima's work.

(Examples: The 2nd episode of Gungrave *which I think Kojima did storyboard work for* where someone is gunned down and you can see their shadow collapse as bullet holes get drilled into a brick wall... then, there's an episode of Monster where Grimmer runs up the stairs and you can see his shadow cast across the stairway as he crosses a window *with twilight lighting, since it was sunset*... then, there's that episode of Master Keaton "The Red Wind" where a flashlight is used to enhance the dramatic impact of a character's entrace).

That stage sequence came across as memorable to me since I probably haven't seen enough anime to know what's considered "impressive stylistic use of shadows."

But yeah... I dunno.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5