• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is a me or 4Kids is on a anime shopping spree?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jkid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Because it looks like it, they got Magical Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi). Here's the proof: http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=91671.

If they get Child's Toy and americanize it, HEADS WILL ROLL!!!!!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, isn't this type of anime a romantic comedy? I remember seeing clips of this on the 1st DDR project. Well let's see how 4Kids can pull this off since I can't really judge it right now.

Hehehe, imagine them getting Magic Users Club. Rolling Eyes
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:25 pm Reply with quote
4Kids: the NEW FUNimation. Confused

I mean hell, they've basically made it some Holy Crusade to set any progress towards anime's acceptance in North America back by a good ten or twenty years. The last time anyone was as brutal with Americanization as they are, it was someone splicing three separate series together and naming it "Robotech."

And the worst part is that 4Kids's properties are often the best known!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
4Kids: the NEW FUNimation. Confused

What do you mean by that?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, FUNimation used to be known for brutally raping/Americanizing the anime they had, but recent releases (Fruits Basket, for example) have shown significant maturity on their part.

So now that we have an empty space in the "idiots of anime licensing" niche, 4Kids seems all too happy to fill it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
space clam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:40 pm Reply with quote
4Kids really DOES want to demolish anime into childish nonsense, it seems. Maybe what's really going on is 4Kids is a cover for a massive conspiracy between those who think anime is possessed by demons and Disney, who may be catching on to the fact that some day anime will smash their childish animation to dust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Two Points:

I loved Robotech

4Kids is liscensing Kid's Show!! If they were doing something like Blood: The Last Vampire, then I would get worried. DO REI ME! is not anything deep or important, its a kid's show.

Do you think Japanese 10 year olds watch Eva on Saturday mornings?
space clam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Of course its for the human children.(Its called 4Kids, after all) The problem is that the general public thinks of 4Kids when they think of anime, due to the sickening popularity of Pokemon, which is a MAJOR discredit to anime's acceptance, as Nagisa wrote. What really needs to happen is for a mature anime company to go mainstream, similar to 4Kids. FUNimation may be taking steps in the right direction, by bilingual, uncut Hakusho and Blue Gender. But perhaps my biggest problem with 4Kids is that it seems to exist for the SOLE purpose of selling toys and other paraphenalia, as opposed to showing quality anime[/u]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I liked Robotech, too. But the fact still stands that it's one of the biggest editing/Americanization jobs around.

And you have a point that 4Kids is in the business of children's shows. But like space clam said, the public associates 4Kids properties with anime as a whole since they tend to cram their properties shamelessly down our throats. Making this worse is that their insane lengths of Americanization only makes those shows even more kiddy and distasteful, which further serves to piss on the progress made by companies like ADV and Bandai and Geneon.

If they just licensed children-safe anime and distributed them, there wouldn't be a problem. But the crap they do to their properties that just warps them into ass-backwards shells of what they once were is what I personally am at odds with. The shows they nab are kid-friendly to start, why must they dumb them down even more? Even little kids have an intelligence capable of being insulted.

Just to add something to what someone else here said, if they ever got Kodocha, it'd be clobberin' time. Wink
Lupin_333

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Proof of 4Kids turning cool anime into liscensing crap:

This Saturday, the FoxBox will be hosted by the character Mr. Cheeks from Ultimate Muscle (Kinnikuman II). I'm guessing they will be using stock footage from the show and redubbing it corn-ily to make it seem like the character is hosting FoxBox. I would not know that had my siblings not been huge fans of Shaman King, Sonic X, and said wrestling show.

On a different note, I remember reading in Newtype USA about 6 months ago that when Studio Sunrise first started they were not allowed to make any anime without giant robots because if they couldn't selll toys based on their anime then they would be deemed a failure. Because of this, Mobile Suit Gundam, Aura Battle Dunbine, and countless other classic anime were born. Maybe this whole 4Kids thing is just a blessing in disguise...

