• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-06-22]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuprin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Instead of rabbits for food, rabbits WITH food:

Not only can rabbits be great pets, but they can bring you breakfast as well.

(This rabbit is of course not mine, but the late net-famous Oolong, if you don't know who he was, shame on you.)
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote

I feel the sudden need to go to Denny's to eat pancakes...
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
All of this makes me want to go find a corner and quietly sob........
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You know, all I said was that it isn't funny and I don't appreciate it. Then everyone has to blow up and leap all over me and turn it into a big dramafest. Those stupid "huh huh I like to eat rabbits!" jokes that come up every single time I mention that I have pet rabbits are a pet peeve of mine and I reacted in kind. Sorry if that upset you, but I have the right to say when I don't think something is funny or when I find something annoying. That's all there is to it. This is getting blown completely out of proportion, and it's all because I stated my opinion on the issue and told some people who thought they were being funny that they aren't.

Quote:
I'm not saying I'm completely right, and yeah, you have a point that I'm being too sensitive about it, but my big complaint is not that I'm deeply offended or anything by your joke, I'm just pointing out that it's a tired, worn-out joke that gets tossed around every time the subject comes up and frankly it wasn't funny in the first place.

Stop saying that youre just said that you think those jokes arent funny. Maybe thats all you meant but its obvious that because you are tired of these jokes you got pissed off. You went a bit farther that that and got kinda pissy over the whole issue. Then you turn around and keep claiming that youre just pointing out that these jokes arent funny.

Idunno, I guess youre also kinda admiting that you did overreact a bit. w/e either way Im gonna drop this now. Even if you did overreact, I guess I am kinda jumping on you for it. I guess I too overreacted a bit. For that I apologise.

psyco101 wrote:
It seems to me that Zac isn't allowed to have an opinion here. Granted Zac can be rough around the edges (sorry dude but you really can sometimes) but with everyone constantly calling him out I'm started to understand more and more why he is like that sometimes. Anytime he even utters a hint of an opinion someone jumps out from behind a bush to go, "you f*cking loser you suck and you're dumb and a nazi bastard who hates on people!" before vanishing until the next Answerman column from which they can strike again. While often Zac is extreme in his views, for example on loli, they are just that, his VIEWS AND OPINIONS. I guess he's not allowed to have those anymore huh? I don't agree with a fair share of Zac's opinions, and I know the feeling is mutual, but I don't deny him the ability to have an opinion. The funny thing is 9 out of 10 people who jump down his throat here, and blow anything he says out of proportion, are the first to whine and bitch when someone, especially if it's Zac himself, does it to them. Seriously people, I'd love to know why it's so wrong for him to have an opinion of his own.

Hopefully youre not specifically refereing to me there cause I certainly dont have a problem with Zac having oppinions, even extreme ones. Ofcourse I may dissagree with them. Going back to the rabbit thing, If he had just been saying "those jokes arent funny", I might have still dissagreed but I wouldnt have had any kind of a problem with him saying it. Where some of the stuff he says bugs me though is when he cant state his oppinions withough being, as you put it "rough around the edges." And in fairness, you could say he's that way because people are always jumping on him but on the other hand you could also say that the reason people are always jumping on him is because he is that way. Vicious cycle i guess?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Hopefully youre not specifically refereing to me there cause I certainly don't have a problem with Zac having oppinions, even extreme ones.

I think you were included in it, but it wasn't referring ONLY to you. As Psycho said, this seems to happen frequently. Admittedly, how he states those opinions may, at times, be part of the problem, but people often react as if they are upset he had the opinion rather with how he stated it.
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I feel the sudden need to go to Denny's to eat pancakes...

I like IHOP better. I wonder, do bunnies even like pancakes?

Someone lock this thread up, its past the initial trainwreck and going into full blown emergency crews with foam and spectators.
[Apple]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:
[Apple] wrote:
Wow the tension in this thread just went from bad to worse.>.<. I think the subject is just better dropped.

And I thought a fight would break out because we would be discussing about religion, but I guess bunnies would do fine... :?

Serious.@.@.
I mean rabbits. . . .0_0.
I perfered when it was Jesus
(Now imagine what kind of fight would break out if there was a rabbit named Jesus.0_0)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Hopefully youre not specifically refereing to me there cause I certainly don't have a problem with Zac having oppinions, even extreme ones.

I think you were included in it, but it wasn't referring ONLY to you. As Psycho said, this seems to happen frequently. Admittedly, how he states those opinions may, at times, be part of the problem, but people often react as if they are upset he had the opinion rather with how he stated it.

yeah, thats kinda what i figured too. Youre right too, for every person that doesnt like how he states his oppinions theres probably at least one other person who just gets mad becuase Zac dissagrees with them.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Hopefully youre not specifically refereing to me there cause I certainly don't have a problem with Zac having oppinions, even extreme ones. Ofcourse I may dissagree with them. Going back to the rabbit thing, If he had just been saying "those jokes arent funny", I might have still dissagreed but I wouldnt have had any kind of a problem with him saying it. Where some of the stuff he says bugs me though is when he can't state his oppinions withough being, as you put it "rough around the edges." And in fairness, you could say he's that way because people are always jumping on him but on the other hand you could also say that the reason people are always jumping on him is because he is that way. Vicious cycle i guess?

