• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Heat Guy J hits MTV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbkir

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:30 pm Reply with quote
So MTV's going to try another animation. And a good recent one at that. Great! The more anime outlets, the merrier. Folks are assuming the worst about MTV's editing for commercials. I don't think they can be any more intrusive than TechTV. But until we see the actual presentation, let's give them the benefit of the doubt. And welcome another anime outlet to the ole' cable box. It seems that Adult Swim is seeing more and more anime competition. There's TechTV, International Channel, Anime Network and now MTV. Who knows, maybe SciFi will get back into anime. (^_*)
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, if TechTV BBS has taught me anything, if it's not Tech, then why show it. Razz Well, in MTV case, anything goes. Heck, the last time I tuned in to this so called Music TV was some rock music special (It was a look back to 80's I think.) and The Osbunes for 30 minutes (If I misspelled, opps.) until the some part were Ozzie started to do Yoga. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:13 am Reply with quote
From what I hear, MTV was one of the first cable networks to show anime. (The Streamline Neo Tokyo.)
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:14 am Reply with quote
MTV is making a good choice, even if weird, acquiring Heat Guy J. They are a good outlet for trying out what's popular with the teen/20s scene. Anime is "in" right now. I guess, to me, it's just weird seeing MTV and anime in the same sentence. It would be like the "popular kid" in high school being in the chess club or something. But, anime is no longer an "underground" thing, it's out in the open and the majority love it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:22 am Reply with quote
Or maybe, it'll just create another generation of mindless zombies who will only watch certain anime shows. (Just like they'll only listen to what's popular on the radio.) But it's already happened with the failure of Millennium Actress at the box office, so it'll be nothing new.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:31 am Reply with quote
GATSU: Yeah, but that happens with everything in the "niche turned popular" genre. It just happens. However all you have to do is just accept it and move on, it's not like you have anything to prove

Besides, if anything this might bring prices down on stuff. And there's a lot of people whinging about prices.
Emesis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... I've been expecting something like this for a while. I saw commercials for Heatguy J on MTV a few months ago, and I was like... WTF? Why is a commercial for an ANIME on the preppiest network there is?

BTW, MTV showed part of the Animatrix too... albeit very late at night.. It was "Beyond" I think.

Anyway, I'm excited about the whole thing. Anime becoming popular with the mainstream=more people will buy DVDs=lower prices to appeal to the new group of people who are used to paying $20 for a DVD. Ooh, and besides that, finally people will side with me on the "Anime is NOT cartoons" debate...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Emesis wrote:
finally people will side with me on the "Anime is NOT cartoons" debate...

Well, that's kinda stretching it since anime IS cartoons...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalium

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking that this is a good sign. After all, proliferation of anime is a good sign of things to come, isn't it?

MTV enjoies great popularity among those that might not be exposed to anime in any other way. A growing fanbase is always good.
space clam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm naturally against MTV, being a fan of hard-core metal, but I don't want to get my hopes up. First, the edit dilemma: MTV edited "gun" out of Seether's "Driven Under" and "gun, dead, and bullet" out of Sum 41's "Still Waiting." I think this is going to go the path of 3 South, Clone High, etc. It's gonna be fun for about 3-4 weeks, then no one will ever see it again.

--I flush the toilets of weakness with mushroom clouds in hand...--V-Shaped Mind
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah...I forgot MTV edits random "negative words." And not just words like "shit" & "f*ck" as per FCC standards, or "kill" & "murder" like Cartoon Network does, they edit words on the level of "hurt" and, as space clam said, "gun!"

Yeah, I have so many personal strikes against that damned network I tend to forget some of them. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Emesis wrote:

Emerje

anime ARE cartoons. Exact same way of producing them, we just call it anime to seperate it from other forms of cartooning

But anyway, this is a good thing and despite what the network stands for, I'm still behind this
nixice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:07 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
I'm naturally against MTV, being a fan of hard-core metal, but I don't want to get my hopes up. First, the edit dilemma: MTV edited "gun" out of Seether's "Driven Under" and "gun, dead, and bullet" out of Sum 41's "Still Waiting."

MTV edits specific words and content out of music videos because they made a stand back in the early 90s against the glorification of guns popular in gangsta rap, and even though some good songs and videos rely on the connotated image of a gun (I think it was a Lil' Kim video about spose abuse where she assaults her dead friend's wife-beating killer), they've stuck to the policy. As standards go, they're at least even-handed and up front about it (as opposed to censoring done on TV shows, where it's anybody's guess who's controlling the scissors) and it's better to be flat-across fair than make exceptions all the time -- even hip-hop haters could spot the lack of balance when all the white kids' music gets through unchecked for the same violations.

In any case, their TV shows are a lot more lax (obviously -- how could they ever get through an MTV Movie Awards show without a clip of gunplay in "Best Action Sequence"?) I think the only concern really worth fretting with MTV picking up the show is how much they'll snip for time constraints and how fair treatment it'll get as placement in their line-up.

Too bad for Clone High, BTW. Maybe at least HGJ will give me one reason to watch the network again...
ashram12

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:02 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen HeatGuy J yet, so can anybody give some ideas why this particular series was picked up by MTV? The serie's character design are so much like Escaflowne's, I'm having preconceived notion of what the show is like. And I don't think Escaflowne and MTV would mix well. :P
Emesis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Emesis wrote:

Emerje

anime ARE cartoons. Exact same way of producing them, we just call it anime to seperate it from other forms of cartooning

But anyway, this is a good thing and despite what the network stands for, I'm still behind this
]

Ah Christ, who woulda thought that little one sentence I put in there would cause so much controversy Razz

I think anime is the same as cartoons, but we should call any Japanese animation "anime" and anything American "cartoons", because otherwise we wouldn't be able to tell which is which...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4