We'll just have to find out where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:19 pm Reply with quote
You people are blowing this waaay out of proportion. First off, most americans don't have a clue who 4kids are, they associate anime with Pokemon, NOT 4kids. They aren't going to look at the other titles and think that it's from the same company as Pokemon so it must be little kids stuff, they don't even know what that company is. Hell, a lot of anime fans don't even know who releases what, certainly not the average american. People are going to think all anime is Pokemon no mater who releases it, even if it was a power house like ADV.

And of course 4Kids is out to make money off of their products, what company doesn't? They'd be stupid not to! However, they certainly aren't doing it to the level that you all seem to think they are. Pokemon may have the animation done through them, but everything else merchandise wise is through Nintendo and Hasbro. Shaman King, Sonic X, Fighting Foodons and most of their other titles have 0 merchandise for them. And Ninja Turtles isn't a 4kids creation, it's owned by Mirage Stuidos with Playmates handling merchandise and Image doing comics, both for Mirage based on what 4Kids put together, not for 4Kids itself. Where is this "SOLE purpose of selling toys and other paraphenalia?" It doesn't exist.

As for being "kid safe" it comes down to cultures. What's appropriate in one country isn't going to fly in others. Yeah, maybe callling a rice ball a donut is overdoing it, but it doesn't exactly hurt the show either. What they're doing is saving their butts from angry parents who don't want their kids watching James run around with boobs in Pokemon. All of the companies would use the same practices as 4Kids if they were releasing kids stuff on TV. Don't believe me? Try looking up the Fox version of Bandai's Escaflowne.

If anything people should now be praising 4Kids for being one of the few companies to have the balls to release a shoujo anime for saturday morning, something we've only seen with Cardcaptors and Sailor Moon in the past. Rather than compaining about what they're doing wrong, howabout looking at what they've done right?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Lupin_333 wrote:
This Saturday, the FoxBox will be hosted by the character Mr. Cheeks from Ultimate Muscle (Kinnikuman II). I'm guessing they will be using stock footage from the show and redubbing it corn-ily to make it seem like the character is hosting FoxBox. I would not know that had my siblings not been huge fans of Shaman King, Sonic X, and said wrestling show.

And how is that any different than Kids WB being hosted regularly (weekends and weekdays) by it's characters? And why is that even a problem to begin with? If they own the license to the characters then they should be free to do what they want with them. They do the same thing in Japan with american animation they get, should they stop too because because they're "turning cool cartoons into licensing crap?" I don't think so.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Burner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Dead people are dancing with vacumes and nobody seems to be upset with that.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Well, FUNimation used to be known for brutally raping/Americanizing the anime they had

That anime, being Dragonball Z, which was destined for the Toonami block. Had it of still been dubbed "correctly", people would STILL think its shoddy, badly animated crap, only it has old music instead of new

I find it funny how people just jump on the ol' "hate 4kids" bandwagon. Here's the thing though: "THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU". It should be pretty obvious that they AREN'T targetting it towards you, and if the Japanese licensor doesn't care, then it's a sign that you're either in such a minority that it's not worth worry about you, or that there's just a bigger market out there for something if it's edited and "hacked up". I'd just accept it and move on

Besides, what's americanizing? Why not jump on the same stupid logic and shout at the Japanese for "Japananizing" Transformers and G.I.Joe?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
Well, FUNimation used to be known for brutally raping/Americanizing the anime they had

That anime, being Dragonball Z, which was destined for the Toonami block. Had it of still been dubbed "correctly", people would STILL think its shoddy, badly animated crap, only it has old music instead of new

Eh, I never argued that. I guess I was still in shock that they managed to make that show even WORSE than it was in its original state.

Then I saw DBGT and realized that there's always another notch down...even from horribly edited crap. Laughing

Anyway, my biggest problem with 4Kids is that any property they get is only seen THEIR WAY on this side of the planet. You will never, ever, EVER see those shows in an uncut, subtitled format. I know they target little kids, and I know none of their properties (at the moment) is anything I'd ever want to see in a million years, but still...it'd be a nice touch...maybe just throw some subbed Pokemon episodes out there in some cheap box set with shoddy packaging... Wink

But then they have that "image" thing they wanna uphold, and a subtitled edition would bring up "IT BE EVIL!" cries among soccer moms with nothing better to do with their time. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2