No I wasn't specifically referring to you or only you. If I was I'd mention you specifically. I don't like playing games like that so if I ever have a direct personal issue with someone I use their name so they know. I've very blunt, to a fault at times. Hope that clarifies your question.

As for the vicious cycle part and him jumping on people, that's Zac business and I don't know him well enough at all to make any sort of statement on that and his state of mind so I won't. Maybe he'll answer that himself, maybe he won't.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I actually wasn't thinking of anyone in particular when I posted that. Whether people believe that or not is their problem. I was simply making a generalized blanket statement for the flak it seems Zac gets whenever he even utters a personal opinion. How he states his opinions and in what manner is his business. I do feel personally majority of the time the flak he gets is simply uncalled for, and people seem to hold him up on some pedestal and treat him with a double standard. Again, blanket statement and no names in particular. With that said though I am not in love with Zac alright people. I dropped his name out of jest earlier and somebody responded as if Zac and I are best buddies and have weekend barbecues together while throwing back some cold ones. I personally disagree with some of Zac's views and thoughts, and how he presents some of them, but I don't discredit him as a person for them. For any who think I'm some moderator pet or special cause with Zac trust me when I say I'm not as well liked with the staff as people think. Zac himself has disagreed with me and some of my views on these forums himself. He is entitled though to his personal thoughts and he does a pretty good job of making it clear when he posts what's fact and what's his opinion. As do most of the staff here.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I actually wasn't thinking of anyone in particular when I posted that. Whether people believe that or not is their problem.

Okay dude, I didn't mean to suggest you were. Perhaps I shoulda said that differently. I more meant it just to clarify that you werent refering to me which seemed fairly obvious. Sorry if it came across that way.

Quote:
I was simply making a generalized blanket statement for the flak it seems Zac gets whenever he even utters a personal opinion. How he states his opinions and in what manner is his business. I do feel personally majority of the time the flak he gets is simply uncalled for, and people seem to hold him up on some pedestal and treat him with a double standard.

I think what happens is people expect more from him becuase of the amount of influence he has. he's not just another random dude on the forums. Is that fair? Idunno probly not. Thats probly the reason ofr it though.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote
That picture of the rabbit with the pancakes on its head has a vague resemblance of one of my coleagues at work. Indeed if it was smoking a bent pipe as well if would be a spitting image. He's from Yorkshire and thoses pancakes look like the flat cap he sometimes wears.

I unreservedly apologise to Zac and anyone else who was even remotely upset by my lame attempt to be funny about rabbits. I'll put it down to our different ages and culture. British humour can be very crass at times I know.
I've had pet cats, and an aquarium once, but never a rabbit. We are overrun with wild ones here in the UK and have been for years. I have even participated in kulls on my Father-in-law's farm many years ago because of the amount of damage they had caused to crops and hedges. They also get plagues of mix mitosis which is nasty stuff and quite harmful to cattle and sheep as well. However, it's not uncommon to find rabbit available for sale in our local butcher shops along with other game meats. My daughter has a friend who had a pet rabbit, but it had to be put down not too long ago because it got mix mitosis. They were both heart broken over it.
We are funny creatures where we keep animals as pets but also have no qualms eating the same species. But then there are humans who happily eat other humans, but I won't go there today. I'm definitly not one of them, I assure you, and I'm sure Zac will agree with me when I say that it takes all kinds to make a world whether we like it, or not.
I'll just get my coat. Arrow

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Case

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I dropped his name out of jest earlier and somebody responded as if Zac and I are best buddies

That'd be called sarcasm.

It's just funny how after arguing with Zac yourself you can jump at me and say how Zac is so right about me. You're quite the drama queen.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:38 am Reply with quote
Case wrote:
You're quite the drama queen.

There's a lot of that going round. How about you guys call a 24 hour moratorium on responding to each others' posts, just to cool you both down...?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote
psycho: I'll admit flat out that I hold Zac to a higher standard, because he IS a moderator and he IS someone who has a greater duty on this site. If we were on any other site I wouldn't hold him to such a standard, but on this site I do because of his place on it. If I'm rude to you on the street, you think I'm an @ss but otherwise don't say anything. OTOH, if I work at a restaurant and am rude to you at WORK you're likely to hold that against the place of business, even though I might've just been having a bad day.

In this discussion at LEAST, I'd like to think I gave the benefit of the doubt, I explicitly ASKED Zac what he was saying. In other threads I probably have not been as polite, but to speak from my PoV, as I stated, an issue I have with Zac often isn't that he HAS opinions, it is how he expresses them. Whether intentional or not, whether it's conscious or not, and whether it's even FAIR or not, Zac often comes across as:
I think X, and anyone who disagrees with me is a (pick any or all that apply): moron, uneducated prick, pedophile, thief, communist, mysoginist, fascist, evil overlord, etc.

