• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more
You are welcome to look at the talkback but please consider that this article is over 5 months old before posting.
Last reply was 5 months, 6 days ago.

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Anime, Anime, Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
I'm a little sad that it'll be in Long Beach this year, since I've grown to really love the Anaheim location, but there'll be a certain charm in seeing Sailor Moons and Yunas dart about in the ghetto.

Um, you're a little confused, there, Bamboo. It's Anaheim which is the ghetto, especially when you consider the room where they had the dance last year. Rolling Eyes

Also, Linda Linda Linda is ok, but not really that great, unless you want to see some boring and (occasionally) unlikely teen subplots.

Have you never been to Long Beach, Gatsu? Two blocks in any direction from the Waterfront and you're smack in the ghetto. We're not talking, "hehe, I'm being cute by bagging on the AX dance room!!!!" ghetto, but like, the real ghetto.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Delta: Please. Anaheim's an overpriced watering hole.

Sakechan: Yeah, I have, and that's not even close to ghetto. There's a difference between a place which is full of old buildings, and a place which is full of dead rats, whinos, and trannies.
pixiebell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow! That anime/manga collection is huge! I could collect for the rest of my life and I am quite sure I will never have that much! I just got a new shelf so I can get my stuff off the floor, perhaps I will send in a pic of my teeny tiny collection.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Haha. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one bothered by the tagline for Rumbling Hearts. It was such a "...WTF..." moment... Rolling Eyes Especially with how pretty the artwork for the series is, you have pretty ads and then suddenly that tagline... kind of kills it.
absolutezero31

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
I feel absoultely pathetic after looking at that collection, I would only hope that the owner of it has on massive insurance policy on all of it. I know that this has been asked before but has anyone seen a collection that is larger than the one shown here?

The largest collection I think I've seen belongs to Adam Arnold; Executive Editor and Webmaster for Seven Seas Entertainment.

Check it out here.
kamikirimushi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Naaa, that collection is hugely impressive. But. I swear that there's a condom in picture seven? Anime hyper;
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Yay for Linda, Linda, Linda. Not just my favorite Japanese film (Kamikaze Girls and Shall We Dance? are currently at the top), but definitely something I liked for its slow pacing and gentle plot. I absolute adored Son, and felt her actress easily put out the best performance and completely stole the show. She did such great things with facial expressions and the way she spoke certain lines. Absolutely adorable.

Thankfully, I've gotten the main song out of my mind, but next month I'm likely placing an order over at CD Japan to get the soundtrack and the album the girls put out as well.

More and more I cannot wait to finally see Le Chavalier D'Eon. However, I won't start it until it's nearer to completion, because there's not much worse than waiting a month or two (or however long) between episodes in a good series. That actually ruined my initial viewing of Fullmetal Alchemist and eventually I just stopped watching (although I did restart and finish the series about a year later.)
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
As much as I liked the first parts of Chevalier D'Eon, like many of Production I.G.'s recent series (Blood+ and the currently-airing Guardian of the Sacred Spirit) it has severe pacing issues, which start around these episodes. Each series has an amazing start, but they steadily lose momentum. They have too many episodes slated and too little material to fill them, so they are often repeating the characters same woes over and over.

Putting aside the horrible pronunciation, unnecessary accents, and losing a lot of the conviction in Yamato's voice in the dub of Suzuka, the series does do a good job at mixing around the typical romance series. The hero amazingly isn't wishy-washy about which member he wants the most of the harem that immediately forms around him at the onset. He makes a choice from the start and actively pursues Suzuka. It's a refreshing change from romance series that never attempt to dissolve the harem until the final episodes. Yamato has his faults, but he gives off a refreshing and consistent effort to woo Suzuka from the start of the series.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Oh ok good- those all aren't dvd pics. Be careful with those stacked boxest- they look a bit unstable.
believe it or not, it acutally survived all the earthquakes so far...i lived in Japan for past 3.6 years...currently in Misawa, Japan...

britannicamoore wrote:
Why did tenchi cost $800? Just...someone tell me why. Did Tenchi himself come with it?
probably because it was 10th Anniversary set...here is the old listing from Rightstuf.com...you can see it on pic #10 at the top left corner...

