• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Demon Prince Enma Sub.DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Sorry.
I still think of Geneon as Pioneer & find myself typing that & having to correct myself since most would probably wonder who the hey I'm talking about.

I'm really patient on horror titles, so I'm willing to give them more of a shot which I was lucky on Lunar Legend Tsukehime. I found the first disc very slow(dull?), but by the end of the 2nd, I couldn't wait to see how the story ended on the 3rd.

And Geneon's pretty good at supplying decent horror titles, so I'll gamble on stuff like Ayakashi. Enma, the draw was that it's horror & Go Nagai. Even Enma had some of his clothes optional mode. The regular list price is $30 for 60-125 minutes with pre-order price around $23. This one promised some nice extras (Yep, watched all the interviews so it too far longer than the 80 minutes listed to view. They were long interviews, but interesting to see what the actors were told about the project to come up with their performances). I know if I go for Geneon or ADV, I'll be lucky to get clean openings. The packaging including a little book threw it into the "special edition" mode whether it was called that or not. (The book was cute-the couple Go Nagai original comics included).
Maybe if Bandai Visual had called it Special Edition or Deluxe Edition (Limited! People love Limited) they could pass off the higher price.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I can get 3 hours of Shuten Doji for a lot cheaper than Enma at ADV's sales.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

The ironic thing about this? Alright, Hellsing was mentioned by CCSYueh. Now then, take a look at the recent OVA adaption, Hellsing Ultimate. Twenty-five dollars for the regular edition, one forty-something to fifty minute episode in each volume. Check out Demon Prince Enma. Forty dollars for each volume at forty-five or so minute episodes. Yeah, the latter lacks a sub, but beyond that Demon Prince Enma actually has enough content to justify the pricing if you are asking for comparisons. People on this thread complaining about the pricing aren't quite right here.

Of course, I'm going to ask you guys to be honest and say that you aren't going to buy it because you just plain don't like BV USA. Razz

Geneon can justify it, to an extent, since the OVA is still coming out in Japan and putting more than one episode per disc would result in more delays. Aside from Freedom, all of BV's shows are already finished in Japan. The regular edition of Hellsing Ultimate is about the same as most other DVDs. The specials in certain stores (Best Buy for volume 1, FYE/Suncoast for volume 2) make the special edition the same price as the average DVD. Meanwhile, Gunbuster 2's only edition is sitting on the same shelf for $35. A TRSI sale might get it for me for as little as $24 per volume, but that's still way too much for something I haven't seen already or know enough about to be sure I will really like it. And Geneon doesn't do this for all of their releases, only Hellsing Ultimate. This is normal for BV.

And then there is the fact that I am familiar with the manga and I really like Hellsing. There are very few other situations in which I would consider shelling out this kind of money.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Maybe if Bandai Visual had called it Special Edition or Deluxe Edition (Limited! People love Limited) they could pass off the higher price.

Probably very true considering everyone wants to have the LE that way if they happen to become very popular you can hold it over your otaku friends that you have the LE of DPE 1.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It sounds interesting but its too damn expensive right now. I'll either rent it at some point or get it if I can find it really cheap.

I think you've really hit this on the head so to speak HitokiriShadow. Bandai Visual has a lot of titles that I am really interested in, heck after reading the review for Demon Prince Enma (a title I was sitting on the fence ) I am certainly willing to give it a shot. But it won't be via purchase it's going to have to be a rental for me.

The ironic thing about this? Alright, Hellsing was mentioned by CCSYueh. Now then, take a look at the recent OVA adaption, Hellsing Ultimate. Twenty-five dollars for the regular edition, one forty-something to fifty minute episode in each volume. Check out Demon Prince Enma. Forty dollars for each volume at forty-five or so minute episodes. Yeah, the latter lacks a sub, but beyond that Demon Prince Enma actually has enough content to justify the pricing if you are asking for comparisons. People on this thread complaining about the pricing aren't quite right here.

Of course, I'm going to ask you guys to be honest and say that you aren't going to buy it because you just plain don't like BV USA. Razz

I only paid $18 for Hellsing. Correction: $16.19
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

I only paid $18 for Hellsing. Correction: $16.19

You could take an equal discount price and slap that onto any of BVs discs. Discount or not, they're all a relative price even with 50% marked off.

Add the fact that if you want to get a 5.1 japanese version of Hellsing Ultimate, you HAVE to buy the premium edition or you get shafted.

Subsequently, BVUSA could put out simultaneous discs for Enma and Rean and junk, but that'd require time travel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2