Look at this thread, how some posts devolved into basically calling Christians morons and/or extremist wackos who want to lock up or kill everyone else. To say nothing of the various references to the "neocons", which make me wonder how many people even know what that term MEANS rather than just using it as a pejorative for "faceless, WASP fascists". I'm not saying those comments are FROM Zac or any ANN staff, but that's a question of moderation and the fact that people are totally comfortable bashing like that speaks to the culture of the site. I'm not saying I'm OFFENDED, but I am BOTHERED by it and I think people of my view have at least as much right to that discomfort as Zac has to his over unfunny jokes about eating rabbits. And considering that I only entered the discussion because Zac implied (but did not STATE, I grant that fact) that people with the opposing view did not have the RIGHT to be offended, and when that sort of opinion comes from a moderator, it CAN be incredibly intimidating for a user.

I'm not saying Zac is a fascist or anything sinister or evil, I'm saying he comes ACROSS as very strident and if he insists on making his controversial (politically speaking) opinions public, he IS going to catch flak for them, even more so than other users because people might CARE more what Zac thinks rather than "user #4729". But it's also like if you walk into a room with 20 people 10 of whom LOVE Sailor Moon and 10 of whom HATE it and all 20 are arguing the point. If you walk in and loudly proclaim EITHER position, half the room is gonna jump down your throat and argue the opposite.

That's just my opinion and is the last I'm going to speak on it. For MY position, I INTEND this as constructive criticism to help for better discussion and less ire in the future. It is not INTENDED as a personal attack or in any way to say Zac is a bad person. For my own position I'll admit I'm an opinionated SoB who WILL on occasion INTENTIONALLY tell people I disagree with that they are idiots if they are holding what I consider to be an unsupportable position and they do nothing to show me otherwise. If Zac or whoever wants to rebut me or otherwise tell me I'm wrong, go for it. At most, I'll explain in PM if I think you've mistaken my opinions but that's the last I'm posting about this on this thread.

Last edited by HeeroTX on Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Okay dude, I didn't mean to suggest you were. Perhaps I shoulda said that differently. I more meant it just to clarify that you werent refering to me which seemed fairly obvious. Sorry if it came across that way.

I think what happens is people expect more from him becuase of the amount of influence he has. he's not just another random dude on the forums. Is that fair? Idunno probly not. Thats probly the reason ofr it though.

I wasn't trying to be rude with my statement, just saying if I meant you, or anyone else, I'd say it. As I said, I'm blunt to a fault at times so 9 times out of 10 you'll know when a comment is directed at you. I can understand what you're saying about people expecting more from him because of his position here. However, I see a difference between him posting on a subject as Zac the admin/mod/editor/whatever other role and Zac as the individual. I can understand, and expect myself, a certain level of knowledge from him regarding his posts on anime. He once told me "I don't go to a mechanic's shop and tell him how to work on a car." Well ANN, as it pertains to the anime industry, is his shop. So when he posts on a specific title, news article, or something else dealing with a specific anime source I expect him to be more knowledgeable then most. That's his job. When it's something else, like the Answerman column which he said himself is not real journalism but more or less just for fun, and he's posting as a normal person like the rest of us I don't think it's fair to apply that same standard and expect him to write some Pulitzer prize post. I think one big problem is people expect him to always be Zac the editor and don't let him be Zac the casual poster with an opinion other then the official one by ANN. You gotta remember, most of the time he has to be all nice and politically correct for the sake of ANN. He can't just say what he may be thinking whenever he wants. So, when he gets a chance here his views can be more extreme at times. Granted this is mostly just my own personal deductions so don't assume I'm right.

Case wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
I dropped his name out of jest earlier and somebody responded as if Zac and I are best buddies

That'd be called sarcasm.

It's just funny how after arguing with Zac yourself you can jump at me and say how Zac is so right about me. You're quite the drama queen.

Dude are you still complaining because I challenged you in your thread? I'd love to know where I said "Zac was so right about you" in the first place. So please don't make up stuff and put words in other people's mouths. You wanted your thread locked, it was, so why don't you let it go and move on?

edit--- I didn't notice your post at first abunai, sorry.

abunai wrote:
Case wrote:
You're quite the drama queen.

There's a lot of that going round. How about you guys call a 24 hour moratorium on responding to each others' posts, just to cool you both down...?
- abunai

At the risk of sounding like a "he started it first" response I'll point out I had stopped and I'm not the one dragging any unnecessary issues out in non-related threads. I purposely didn't use his name when I made that one comment here so as to not drag the issue out. I also wasn't mad or worked up to begin with, nor am I now. I simply responded to his posts in a different thread and he wanted to make it seem like I had some crusade against him and how I always argue with him (when in fact this is the first time I can ever remember posting to him here directly on any issue) which wasn't the case. The thread was locked by Zalis at case's request and that was that, issue over and done with. As long as he doesn't keep dragging it out I'm more then happy to just smile and move on. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 20