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/8Crt8MxI39-mUTeDDr/browse/item/62207/4/0/0

britannicamoore wrote:

Surely this person buys their dvds when they're on some type of sale and not outright.
THANK GOD for Rightstuf.com sales...

britannicamoore wrote:
LightYagami wrote:
I would only hope that the owner of it has on massive insurance policy on all of it.

You can do that? <---is a 20 year old kid who doesn't really know about insurance or anything. Her parents take care of it. Embarassed
yes i do have renter's insurance...

britannicamoore wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
quote="CrazyCanuck"] And unless there's more manga hidden somewhere I can't see in those pictures, I've definitely got him beat there. I really need to clean up enough to make my collection properly photogenic...

I know for me I buy 10 or 20 volumes of manga at a time when I can find the $5 manga guy at Comic Con- so manga is the only place I could probably beat him. But alas- like you my shelves are...not so neat.
i'm not a real manga fan so i'm sure there are people with bigger collection...and for being a Korean, for some reason, i can't get into some of the manhwa translations from Tokyopop....don't ask why....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I WANT THE PERSON WITH THAT COLLECTION DEAD

(...as soon as i get it all in his/her will)

lol I'm kidding icepick.....you're so lucky! ^^

Last edited by Hotaruzuki on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:
Putting aside the horrible pronunciation, unnecessary accents, and losing a lot of the conviction in Yamato's voice in the dub of Suzuka, the series does do a good job at mixing around the typical romance series. The hero amazingly isn't wishy-washy about which member he wants the most of the harem that immediately forms around him at the onset. He makes a choice from the start and actively pursues Suzuka. It's a refreshing change from romance series that never attempt to dissolve the harem until the final episodes. Yamato has his faults, but he gives off a refreshing and consistent effort to woo Suzuka from the start of the series.

oh god the dubbing was HORRIBLE on Yamato's voice i had to get drunk to finish watching it...i thought rest of the characters dubbing fit the characters but Yamato's voice....i cringed at the mismatch...

as far as manga goes, it does get interesting after #2...it's like watching rollercoaster going up and down....just don't know where the plot goes....and how Suzuka's heart slowly melting away....

so try either manga or anime....both are pretty damm good....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Hotaruzuki wrote:
I WANT THE PERSON WITH THAT COLLECTION DEAD

(...as soon as i get it all in his/her will)

did i mention i was single?

ladies, start your engines!!!

Laughing
apocalypticPOTATO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quote
it's a pretty impressive collection certainly, but at the same time i'm not moved, because a lot of it kinda sucks. i mean, not all anime is good (oh god i just spoke the most unholy of words!)... a lot of it just seems like anime for anime's sake.
oh well who am i to judge? if i had enough money to buy that much I probably would get pretty close to that amount too.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Why did tenchi cost $800? Just...someone tell me why. Did Tenchi himself come with it.

i was wondering that myself. Even with Tenchi it seems like a rip off!

LightYagami wrote:
I would only hope that the owner of it has on massive insurance policy on all of it.

britannicamoore wrote:
You can do that? <---is a 20 year old kid who doesn't really know about insurance or anything. Her parents take care of it.

Yes you can get insurance riders for any major collection of anythiny in your house that wouldn't be normally covered. I have a special insurance rider for my book collection. Photos and value estimates were required. If you have a lot of something that will be hard to explain to an insurance adjuster it's a really good idea to get a special insurance rider now.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
1. Yes, Le Chevalier D'eon is the bees knees.

2. Sir or Madam Icepick, you are my hero. I bow in your presence.

Pacific Pikachu wrote:

Interestingly enough, the concert in episode 12 of Haruhi is based off the concert at the end of Linda Linda Linda.

I wanna see the movie even more now!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5