• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Here is Greenwood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masaki-baby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I remember renting the entire series back in like 2001 on dubbed VHS. I remember the boxes said, “not for mainstream audiences” or something like that, kind of amazing when you think all the anime being licensed at the time was the more sci-fi action, and this some how managed to get licensed.

Does any one know if the new DVD releases are edited?
I heard in the original VHS there was this one scene edited when..

spoiler[ shuns sister( I believe the joke was “she” was a girl) got molested by that one women in that episode there was some footage of her actually feeling her up <<;;;]

It brings back memories, I should get it, I always wondered what the original Japanese version sounded like, but I kind of miss the original dub as well.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
About 300 of my VCDs and DVDs are all suffering from laser rot now. I mourn the loss of all that anime. Even a few commercially purchased DVDs are like that too - primarily the original 50 or so DVDs that I bought way back when DVDs first came out - and my Xena and Hercules collection DVDs too - waah!

Wow. That's a lot of bad discs. Why are you having so much worse luck than most other people? I've only ever had two replicated discs crap out on me ever -- both of them were bootleg anime CDs that people gave me as gifts. While it makes sense to me that the cheap Chinese replication plants are the ones cutting corners of manufacturing,

Quote:
It's really a shame that this format works like this, but I remember reading something from Sony many years ago that the DVD format released to consumers was designed to self-destruct after several years, so they would always have the last laugh.

While nothing would suprise me at this point, the fact that this data has never been shared with independant studios, and the sheer number of lawsuits (from studios AND consumers) that this would result in make me suspicious that this is a rumor.

Quote:
But the studios still have problems. I believe their loss rate is somewhere around 19% of all discs they try to produce are bad - but at pennies a disc, they can afford to throw them away during the QC check.

This is interesting. I'd love to read more if you have a link or something.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
Greenwood is an old favorite - one of those titles I picked up on VHS and again when it came out on DVD, and it was worth every penny. I always laugh when I watch it, and I've seen it 7 or 8 times by now.

Small correction in the article, though - Hasukawa and Shun live on the second floor, next to Mitsuru and Shinobu; Furuzawa-senpai (with his motorcycle) lives on the 3rd, making his trips up and down the stairs carrying the thing that much more impressive.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I am a little worried as I have a bunch of burned discs that are all I wanted to keep from my VHS collection, they may go bad but I can't find out because I have problems with my DVD recorder at the moment, I'll try playing them on the computer I guess.
Otakuboy T

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Hey...I like the old dub. Shun's voice sounds a whole lot better than the new dub.

When I bought the DVD I decide NOT do donate the dub tapes to my library like I have benn doing with other shows when I get the DVDs (Slayers, Rayearth, etc)
domino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
I had no idea that even well-kept discs could deteriorate like that. Thanks for the heads up!

And Greenwood really is a gem. I'm usually not big on "oldies" anime, since the bad music, animation, and buckets of cheese usually get to me no matter how hard I try to appreciate them, but Greenwood was a surprise hit with me. It's charming, funny, and visually pleasing (for an older anime).

This article has inspired me to hunt down the DVD and watch it again. Thanks!

(and I recommend that others do the same, since way too many people are avoiding it because of its age or because of the whole "oh no a girly boy!" thing. Come on, people, it's only ten bucks and far more worth it than most NEW anime series' DVDs!)
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
One such specialty company, Taiyo Yuden, has the best reputation among archivsts (sic). If you buy a lot of discs, consider buying them online in bulk from reputable online stores like Meritline.com or SuperMediaStore.com.

I am unfamiliar with the above-named stores, but American-Digital has regular sales of Taiyo Yuden media (they also sell M-Lock keep cases—including the quads that Bandai has recently been using for their collections—which is what I buy from them).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4